Foxtel $100m Broadcast Deal

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They've got the talent, it's a booming region, it'd be North vs South and the local derbys would instantly become one of the biggest sporting events in NZ overnight.
Could end up doing a second state of Origin but NZ style, North vs South

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Could end up doing a second state of Origin but NZ style, North vs South
I think it's a great idea. It's been talked about for 10 plus years but they haven't seriously entertained it.. It would be a massive event and be huge in New Zealand. I think it would have more passion than Origin does these days.

Get rid of the bullshit All-Stars game, add a mid season North vs South Origin game and see how well it goes to see if you can make it a three game series eventually.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess an expanded comp means we'll have to sacrifice a third home game to promote NRL in other states.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apparently according to their research there was no contest, 2nd team in Brisbane was way ahead on every measure, marketing, viewers, advertisers junior league, funding, existing infrastructure etc. Daylight came second, it was not even close on any of the measures.

Always a Bulldog
Which Brisbane team will now get the mandatory Ch 9 Friday night spot?

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. It's been talked about for 10 plus years but they haven't seriously entertained it.. It would be a massive event and be huge in New Zealand. I think it would have more passion than Origin does these days.

Get rid of the bullshit All-Stars game, add a mid season North vs South Origin game and see how well it goes to see if you can make it a three game series eventually.
Completely agree. The revenue from even 1 of these games let alone 2 would be massive both here and in NZ given the amount of ex pats over here. To be honest it can be done now with existing NRL players i'm sure even as a trial without the need for bringing in a second NZ team - although i think that would be beneficial for the competition and makes more sense than another QLD team. As would a Perth team.10 NSW/Sydney teams, 4 QLD teams and 3 extras (Canberra, Melbourne, NZ) isn't really a "national' rugby league" competition

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Far from an expert on NZ league, but as I understand it the issue for South Island NZ is that there has never been a stand out submission whenever they have been called for. Plus the NZ broadcaster hasn't seemed very league interested, this year was the first time that the NRL Telstra Premiership and NRLW games were broadcast live in New Zealand.

"The ARLC and Sky NZ working closely alongside New Zealand Rugby League to co-invest in initiatives to grow rugby league."

Maybe the Kiwis on TK can fill in the gaps.

Always a Bulldog

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Far from an expert on NZ league, but as I understand it the issue for South Island NZ is that there has never been a stand out submission whenever they have been called for. Plus the NZ broadcaster hasn't seemed very league interested, this year was the first time that the NRL Telstra Premiership and NRLW games were broadcast live in New Zealand.

"The ARLC and Sky NZ working closely alongside New Zealand Rugby League to co-invest in initiatives to grow rugby league."

Maybe the Kiwis on TK can fill in the gaps.

Always a Bulldog
Afaik, the frontrunner is Wellington (Orcas)

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There isn't enough good players to go around. This is madness, madness!
Plenty of players to go around, firstly the NRL just has to find a way to stop some clubs ruthlessly stockpiling players. An obvious example, last year Melbourne had 3 top level hookers, seriously that can’t be allowed to continue. Penrith this year had 4 quality halves, they should have been made to release one.

Adding a new team also give more opportunities for players to develop. There are a lot of players thrown on the scrap heap, that may well be just late bloomers, Jerome Hughes being an obvious example of a lucky one that just stuck around long enough.

Always a Bulldog

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Plenty of players to go around, firstly the NRL just has to find a way to stop some clubs ruthlessly stockpiling players. An obvious example, last year Melbourne had 3 top level hookers, seriously that can’t be allowed to continue. Penrith this year had 4 quality halves, they should have been made to release one.

Adding a new team also give more opportunities for players to develop. There are a lot of players thrown on the scrap heap, that may well be just late bloomers, Jerome Hughes being an obvious example of a lucky one that just stuck around long enough.

Always a Bulldog
Only if we want to keep having a competition in which realistically only 4 teams are in with a shot at taking home the chocolates.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Only if we want to keep having a competition in which realistically only 4 teams are in with a shot at taking home the chocolates.
The answer isn’t less teams, it won’t change the “4 teams problem” as you describe it. The only real answer is spreading the talent around. Plus of course developing and keeping more talent, which is what additional teams promotes.

Always a Bulldog

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People need to get over Central Coast Bears. Never going to happen.

Next 2 markets in line for a team will be Perth and another NZ team.
Another NZ team might help there juniors from coming here and staying there, good job I like it.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The answer isn’t less teams, it won’t change the “4 teams problem” as you describe it. The only real answer is spreading the talent around. Plus of course developing and keeping more talent, which is what additional teams promotes.

Always a Bulldog
The answer is both, more teams and less teams.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree, add another NZ team and get rid of Melbourne, sounds good to me.

Since the merger will plainly never work then separate the Magpies and the Tigers for one season, whoever is lowest on the ladder gets the flick. My money would be on West’s and Campbelltown.

Always a Bulldog

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can they hurry up and also get the grand final and major games as well so I never have to watch Ch9 again!

One can only put up with Rabs stories of Yesteryear for so long.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How about central coast or north Sydney what’s the point of Brisbane when there’s already a team there? Adelaide will bring more people to the game for sure even Perth would level the league up bring more revenue more talent.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How about central coast or north Sydney what’s the point of Brisbane when there’s already a team there? Adelaide will bring more people to the game for sure even Perth would level the league up bring more revenue more talent.
“What’s the point of Brisbane“ for starters it removes the huge one city one team advantage that the Donkeys have had for far too long. There were 3 good proposals from already existing league franchises, that shows the SE Qld area was more than ready for another team.

As for Adelaide, no one from there even bothered to respond to the expression of interest request. How can the NRL award a franchise to an area that doesn’t even bother expressing any interest.

Perth is more a possibility, their problem is a lack of local league players, even union players to convert, they would seriously have to raid the east for a team. Score blow outs galore for a long time, that’s not the making of a successful franchise. Like Melbourne did they need to hit the ground running, otherwise it will be the same as it was last time.

Always a Bulldog

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always believed that another team in Brisbane would be good for the game, but as many have said their are to many teams in Sydney.
With the NRL'S ability or should I say (lack of desire) to level out the playing talent, it will only result in some teams having even more talent and some having less. Watch out for at least 1 Sydney team folding in the not to distant future.
If the new rules have'nt resulted in enough score blow-outs, just stay tuned.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
They have to pay for the expansion and the broadcasters told the NRL that they would pay extra for a 2nd team in SE Qld. That's how the NRL can afford to pay for the expansion. There was absolutely zero interest in Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin or NT with viewing audiences too small to count. Any new teams there would fail as the NRL wouldn't have the funds to support it for the many years it would take to be self sustaining. There was some interest in Perth, but lukewarm at best and the AFL threatened any existing WA based sponsor looking to shift. Personally I have always thought that the Central Coast was a must have, but Newcastle fight it every time it is raised.

The fact is Redcliffe are self sustaining right now and the NRL won't have to contribute ongoing more than they do for any other team. Plus they will have a reasonably competitive team very quickly.

Always a Bulldog
How could the AFL threaten a sponsor looking to get involved with the new team?