Gallen fined $10 000 for racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined by NRL for racially abusing Mickey Paea

May 25, 2009

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen has been fined $10,000 by the NRL for his alleged racial comment directed at St George Illawarra forward Mickey Paea on Saturday night.
An angry Paea told the referee Gallen had racially vilified him after he'd tackled the Sharks forward late in the Toyota Stadium clash, which the Dragons won 26-4.

But Paea declined to make an official on-field complaint and the pair reconciled after the game.
The league said in a statement it was fining Gallen $10,000 for a breach of the NRL player code of conduct.

“While there is no on-field audio of the words used by Gallen and while Paea has declined to make a formal complaint under the racial vilification policy, there is little doubt from the on-field audio that there was a racial issue involved,'' the NRL statement said.

“It has also been confirmed that Gallen has since apologised for his on-field comments.''

NRL chief executive David Gallop said the league was adopting a zero tolerance policy in regard to racism.

“While the apology is certainly an important step in the right direction, there needs to be a clear recognition that racial vilification is not tolerated in rugby league,'' Gallop said in the statement.

“This is not something that happens on a regular basis and it is not something that can be dismissed under the guise of what happens on the field stays on the field.

“I respect the fact that Mickey Paea has dealt with the issue one-to-one and that he wishes to move on.

“However, the area of racial vilification is also something that is bigger than two individuals, it involves a principle that we must support across all areas of the game.

“I don't believe racism is a part of rugby league and I don't suggest that these sort of comments represent a racist view, but I do believe that it is important everyone knows there are boundaries that simply can't be crossed.

“Excuses such as the heat of the moment or gamesmanship, when they are offered, simply don't change that fact.”

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25534860-5018866,00.html

M

mofo sixx

whats the point of a half ass forced apology,

its obviously how he feels,

he doesnt class himself as a prop, more of a grand wizard,

d_eye

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just keeps on rolling at the sharks.
Just sick of it. Wake up up sharks already.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
What a joke!!!!!!!! So he called Mickey a "black ****". So ****ing what!!!!!!!! They are just words. I have been called a "white ****" 100's of times playing footy in the bush and you shrug it off and get on with the game! One rule for the black players....... And something that Gallop should have kept his nose out of.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
lol captain is a racist, i'm sure the sharks sponsors will be lining up now... lol gallen = grub.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a joke!!!!!!!! So he called Mickey a "black ****". So ****ing what!!!!!!!! They are just words. I have been called a "white ****" 100's of times playing footy in the bush and you shrug it off and get on with the game! One rule for the black players....... And something that Gallop should have kept his nose out of.

Yeah, lets just sweep it under the carpet

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
Thats ignoring it, and what sweeping it under the carpet is about
No it is about showing some balls and dealing with it. As I have said before, I have been called a white **** many times before. What do you think the referees or the commitee would say if I made a complaint? They would laugh and tell me to go away and harden up!

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hope this puts a dent in his selection chances for NSW.
There are many players with the ability to do what Gallen does, with the benefit of having more skill & brains than grubby Gallen.
QLD haven't "out - toughed" NSW in the past series, they have "out skilled" & "out smarted" us.

Andrew Ryan immediately springs to mind, as does Allan Tongue, Luke Lewis, Trent Waterhouse....no doubt there are others.

Justen

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If he is fined he did it?

Then how how come is still 'alledged'?

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No it is about showing some balls and dealing with it. As I have said before, I have been called a white **** many times before. What do you think the referees or the commitee would say if I made a complaint? They would laugh and tell me to go away and harden up!

Doing nothing is not dealing with it

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gallen Fined For Racial Abuse

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25534860-5018866,00.html

Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen is set to fight the $10,000 fine imposed by the NRL for his alleged racial slur at St George Illawarra forward Mickey Paea. .

In a dramatic turn of events at Cronulla Leagues club on Monday night, Gallen said he would be contesting the fine and would enter a meeting between the Sharks board and NRL chief executive David Gallop to plead his case.

