News From strength to strength: The injury catalyst behind Preston-mania.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From strength to strength: The injury catalyst behind Preston-mania.

It's not every day a player can thank a serious injury for setting up their NRL career but Bulldogs rookie Jacob Preston credits a badly broken leg for being the catalyst to his rise to the big stage.

In the space of 12 months, Preston went from a skinny playmaker weighing 70 kilograms in the Harold Matthews U/17's competition to a 95-kilo back-rower with speed and skill as he turned to his brother Luke to help with his rehabilitation..

"I ate heaps and was off my feet for a fair while but I looked after my rehab pretty well, I just saw it as an opportunity to come back stronger," Preston told NRL.com.

"I put on 25 kilos in that time. I was training at my brother's gym and he was massive for getting me back on track. We did a lot of lifting and with a mix of training hard and natural growth, I was a bit of a late bloomer with my size.

"I grew out of the halves pretty quickly. I actually started my junior career as a fullback but when I turned 17 I’ve been in the second row or lock."

Preston’s impressive debut season at the Bulldogs has him in contention for the Dally M’s rookie of the year honours with many predicting he will one day captain the club given his leadership qualities.

Bulldogs general manager Phil Gould spotted Preston while the Belrose junior captained the Roosters’ Jersey Flegg side last year with the forward set to come up against his former club for the first time on Sunday.

There was also a special family connection that got him to the Bulldogs with Preston's great grandfather, Ernest Flint, a former Canterbury Leagues president.

"That will be a cool experience coming up against a couple of the boys I used to train and play with so I can’t wait to go at it," Preston said.

"It was a better opportunity here and I’m pretty happy I took it. Any time I get a chance to put on the Bulldogs jersey I take it with both hands. I’m loving it.

"I got a call from my manager to say that Gus wanted to meet up with me and I was pretty shocked, it was amazing.

"I’m loving it, ever since I was a kid it was my dream to play in the NRL and I can't believe I've played as many games as I have already.

"Growing up I had all the Big League posters on the wall so to play in it now it’s pretty special. I had every team on the wall. It didn’t matter who but I was a Manly fan growing up so Anthony Watmough and Jamie Lyon were my guys."

After a refreshed break, Preston said the side wanted to build on their late victory against the Titans prior to the bye ahead of clashes against the Roosters, Eels and Sharks.

"It’s probably something we should stop making a habit of and try and lead from the front but it's obviously pretty cool to win at the back end and have that belief," Preston said.

"We have a few really big games coming up until our next bye [in Round 17] so it will be a good chance for us to build against some top sides."

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah he's a beauty,runs great lines,doesn't miss too many tackles and has plenty of tikka. Hope to see him in the mighty blue and white for years to come.
Found king last year and almost outdid it with Preston this year.

Keep them coming Gus. Has more talent spotting skills in his little finger then Noel cleal and des hasler have combined :p

Last edited:

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was sootin on the flute for long time.

Dude is money

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Crazy how these no names Gus finds end up being better then our big prized recruits. Eg ( thommo tpj and Kikau)
Although Kikau hasn’t been on the field barely. Hopefully he comes good.
Can’t wait to see who’s next to break out for us, maybe that queer ward fella will be next

Jonboi

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Waiting to see some of the usual kennel flogs try and even be negative on this kid

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From strength to strength: The injury catalyst behind Preston-mania.

It's not every day a player can thank a serious injury for setting up their NRL career but Bulldogs rookie Jacob Preston credits a badly broken leg for being the catalyst to his rise to the big stage.

In the space of 12 months, Preston went from a skinny playmaker weighing 70 kilograms in the Harold Matthews U/17's competition to a 95-kilo back-rower with speed and skill as he turned to his brother Luke to help with his rehabilitation..

"I ate heaps and was off my feet for a fair while but I looked after my rehab pretty well, I just saw it as an opportunity to come back stronger," Preston told NRL.com.

"I put on 25 kilos in that time. I was training at my brother's gym and he was massive for getting me back on track. We did a lot of lifting and with a mix of training hard and natural growth, I was a bit of a late bloomer with my size.

"I grew out of the halves pretty quickly. I actually started my junior career as a fullback but when I turned 17 I’ve been in the second row or lock."

Preston’s impressive debut season at the Bulldogs has him in contention for the Dally M’s rookie of the year honours with many predicting he will one day captain the club given his leadership qualities.

Bulldogs general manager Phil Gould spotted Preston while the Belrose junior captained the Roosters’ Jersey Flegg side last year with the forward set to come up against his former club for the first time on Sunday.

There was also a special family connection that got him to the Bulldogs with Preston's great grandfather, Ernest Flint, a former Canterbury Leagues president.

"That will be a cool experience coming up against a couple of the boys I used to train and play with so I can’t wait to go at it," Preston said.

"It was a better opportunity here and I’m pretty happy I took it. Any time I get a chance to put on the Bulldogs jersey I take it with both hands. I’m loving it.

"I got a call from my manager to say that Gus wanted to meet up with me and I was pretty shocked, it was amazing.

"I’m loving it, ever since I was a kid it was my dream to play in the NRL and I can't believe I've played as many games as I have already.

"Growing up I had all the Big League posters on the wall so to play in it now it’s pretty special. I had every team on the wall. It didn’t matter who but I was a Manly fan growing up so Anthony Watmough and Jamie Lyon were my guys."

After a refreshed break, Preston said the side wanted to build on their late victory against the Titans prior to the bye ahead of clashes against the Roosters, Eels and Sharks.

"It’s probably something we should stop making a habit of and try and lead from the front but it's obviously pretty cool to win at the back end and have that belief," Preston said.

"We have a few really big games coming up until our next bye [in Round 17] so it will be a good chance for us to build against some top sides."
Manly fan.

Bin him

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a good mix. He grew up making rep sides as a small half then he had a growt spurt. This is best kind of footballer.

Not like Aleki who was punishing guys at 13 years of age but when they caught up he was caught out.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did he have to say “natural size”

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At last a good story to read. Not some pumped up hype from TPJ or a hard done by story on Flanagan