Opinion Future halves

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
When we signed Foran I said to some friends that he should change his game and take control of organizing the attack, his running style was causing most of his injuries...It's easier said than done
I was hoping he'd be the NZ Cooper Cronk but he's never going the be that player. He's adamant with his play style.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yep but you said you can’t have two rookies steering the ship.
Personally we should throw them to the wolves they can’t produce worse then the shit I’ve watched so far from Lewis
You can ruin their career. Throw them into the deep end next year when we'll have a more competitive team. Confidence is everything.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You can ruin their career. Throw them into the deep end next year when we'll have a more competitive team. Confidence is everything.
Don’t agree. Unless it’s injury a player will ruin their own career if there just not that good. These guys need playing time this season will be over by round 5 so develop our future. Get them ready for 2021

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Don’t agree. Unless it’s injury a player will ruin their own career if there just not that good. These guys need playing time this season will be over by round 5 so develop our future. Get them ready for 2021
I think you guys need to understand it doesn't really matter what line-up we throw out there. Everyone has a different ideal line-up too. I personally think we should be setting up our team this year for next year but I don't know who we're targeting or recruiting and neither do you. E.g. I would buy a top fullback, half and hooker so DWZ would be playing on the wing for e.g and someone like Meaney would be playing fullback until the end of the season.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree but I’ probably like to see them both if we had an experienced hooker that would help their game a lot. But I do agree with your point you look at both of them and they don’t lack confidence. The special players don’t they just belong out there.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We need to buy an experienced half if Foran isn't re-signed. We have more than enough money to do it and contracts don't mean anything these days if you offer enough money. Keary's reported to be on ~700k at the Roosters. We can offer him in the millions.
Alot of people shit on the idea... But in hindsight I think Aidan Sezer would have been good.
1. Averillo
6. Sezer
7. Wakeham
Better than what we have now in the same positions imo

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The amount of times foz set up Brett Stewart and Steve matai for tries in his manly days was amazing.
We need to surround him with speed * averillo/* needs to play a full game
When we signed Foran I said to some friends that he should change his game and take control of organizing the attack, his running style was causing most of his injuries...It's easier said than done
It will be no coincidence when you see the likes of DWZ and Reimis Smith play a lot better this weekend and our forwards dominate opposition. A world class half this week will show how much of a difference it makes even to a poor squad. I expect to see Jackson and Elliot running better lines and our kicking game to be smarter. Forans influence alone out there will lift this team.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Alot of people shit on the idea... But in hindsight I think Aidan Sezer would have been good.
1. Averillo
6. Sezer
7. Wakeham
Better than what we have now in the same positions imo
Truly think we have seen enough of Wakeham to realise he needs to be the dominant half to play well. Kid doesn't like playing in moments, kid wants to be in every moment.

If Foz stays healthy he and Wakeham will make a very good outfit.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
6. Jake Averillo
7. Brandon Wakeham

Can you imagine what these 2 can do with a real coach to bring out their potential, and this is the best time to play them because we ain’t doing fuckin shit this year
#FUCKPAY
Yes please

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wakeham and averillo can potentially be our halves for the next 12 or so years. Our best halves bar Foran. Hopefully Foran can mentor them two specifically through out the year. More potential than Lewis and cogger that’s for sure

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really loved the old school way of bringing players into First Grade after they played very well and were successful in reserve grade..

Lewis, Cogger, JMK, Meaney never dominated in reserve grade.. So how can we expect them to be a success in first grade..

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
I really loved the old school way of bringing players into First Grade after they played very well and were successful in reserve grade..

Lewis, Cogger, JMK, Meaney never dominated in reserve grade.. So how can we expect them to be a success in first grade..
They won the grand final in CC not the newbies like cogger but lewis was killi g it got picked for us, they went on to still win the final

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why not something like:
3. Averillo
6. Foran
7. Wakeham

If/when Foran goes down, evaluate if Averillo is ready to move into 6

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think you guys need to understand it doesn't really matter what line-up we throw out there. Everyone has a different ideal line-up too. I personally think we should be setting up our team this year for next year but I don't know who we're targeting or recruiting and neither do you. E.g. I would buy a top fullback, half and hooker so DWZ would be playing on the wing for e.g and someone like Meaney would be playing fullback until the end of the season.
You can only control what we have. No point worrying about who we are going to get. We have Wakeham and Averillo give them playing time in any realistic position. You can only get experience one way and that’s playing.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why not something like:
3. Averillo
6. Foran
7. Wakeham

If/when Foran goes down, evaluate if Averillo is ready to move into 6
I think Averillo has more the style of a FB than a Centre. But yeah that could work. Interesting to see how Bindi Obo (or however its spelt lol) develops, looks decent imo.

Could very well be in coming years after Foran
1. Averillo
6. Bindo
7. Wakeham

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What they will both benifit from is a fit Keiran Foran to play alongside and gain much needed experience.
Exactly. 2 rookie halves won’t necessarily work. Most take a few years to get a feel of the game. But let’s not underestimate the value of Wakeman and averillo having 10-20 full nrl games alongside Foran directing the ship. Sadly we may have missed the boat on that development, hope not and Hope they get even half a dozen games each with him.

But hey. Let’s continue with Wakeman sitting out of the squad and not playing any elite level footy for 3-4 months. And let’s re-sign him on top too and hope by next year he magically becomes first grade ready.

Like I said. We are neither competitive nor developing. We are in nrl purgatory. Serving up shit every week without any value moving forward.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Averillo has the potential to be like Ben Barba particularly with the new rules but he is more solid so won't be caught out as much defensively. He also appears to have his head screwed on and is a future leader for the club.

For now our best halves combination is Foran at 6 and Wakeham at 7.

Last edited: