Fullback

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree but give it time I think with Barrett coming in we’ll see a completely overhauled game plan and could get the best out of him
We'll see.. Barrett will definitely get more out of a lot of players but Meaney's lack of strength and impact as a runner on returns and dummy half runs is what holds him back.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
NO. Kid means well and plays hard but way too small, doesn't follow the play, doenst link well with backs, has no passing game, cant really break the line. Just another basic fullback.
Give him till the end of the year as a thank you for your service. Then next year put in Averillo or buy us that rockstar fullback we been waiting for since Barba left back in 2013...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let’s write the 22 year old off already ...
He's played about 50 games which is enough to form an opinion on him. Do you watch him and think he can be one of the best fullbacks in the comp?

If he doesn't break tackles, can't pass, doesn't back up well and doesn't make many metres then what makes you think he can be an elite fullback?

Like I said he's our best option short term and is playing pretty well. But to be a contender we need someone better in one of the most vital positions in footy than what Meaney offers in my opinion. That doesn't mean he can't still be a decent winger, I just don't think he's a long term fullback.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's played about 50 games which is enough to form an opinion on him. Do you watch him and think he can be one of the best fullbacks in the comp?

If he doesn't break tackles, can't pass, doesn't back up well and doesn't make many metres then what makes you think he can be an elite fullback?

Like I said he's our best option short term and is playing pretty well. But to be a contender we need someone better in one of the most vital positions in footy than what Meaney offers in my opinion. That doesn't mean he can't still be a decent winger, I just don't think he's a long term fullback.

He’s played 15 games at FB for us and he’s improving and you said he won’t ever be a top10 FB. Considering there are only 16 FB spots in the nrl I just think it’s way too early to say never that’s all.

I believe he can turn into a very solid FB. We don’t need superstars in every spot.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hoppa is a lot better but Meaney at least looks safe for the time being.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes until Averillo is ready to step up, Meaney is handling it fine, in fact he’s pretty safe back there.!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He’s played 15 games at FB for us and he’s improving and you said he won’t ever be a top10 FB. Considering there are only 16 FB spots in the nrl I just think it’s way too early to say never that’s all.

I believe he can turn into a very solid FB. We don’t need superstars in every spot.
Having a fullback that can pass, break the line and get sets started off well with strong returns and quick play the balls is invaluable. Meaney doesn't do any of those things. So no, we don't need a superstar but we need a fullback who can do all of the above in order to reach our potential.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Having a fullback that can pass, break the line and get sets started off well with strong returns and quick play the balls is invaluable. Meaney doesn't do any of those things. So no, we don't need a superstar but we need a fullback who can do all of the above in order to reach our potential.
We shall see. His defensive awareness is much better then most FB’s at this point. Could have sworn I’ve seen him pass and even score a try from a dummy the other day against St George. I just wouldn’t be writing him off

Averillo is a classy young attacking player who’s preferred position is 5/8. So why manufacture him into a FB over the next two seasons when we have the halves we do?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We shall see. His defensive awareness is much better then most FB’s at this point. Could have sworn I’ve seen him pass and even score a try from a dummy the other day against St George. I just wouldn’t be writing him off

Averillo is a classy young attacking player who’s preferred position is 5/8. So why manufacture him into a FB over the next two seasons when we have the halves we do?
Well I'm hoping we can snag Burton and someone else in the halves and think Averillo could be a sensation at fullback.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well I'm hoping we can snag Burton and someone else in the halves and think Averillo could be a sensation at fullback.
Im not saying that view is wrong but realistically who’s coming to push Averillo out of the halves?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Im not saying that view is wrong but realistically who’s coming to push Averillo out of the halves?
Maybe they keep Foran and sign Burton? Who knows? So much is up in the air right now. First we have to see Averillo given a shot at fullback or in the halves to see how he handles it.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For the short term we have Fullback covered. Hoppa does an excellent job there and Meaney plays well there. I wouldn't be looking to buy a fullback for 2021. Let's wait to see if we can buy a gun for 2022.
What we do desperately need is to sort out our 6 & 7 combo and in need of a gun dummy half.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo should be utility next year, hoppa off contract end of 2021 and not getting any younger.. Avo fullback the following year.

i think you will find Baz will go with an experienced 1-5 next year, particularly the fullback spot. I believe our 6 and 7 wont be decided until season end.

1. hoppa
2. smith/meaney - i think smith gets the nod, its also his last chance to prove himself
3. cotric
4. Gildart, this will be finalized within the next month, we are a lot closer to signing him then people might think.
5. DWZ

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Averillo should be utility next year, hoppa off contract end of 2021 and not getting any younger.. Avo fullback the following year.

i think you will find Baz will go with an experienced 1-5 next year, particularly the fullback spot. I believe our 6 and 7 wont be decided until season end.

1. hoppa
2. smith/meaney - i think smith gets the nod, its also his last chance to prove himself
3. cotric
4. Gildart, this will be finalized within the next month, we are a lot closer to signing him then people might think.
5. DWZ
What makes you say that about Gildart

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sounds good. I think leave him there to the end of year see how he goes. He has been good. But has lots areas to improve on. And this is his opportunity

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I would be happy if we got Gildart. He is similar to Lomax but more explosive. If Lomax can score a try and get a try assist every game these days, then Gildart would adapt to the NRL just fine.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Gildart is not joining us lol

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Best had ......... a line break.
And Meaney showed him the sideline, then ran him down with speed and bundled him into touch. I know who won that exchange.

The way I see it Meaney spent time on the wing learning what it takes to play at NRL level week in week out and he is a much better player for it. There is still plenty of upside in his game plus at least 3 years of body growth still to come. I'm looking forward to seeing his further development when playing in a team with some strike power.

Go Dogs