Foxtel v Foxtel Now

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi All,

It's that time again, when the NRL season winds down, and I think about the value of my Foxtel connection. In reality, I only really have it for the NRL, and then to a lesser extent, the overseas sports over the northern summer (tennis, golf, cricket etc), and sometime I like to chill watching old Seinfeld reruns or music videos on Max.

Anyway, with NBN now being available in my neighbourhood, and me looking to switch over to it soon, and since I have a Smart TV set up for it, I'm thinking of switching over to Foxtel Now (probably cancel Foxtel this month and taking up again when footy season starts).

I have worked out that Fox tel Now with the sports package is $44 per month, about $20 cheaper than I pay now. The packages seem to be about the same, with me being able to connect to 5 devices, and watch 3 at time (like Foxtel does now with Foxtel Go). I would have to give up my 2nd box, but meh, not a big deal.

Anyone have Foxtel Now? Happy with it? Worth saving the $20 a month? Thoughts? Thanks!

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why not take up the 2 week trial offer to see if you like it or not?

https://www.foxtel.com.au/now/index.html

What do I get on my Foxtel Now free trial?
On your free trial you can get access to everything that you would have access to on a paid account. This includes:
Genre picks (valued at $10 per month except for Pop and Drama, which are $15 per month each).

• Pop
  • Drama
  • Lifestyle
  • Documentary
  • Kids
Premium picks (valued at $20 per month for movies, $29 per month for sports.)

• Premium movies and drama
  • Sports
HOW DO I GET MY FOXTEL NOW FREE TRIAL?
It’s easy to get your Foxtel Now free trial, simply follow these instructions:

1. Go to the Foxtel Now website using the link provided above.
  2. Click the ‘Free trial’ button in the top right hand corner.
  3. Select your genre picks and premium picks, then click check out.
  4. Enter your address and payment information.
  5. Download Foxtel Now app to your device.
  6. Start watching!
When should I cancel my Foxtel Now free trial?
You can cancel your free trial anytime within 2 Weeks . Try to remember this though, as if you forget you’ll automatically be billed when your trial is over. But remember, Foxtel Now has no-lock in contract, so even if you forget you can always cancel the following month.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I did see that. As I currently have Foxtel I kind of saw it as doubling up. I'd prefer to us the free trial to save on my first two weeks of a new subscription:grinning:

I might at least see if I can suspend my foxtel over summer.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I hardly watch tv as it is. I remember when tv was good.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I hardly watch tv as it is. I remember when tv was good.
I remember when Foxtel didn’t have so many bloody ads..For f&$ks sake it’s pay tv!!!!!!!!!!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Foxtel now is shit you get fuck all channels

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question. I’d planned to do the same- go from Foxtel to Foxtel Now. Only really watch the sports, and like you, old Seinfeld re-runs. Called up and told them what I wanted so they then offered me three months of just the sports and standard entertainment for $33 I think, with some deal I’m sure they have for this type of phone call. It then bounces up to ~$55 a month and at that stage I’ll go to Foxtel Now and stream it with nbn.
The dude tried to tell me it was a backwards decision because of the new 4K resolution. But I can’t justify paying more to see things with that much detail

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Carry your Foxtel subscription up until you get the NBN, then test it with Foxtel Go (fire up Google Chrome / Safari and head to https://watch.foxtel.com.au). What NBN connection type are you getting? FTTN/FTTH will weigh heavily on your decision.

I use Foxtel GO (now in HD via Chrome browser), and it works awesome. We can watch two channels upstairs and downstairs in 720p (HD), on 100/40 FTTH and it runs awesome. That said I'm in a Fibre to the Home area where technically I can get 250/100 speeds if I want.

But with a 25/5 FTTN connection you might struggle.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have Foxtel Now. It has gotten a lot better. It actually has full HD now and buffers a lot less. But you can guarantee if you're watching a Bulldogs game and they're about to score a try, it's going to start buffering and sometimes it'll just completely crash requiring a reboot before you can continue watching.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I have Foxtel Now. It has gotten a lot better. It actually has full HD now and buffers a lot less. But you can guarantee if you're watching a Bulldogs game and they're about to score a try, it's going to start buffering and sometimes it'll just completely crash requiring a reboot before you can continue watching.
Does Foxtel Now require an app still? Or (like the new Foxtel Go), does it just use Chrome?

Have you tried seeing if you can log into https://watch.foxtel.com.au on Chrome and see if it's reliable?

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If you have Foxtel multiroom they have also, in the last few weeks, added the option to Chromecast Foxtel go to a television.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I remember when Foxtel didn’t have so many bloody ads..For f&$ks sake it’s pay tv!!!!!!!!!!
Irony at its finest. I remember when WWE didn't have commercials during matches.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I cannot get Foxtel IQ where I live due to issues beyond my control, so I have had Foxtel Go for years and then Foxtel Now (when it was released).

Foxtel Go was pure shit. I would never use it over Channel 9 because it was app based and the quality was not HD and it looked terrible.

Then Foxtel Now came along and they finally moved to a web based model. I use a laptop that is permanently connected to my TV via HDMI so that was a big plus for me.

The quality is great, but it looks a lot duller in brightness on my TV than normal TV does. I suspect this is something to do with my laptop though and to be honest I have not really tried to investigate that. I only notice this because if you flick between my laptop and Foxtel Now and Channel 9 you can instantly see the difference. Apart from the brightness, the picture quality is excellent and I never buffer even on my ADSL if I am not smashing data in some other device.

There is also a PS4 app which definitely looks better than my laptop does, I should use that more often but I kind of like being able to use a web browser whilst I watch tv, which I am doing right now :grinning:

Recently they brought out a Foxtel Now box for $99 which would be a good option if you don't want to use a PC based or PS4 based solution. I guess some TV's might have an app for it too but mine does not. I actually think I remember reading that none do, could be wrong?

In summation I definitely think Foxtel Now is worth it. It is cheaper and has no contract, connection fees, etc to worry about. The stream is a little delayed, maybe 20-30 seconds so be aware of that if you like to live tweet because I have had some things spoiled by being a bit too active on twitter. Ever since it went HD I never watch any games on Channel 9 anymore because I absolutely cannot stand their commentators.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Did anyone get the letter from Foxtel thanking you for being a loyal customer by upping your fee? Bunch of ***** lol.