News Foxx declares Bulldogs rookie Alamoti could be 'one of the best centres in the world' after just 3 NRL games

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Mike Meehall Wood / Editor
Roar

Josh Addo-Carr has played outside some of the best in his time, so when he talks about centres, it’s worth paying attention.

The Foxx has featured with Latrell Mitchell, Justin Olam, Jack Wighton and current teammate Matt Burton as his inside man in recent years, but now gets to work with Bulldogs prodigy Paul Alamoti, who has ripped up the NRL in his first three appearances in first grade.

The success of his new partner has prompted the Foxx to make a bold declaration in support of the 19-year-old.

“He’s definitely got the potential to be one of the best centres in the world,” said Addo-Carr. “Pauly just has to keep improving every day, put his best foot forward and be consistent.

“He’s a wonderful talent and we love having him in the team. I knew Pauly had the potential to be a first grader and he’s got his chance now.

“I feel like I’ve been playing footy with Pauly my whole career. I believe he’s a first grade football player and now for him it’s about playing consistently – that’s what a first grader does, they play their best every week and train their best every day.

“He’s got a bright future in a Bulldogs jersey and I’m glad that he’s on my side.”

The man himself was trying to keep himself on the ground, but appreciated having one of the biggest stars in the NRL outside him to help him along.

Alamoti and Addo-Carr combined for two long-range tries in the Dogs’ 34-30 win over the Wests Tigers on Sunday, with the young centre handing off to the Foxx for one, and then the pair passing between them for a second.

“The first one, I was just looking at the tryline and thinking ‘nah!’ joked Alamoti. “It would have looked pretty silly if I didn’t give it to him, he was literally jogging next to me while I was sprinting!

“It’s the little skills that I do every week that helps, and to show it on the big stage is the most pleasing part of it. It’s good having him outside me. It’s good having him outside me – you just give him the ball and let him run.”

Coach Cameron Ciraldo has shown plenty of faith in the rookie, throwing him in to huge games from day one. According Alamoti, the pair have been in constant contact since Ciro took over at the end of 2022.

“He’s real caring,” said Alamoti. “It’s the first thing that I picked up the first time I interacted with him before the preseason. I spoke to him and told him I had a bit of work in my defence, and he’s guided me the last 16 weeks to where I need to be.

Now he is reaping the rewards, with an appearance at Belmore – where he attended games as childhood Bulldogs fan – topping off a stellar start to 2023.

“It was mad,” said the centre. “I got a taste of the Belmore crowd a couple of weeks ago in a trial game and to come in and play a real NRL game was a mad feeling. The win was just the icing on the cake.

“Growing up I was here a couple of times a long time ago, and to play an NRL game is a privilege. It’s something you can’t describe.

“I’m enjoying it, I’ve always dreamed of this moment my entire life. I’m just doing everything I can do stay in the team.”

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Read, as predicted, has him the most sort after player with several clubs after him and Bulldogs desperate to keep him! ;)

Such predictable tripe.

Reactions: ATT

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox depends on him for good early ball. I’d be saying that too.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Willie talau clone. Would like a bit more aggression from him though
Also, I don’t think he’s as fast as Willie was.
He looked like he was on a treadmill when he intercepted that ball

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be fair Fox tends to exaggerate things he says. Fox started saying he as a First Grade player and that he is ready to be a first grade player. They continued to question him, then he came out with that. But it did accelerate pretty quickly, but that the Fox for ya.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
So am I wrong in feeling Alamoti is a little overrated?
Hapoy to acknowledge if I’m wrong here but imma not feeling it so far

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s been great so far.. I’ve been loving his style. next big thing? Maybe , time will tell. and if that’s the case then bulldogs better lock this one up!!