Fullback theory. Luxury vs. Reliability

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Earlier I'd posted that Sloane would be a Reece Walsh in a top team. To elaborate... I think Walsh is good, but he's a "luxury" fullback. When he was at the Warriors, his good stuff was sensational, his bad stuff, which was often, was often punished.

He's better at the Broncos because he gets a double boost. They are good enough to defend his errors when he, often, pushes the play too hard. Turning the ball over.

But because they are good enough to defend his errors, he can try some really great stuff, which when it comes off is scintillating.

To be fair, Sloan being Walsh might be hyperbole on my part, but I've seen enough of the scintillating type plays from Sloan that I feel he'd do better in a better team. I could do without the hype around him though.

Look at Fatrell... he turns the ball over a lot. He gets away with it more, so that when his better stuff comes off, everyone shoots loads.

I much prefer an Edwards, CNK, Drinkwater, etc type. More reliable.

When he's not broken, why Turbo is that good is that he is much more selective, but also able to make stuff happen anyway. So he doesn't fall into luxury IMO. He's better than Edwards, but it's no use when he can't play the minutes Edwards does.

It's why though I wish we could keep Ava, he's a luxury player for us. We are not good at defending errors. And Ava can't push plays because he's a) too slight, so strong covering tackles have him coughing up the ball easily b) we can't defend his errors and so he has to play within himself often.