From Mackay Daily Mercury

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobT

Mass debator
Reaction score
Ben could be the next JT

RUGBY LEAGUE: Former Mackay fullback Ben Barba has been compared to arguably one of the best rugby league players in the world.
There are marked similarities between Barba, now playing in the halves, and current Australian and Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston, according to league observers.
It seems the Canterbury Bulldogs would agree, having signed Barba on a new contract which will keep the talented 18-year-old at the club until 2010. Barba joined the Bulldogs' Jersey Flegg side midway through the 2007 season, and went on to score an impressive15 tries and 35 goals in 11 games.
He will start the year in the new under-20 National Youth Competition, but with only the first choice halves combination of Ben Roberts and Daniel Holdsworth in front of him in the top grade, a 2008 NRL debut looks promising.
"He's doing everything necessary to get a shot at first grade," manager Chris Orr said.
But the humble Barba is quick to brush off talk of an impending NRL debut, and said his first goal is to concentrate on his form in the under-20 competition.
"I just want to play a good season with the under-20s and try to get to the finals," he said.
The comparisons between him and Thurston, although flattering, dont sit too well with Barba. "It puts a fair bit of pressure on me," he said.
For the moment, Barba is relishing his time in Sydney and with the Bulldogs.
"I'm getting used to it here (Sydney), but I still miss my family," he said.
"But I'm pretty excited, Im enjoying it."
Barba is also benefiting from weekly training sessions with Andrew Johns.
"He's been helping me out a fair bit," Barba said.
In Mackay, Barba most recently played for Brothers, where he had a large part in setting up the team's 2007 season, and the Mackay Sea Eagles. Brothers went on to win the premiership. Barba comes from a big rugby league family, with brother Aaron set to be an integral part of the Mackay Cutters.

H

Haztrick

Thanks for that. But geeze they are putting a lot of pressure on it. He said it himself. That's not good. But hopefully Ben can fight through all the pressure and perform.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Barba to be australian internation and SOO of player this year. I want him at prop!

Paulina..

BrysonGoodwin♥
Reaction score
OMG!! barba is awesome haha i hope he debuts in NRL this year!!

Deception_2112

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he debuts i wonder if it'll be against the Cowboys..

Would be a good showing if he gave it to Thurston..

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
LyK OmG i am changing my username to Mrs.benbarbabill

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

looks very similar to the herald article. could be plagerism , get kicked out of uni for that.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is this like Braith abasta will be the next Brad Fittler? go the media, they can tell the future by a few stats and and a tough pic.

sherwinisagun

bulldog member '07
Reaction score
He is a very promising player, cant wait to see him in first grade

Status
Not open for further replies.