Fullback

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That is true and we dont make many line breaks but its not just line breaks that ball support should be there. Its also the second phase play generated from offloads. I have seen plenty of instances where even the like of Tolman have stood in tackles and looked for someone to pass to and there is no support.
Our players are so bad at support play that Tolman got a late offload away when we were on their line and everyone had their back turned and weren't watching the ball at all.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our players are so bad at support play that Tolman got a late offload away when we were on their line and everyone had their back turned and weren't watching the ball at all.
Reason is they are accustomed to seeing Tolman take up the ball on the 4th and gets tackled
Desball lives on :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Speaking of support play, watching the game live I wondered where was averillo and Montoya when foran busted the line in the first half?
Replay shows Montoya jogging with no intent in following the play.
Jogging pace was Montoya going full throttle. He's a total snail and it's why he get's smashed in every early tackle hit up.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s played 15 games at FB for us and he’s improving and you said he won’t ever be a top10 FB. Considering there are only 16 FB spots in the nrl I just think it’s way too early to say never that’s all.

I believe he can turn into a very solid FB. We don’t need superstars in every spot.
He could be a luke pattern type of fullback... Safe as a bank. I think his game and confidence will improve with time

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Should the club persist with Meaney at the back next year and into the future?

The difference he has made at the back for us is immense. Less errors, runs the line out the back in attacking sets better than DWZ and he's shown he has a little more ball handling/passing skills than DWZ.

I don't think Meaney is ever going to be spectacular, but he's a good first grader. Happy for him and glad that Georgalis has actually played him in his true position as opposed to putting a winger at the back and a fullback on the wing lol.
I like the kid.he needs to put on5-6 kilos,learn how to back up like Luke patten use to.he has speed to burn!!much better then dwz.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He could be a luke pattern type of fullback... Safe as a bank. I think his game and confidence will improve with time
Perfect example actually, reminds me of patten very much.!! Same sort of style already..!!

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We won't know how avo goes at FB untill we see him there.

I think he has potential to be a great fullback.

But skill isn't everything at FB.

The things yet to be seen with avo at FB - is he confident in the air, howphow does he go with can he organize defence, can he read plays, what would his support play look like, is he vocal...

If he has all that along with what we already know he has, he could be anything.

Grechy21

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Persist with him. He can be a great fullback

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah as I said he isn't ever going to be spectacular. He's a smaller body, he doesn't run as hard as some fullbacks nor does he have the fancy footwork.

Still, just the fact he's a lot safer under the high ball and his positional play. If anything it shows that we are lacking an out and out fullback. DWZ is and will never be that. Hoppa is good, but just does enough to get the job done.
He is a very safe FB. Made a great tackle on Best yesterday.
He has been behind a woeful attacking backline and most times a beaten pack.
Always under pressure catching the ball 10 metres or so from our goal line with 3 defenders on him.
I would like to see him next year with a better attacking structure and.
He must be shaking his head as to why he came to the Dogs, as must Cogger.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Should the club persist with Meaney at the back next year and into the future?

The difference he has made at the back for us is immense. Less errors, runs the line out the back in attacking sets better than DWZ and he's shown he has a little more ball handling/passing skills than DWZ.

I don't think Meaney is ever going to be spectacular, but he's a good first grader. Happy for him and glad that Georgalis has actually played him in his true position as opposed to putting a winger at the back and a fullback on the wing lol.
He’s average at best. One of the worst support players I’ve ever seen, offer zero effectiveness kick returns and offers nothing in attack in set plays.

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He’s average at best. One of the worst support players I’ve ever seen, offer zero effectiveness kick returns and offers nothing in attack in set plays.
You are a hard marker.
He has played on the wing nearly all year.
No support players all year. Nothing to support.
Wait for Montoya to crack the line open? or Holland?
A pass from Lewis perhaps?
Support Tolman on the 4th?

BTW what set plays? I have been waiting 3 years for some sort of a set play from this mob.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need to chase S.Crighton to play fullback for us..
I think he would be an absolute game changer..
With Averillo at 6,and a quality hooker like D.Clarke from Warrington.
The team could look like this
Crighton
Cotric
Hoppa
Scott
DWZ
Averillo
Wakeham/Lewis/Green
To’Omaga
Clarke
Napa
Jackson
Okunbor
Thompson
JMK
Ogden
Britt
Doorey/Topine/Sue

i would release..
Holland
Montoya
Smith is lazy
Foran..unless ridiculously cheap
Tolman
Elliott likely gone
Thoughts guys?

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crighton
Cotric
Hoppa
Scott
DWZ
Averillo
Wakeham/Lewis/Green
To’Omaga
Clarke
Napa
Jackson
Okunbor
Thompson
JMK
Ogden
Britt
Doorey/Topine/Sue

i would release..
Holland
Montoya
Smith is lazy
Tolman
Elliott likely gone
Thoughts guys?
Give up on crighton penrith saved money for him hes signing a new contract there

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crighton
Cotric
Hoppa
Scott
DWZ
Averillo
Wakeham/Lewis/Green
To’Omaga
Clarke
Napa
Jackson
Okunbor
Thompson
JMK
Ogden
Britt
Doorey/Topine/Sue

i would release..
Holland
Montoya
Smith is lazy
Tolman
Elliott likely gone
Thoughts guys?
100% agree on S.Chrichton. This guy is going to be massive.

~$1.2M spent on your wingers though is ridiculous. No way Cotric signed with us and no way we offered him that money to be a winger.

Can Burton play 7? Put him there instead of the other 3

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Give up on crighton penrith saved money love for for him hes signing a new contract there
Yeah,I know he is likely to re-sign with Penrith,but I would love for us to put in a sneaky last minute offer for a year extra and 100k more a year,and a chance to play with his brother.