Gallen's manager David Riolo arrived at the club at 5.30pm (EST) where he was expected to accompany his client in the meeting.

An angry Paea told the referee Gallen had racially abused him after he'd tackled the Sharks forward late in the Toyota Stadium clash, which the Dragons won 26-4.

The fine may only be the tip of the iceberg however with Gallop indicating the forward's role as captain would be up for discussion during scheduled talks with the Sharks board.

Gallop arrived at Cronulla Leagues at 3:40pm on Monday where the Sharks board will be called upon to explain a long list of off-field indiscretions and deliver the club's plan for financial survival in the face of a $9 million debt and ongoing sponsor backlash.

Asked should Gallen be stripped of the captaincy, Gallop said as he entered Cronulla Leagues Club: “It will certainly be an issue that we will be talking to the board about now.

“It's one thing for the matter to be dealt with as between Paul Gallen and Mickey Paea, but it has broader ramification in our view and is worth of a penalty on the player.

“There's clear evidence that the racial slur was made, the player's apologised for it ... it won't be tolerated in our game and that's why the penalty has been imposed.''

Paea declined to make an official on-field complaint and the pair reconciled after the game, the NRL fining Gallen for a breach of the NRL player code of conduct.

Gallop said the league was adopting a zero tolerance policy in regard to racism.

“While the apology is certainly an important step in the right direction, there needs to be a clear recognition that racial vilification is not tolerated in rugby league,'' Gallop said in the statement.

“This is not something that happens on a regular basis and it is not something that can be dismissed under the guise of what happens on the field stays on the field.

“I respect the fact that Mickey Paea has dealt with the issue one-to-one and that he wishes to move on.

“However, the area of racial vilification is also something that is bigger than two individuals, it involves a principle that we must support across all areas of the game.

“I don't believe racism is a part of rugby league and I don't suggest that these sort of comments represent a racist view, but I do believe that it is important everyone knows there are boundaries that simply can't be crossed.

“Excuses such as the heat of the moment or gamesmanship, when they are offered, simply don't change that fact.”

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.......

They have evidence that he said this but he only gets a 10k fine and no games suspension after making racist comments?

And he is allowed to play Origin next week?

What a disgrace. Add this to a long list of Gallop f**k ups. How can you say you are "cracking down" on racism when you are letting Gallen play Origin right after making racist remarks?

Yet Brett Seymour gets two weeks for getting drunk in public and Brett Stewart 4 weeks for the same thing.

Meanwhile racist comments get you a zero game suspension and likewise if you are guilty of assaulting your girlfriend you get no suspension.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.......

They have evidence that he said this but he only gets a 10k fine and no games suspension after making racist comments?

And he is allowed to play Origin next week?

What a disgrace. Add this to a long list of Gallop f**k ups. How can you say you are "cracking down" on racism when you are letting Gallen play Origin right after making racist remarks?

Yet Brett Seymour gets two weeks for getting drunk in public and Brett Stewart 4 weeks for the same thing.

Meanwhile racist comments get you a zero game suspension and likewise if you are guilty of assaulting your girlfriend you get no suspension.
To be fair Barry Ward and Bryan Fletcher weren't suspended by the NRL for the same thing. If anything it's a disgrace that Cronulla hasn't taken any action and will continue to let the racist be the captain of their club.

But he's probably a good representative of the racist bogans in the area so I can see their reasoning.

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
Perhaps the reason the penalty wasn't in the form of suspension is because there is no definitive evidence, but all evidence points to the racial abuse occurring.

10 grand is still a harsh penalty tbh.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Perhaps the reason the penalty wasn't in the form of suspension is because there is no definitive evidence, but all evidence points to the racial abuse occurring.

10 grand is still a harsh penalty tbh.
So if there is no clear evidence then why is he getting suspended or fined at all?

You can't just fine someone based on one persons word.

I thought they must have found clear, definitive evidence to have done this but if they haven't then that is an even bigger joke.

And look who is "defending Gallen" now. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.