Foxtel $100m Broadcast Deal

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Possibly explains why they gave up and barely put up a fight for the A-league rights.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
How is a second Brisbane team expansion? All they're doing is putting another team in a one-team city. That's not expansion.

If they want expansion, they should consider Perth, Adelaide, Central Coast/North Sydney and even Darwin/Hobart/PNG. This is not expansion.

Mal_Z

Waterboy
Reaction score
How is a second Brisbane team expansion? All they're doing is putting another team in a one-team city. That's not expansion.

If they want expansion, they should consider Perth, Adelaide, Central Coast/North Sydney and even Darwin/Hobart/PNG. This is not expansion.
Honestly we don't have the talent to go around. And if we did in those areas, no one club has the money to unearth it. The NRL are making shitons there's no real incentive to go that far out

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

They have to pay for the expansion and the broadcasters told the NRL that they would pay extra for a 2nd team in SE Qld. That's how the NRL can afford to pay for the expansion. There was absolutely zero interest in Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin or NT with viewing audiences too small to count. Any new teams there would fail as the NRL wouldn't have the funds to support it for the many years it would take to be self sustaining. There was some interest in Perth, but lukewarm at best and the AFL threatened any existing WA based sponsor looking to shift. Personally I have always thought that the Central Coast was a must have, but Newcastle fight it every time it is raised.

The fact is Redcliffe are self sustaining right now and the NRL won't have to contribute ongoing more than they do for any other team. Plus they will have a reasonably competitive team very quickly.

Always a Bulldog

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

West Coast Pirates should have been the first ones in imo

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see how this deal benefits Foxtel? There'll still only be 8 games per round as they'll just spread the existing byes out over the season. I'd say most footy supporters in the region of the new expansion club (Brisbane) would already have Foxtel so there's little to no new market? Am I missing something?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
They have to pay for the expansion and the broadcasters told the NRL that they would pay extra for a 2nd team in SE Qld. That's how the NRL can afford to pay for the expansion. There was absolutely zero interest in Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin or NT with viewing audiences too small to count. Any new teams there would fail as the NRL wouldn't have the funds to support it for the many years it would take to be self sustaining. There was some interest in Perth, but lukewarm at best and the AFL threatened any existing WA based sponsor looking to shift. Personally I have always thought that the Central Coast was a must have, but Newcastle fight it every time it is raised.

The fact is Redcliffe are self sustaining right now and the NRL won't have to contribute ongoing more than they do for any other team. Plus they will have a reasonably competitive team very quickly.

Always a Bulldog
I don't know how the Knights have the power to over-rule the NRL with a Central Coast team. The Knights need to understand that Newcastle is a completely DIFFERENT region to the Central Coast, and most of the supporters in the Central Coast do not support them, and their support will most likely stem from Sydney's Northern Beaches/North Shore. Their biggest rivals will be Manly, not the Knights.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They should add two more teams or don't add any at all. A 17 team comp with byes isn't ideal. An extra game per week with 18 teams instead of 17 would have brought in a lot more revenue.

They should add a second Brisbane team and the Central Coast Bears/Perth Pirates..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They should add two more teams or don't add any at all. A 17 team comp with byes isn't ideal. An extra game per week with 18 teams instead of 17 would have brought in a lot more revenue.

They should add a second Brisbane team and the Central Coast Bears/Perth Pirates..
That’s not how the broadcasters see it, twice as many games with SE Qld teams in them is far more attractive than the alternatives. To introduce more teams the NRL needs $millions and the broadcasters offered it for another Brisbane team, they did not offer it for the alternatives. As much as we might not like it the answer is always “money”.

A bonus, anything that diminishes the Donkeys one city advantage is a good thing as far as I’m concerned.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That’s not how the broadcasters see it, twice as many games with SE Qld teams in them is far more attractive than the alternatives. To introduce more teams the NRL needs $millions and the broadcasters offered it for another Brisbane team, they did not offer it for the alternatives. As much as we might not like it the answer is always “money”.

A bonus, anything that diminishes the Donkeys one city advantage is a good thing as far as I’m concerned.

Always a Bulldog
Having a second Brisbane team is certainly a good thing but I can't see how adding a whole new timeslot and market in Perth wouldn't add a lot to the league as well as money for the broadcasters.

Perth has a purpose built stadium as well as a fanbase that supports Rugby League whenever it's played there. They have junior leagues as well. The NRL needs to eventually try and become more national.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm fine with Redcliffe joining as they've earned it and have proven they can mostly look after themselves, unlike the majority of our existing NRL clubs. Brisbane needs another club, simple as that.

For the 18th team, there needs to be more discussion and consideration around adding an additional NZ club. The Warriors will never grow anymore than they have on their own, as they'll always be seen as an Auckland club and not representative of all of NZ.

There needs to be a local rivalry here to spark national interest and to me the Christchurch/Canterbury area is a no brainer.

They've got the talent, it's a booming region, it'd be North vs South and the local derbys would instantly become one of the biggest sporting events in NZ overnight.

Pretty sick of how ignorant the NRL have been of NZ. We're a sleeping giant here and deserve more respect.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
People need to get over Central Coast Bears. Never going to happen.

Next 2 markets in line for a team will be Perth and another NZ team.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see how this deal benefits Foxtel? There'll still only be 8 games per round as they'll just spread the existing byes out over the season. I'd say most footy supporters in the region of the new expansion club (Brisbane) would already have Foxtel so there's little to no new market? Am I missing something?
That was my thoughts too. There might be some more people watching games in Redcliffe/Brisbane, but surely the extra number of viewers would be pretty marginal?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my thoughts too. There might be some more people watching games in Redcliffe/Brisbane, but surely the extra number of viewers would be pretty marginal?
Exactly. Maybe this is just Foxtel spending all the jobseeker it managed to suck off the public teat?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently according to their research there was no contest, 2nd team in Brisbane was way ahead on every measure, marketing, viewers, advertisers junior league, funding, existing infrastructure etc. Daylight came second, it was not even close on any of the measures.

Always a Bulldog