Fullback

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I just watched the replay. I don’t give a fuck if it was 150-blot, Meaney not cleaning up that kick at the end is unforgivable. Just gave up.
Exactly. People hype up his speed, well what good is it when he's playing at half speed and shows no urgency? He did the same against Parra with that Moses kick back in field..

In both cases Meaney was caught a bit out of position but still had plenty of time to get to the ball and instead he was just jogging and showed no desperation to get there first.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney will never be our long-term solution, he is very weak and just hates a collision.

@Radio Raheem I said in another post that Hynes was a gun, he had a few errors in him yesterday but it was only his 2nd start ever, Meaney has had way too many chances but sadly we have no one else unless we try Averillo there.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney is the only real option as FB at present. He has speed, can take the high balls and has good kick returns.
Some people say he is to small. So was Les Johns, Barba, Silva, Bowen., etc.
Its not how big you are, its how good you are.
Hesv90kg if im not mistaken. Hardly small.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney is the only real option as FB at present. He has speed, can take the high balls and has good kick returns.
Some people say he is to small. So was Les Johns, Barba, Silva, Bowen., etc.
Its not how big you are, its how good you are.
I'd still give Meaney time with Barrett if we don't land a fullback of note. He just needs a few adjustments to his flaws. One being more decisive attacking the kicks and not hesitating with his wingers. I've seen 3 instances which have led to opposing tries.
I'd also like someone like el masri training him how to submit in tackles and not get ragdolled. I hardly ever saw this guy get bundled into touch for a small guy. He knew how to transfer his weight on the ground and not let the momentum of bigger wingers get the adavantage.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should the club persist with Meaney at the back next year and into the future?

The difference he has made at the back for us is immense. Less errors, runs the line out the back in attacking sets better than DWZ and he's shown he has a little more ball handling/passing skills than DWZ.

I don't think Meaney is ever going to be spectacular, but he's a good first grader. Happy for him and glad that Georgalis has actually played him in his true position as opposed to putting a winger at the back and a fullback on the wing lol.
Only thing he really needs is a side step. Wish someone could teach him that

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Exactly. People hype up his speed, well what good is it when he's playing at half speed and shows no urgency? He did the same against Parra with that Moses kick back in field..

In both cases Meaney was caught a bit out of position but still had plenty of time to get to the ball and instead he was just jogging and showed no desperation to get there first.
Yeah I don't understand how he's getting caught flat footed. I'm happy for him to see the season out at fullback. I've been a big supporter of him getting a fair go to try make the jersey his and for all his flaws he has improved in some areas.

I will say though given how fucked DWZ and Smith are ATM I'd have no problem with Meaney playing right wing outside Cotric next season.