FTP Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrCharisma

My stepfather recently bought a USB datacable with driver so he can transfer ringtones and wallpapers onto his LG phone.

Anyway the cd didn't come with software and says you need to upload/download everything through FTP.

I just installed WS_FTP Pro and can't seem to find my host phone at all.

Should I use another program?

Also, my computer hasn't found the plug and play driver for the USB cable, however, the cd came with it's own installer... so really I don't know where I stand.

Any help?

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Does the phone have a built in network adaptor to support the USB interface? If so, does the phone even have an ip address?

What model is your phone?

M

MrCharisma

The phone is an LG HD6000

How the hell do I find the phone's IP address...

I'd assume it'd be the same as file transfering between computers using FTP

I just got Cute FTP Pro and I'm going to try my luck with that...

M

MrCharisma

Where the hell is MattyB the phone expert when I need him

*shakes fist*

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
well... u need an ip address to connect to any web address or device via FTP... I don't think your phone supports such features.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You may think the X6000 isnt the right model but it is, trust me
MB

M

MrCharisma

Thanks buddy,

I installed the driver via an installer on the cd, rather then the 'add new hardware' feature.

It gave me a 6 step instruction guide but the my Add New Hardware Wizard ain't dectecting the USB cable... ummm... I'm installing it where usually the printer is, so I'm positive port works. Better not have gotten a faulty cable

*shakes fist*

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
XP should detect it!
If it doesnt work,let me know ill see what i can find
MB

Greek Dog

Hijack your sh!t
Reaction score
shouldnt the phone be connected to the data cable for it to detect? you can have a USB cable connected to a pc but unless it is connected to a device, XP won't detect it at all.

M

MrCharisma

the phone is connected to the cable which is conected to the computer... lol

I recon it could be the cable... I know the drive is installed. I know the software is fine and I know the port is fine because I use it for my printer usually.

Stupid cable... it has to be...

M

MrCharisma

MattyB said:
XP should detect it!
If it doesnt work,let me know ill see what i can find
MB
XP isn't detecting it... when I get home from work, I might try slotting it into my other USB port which has the broadband connected to it.

Greek Dog

Hijack your sh!t
Reaction score
does the driver have any software regarding the port settings?
I know with my SE, I had to disable all other ports except for the one the phone was using, (was a bug in the software under XP SP2). Once all other com ports were disabled, the phone would be detected straight away

M

MrCharisma

Nope, the driver I installed used an installation setup off the cd. I couldn't actually get the Hardware Wizard to detect it so I could install the driver from there.

I'll definately have to try disabling the other com ports... FFS this isn't even for me, why am I bothering so much... stupid stepfather!

I want to take the cord home to my computer and try it out but I won't be able to take the phone with me. Ummm actually, if this doesn't work, I might take the cord home for the week and just see if my Hardware Wizard detects it.... just to see if it's the cord or something in my parents computer.

Greek Dog

Hijack your sh!t
Reaction score
if you just take the cord home the comp might not detect it as its not connected to the phone.

Stupid LG phones, my mate has one and it totally sucks

M

MrCharisma

This is why I don't trust anything which isn't Nokia. Nokia is the Mac of the phone world... easy to use and reliable.

Greek Dog

Hijack your sh!t
Reaction score
SE's are better than Nokia's ;)
there is this awesome software for SE's called Float's Mobile Agent. You can connect to your phone with it via bluetooth, cable or infrared, and sending files to and from phones and syncchronizing your calender is so eazy.

M

MrCharisma

I'm off to work, I'll try that disconnecting the other port options later. Any other ideas will still be accepted.

Thanks for that GD... btw, shouldn't you be working :p

Greek Dog

Hijack your sh!t
Reaction score
yes...
should is the operative word lol
now i'm off to Yum Cha

Status
Not open for further replies.