Opinion Fox sports predict we will finish 15th in 2021

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I advise you all to not get too excited for next season. It will serve you far better to expect a small improvement rather than a drastic one.

Who knows, maybe we will make the 8 but I am definitely not setting myself up for that kind of disappointment. I will be happy if I see improvement in our structures and a platform to build on for subsequent years.
Exactly this.

I hope for top 8 without setting any expectations.

I just want to see some structure and when things don’t work. I want to see an effort from the club as a unit to correct those things week on week. For to long now we have played without a game plan.

I think we will be somewhere between 7-12 in 2021 with 2022 looking at definitely top 8 and 2023 the year we might start to be a threat again.

The fans are the ones that need to keep a lid on expectations. Get behind the club and players and don’t call for sackings when we have a few losses. It’s a slow road back but we have started the climb.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly this.

The fans are the ones that need to keep a lid on expectations. Get behind the club and players and don’t call for sackings when we have a few losses. It’s a slow road back but we have started the climb.
Your spot on I've seen more than a few over ambitious predictions, it's a long road ahead and we will improve on last year how much depends on our player's attitudes and how the new guys gel/fit in.

Definitely must give them time we were at a very low point just 8 weeks ago, miracle or quick fixes don't exist.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With this team - fighting it out with 3-4 other teams for the 8th spot:
1. Averillo
2. Okunbor
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. DWZ
6. Wakeham
7. Flanno
8. Thompson
9. JMK
10. Hetherington
11. RFM
12. Jackson
13. Elliot
14. Waddell
15. Renouf
16. Napa
17. Doorey
Thats the best we got - hopefully Burton comes, which could push Wakeham to hooker and JMK out.
If Burton doesn’t come I think we need Averillo at 6 and Meaney at fullback. The backline with the team above doesn’t have much speed. At least with Avo and Meaney in the backline you have a bit more strike.

Even if Avo is our long term fullback a year in the halves won’t hurt him. It will improve his ball playing skills and make him even more dangerous in future.

All a matter of opinion though. I just like teams with speed and we have certainly lacked that the past few years.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know how we'll go through the course of the season. Some teams will have worse years some will improve. Hopefully we are in the latter group. I think our last tackle options alone should be one area where the improvement can begin. If that results in an extra try on average per game we'll be winning quite a lot more.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We haven't bought any superstars for '21, but looking at the specific positional changes, we'll be far more suited to the modern game and WILL improve a lot.

The main changes for '21
* Hetherington for Tolman,
* Flannagan for Lewis (proper organising half also much better goalkicker),
* Cotric for Holland/Montoya/Reimis.
* Mystery player (probably Wakeham or Averillo) for Foran.

We are a mile ahead on those first three and although we've got no-one of Foran's ability, he missed so many games it's no big loss. Every one of those changes give us heaps more speed and mobility, as does Waddell for Sue. Averillo (our player with the most spark) will also play bigger minutes and probably start at fullback or 5/8.

Dummy half is still the main problem but '21 will be a really good building year, and in '22 we can be top 4. Burton is very special IMO.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those clowns don’t have a clue bronchokes were 2-0 before covid and flying this year before shut down
We will improve for sure

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We haven't bought any superstars for '21, but looking at the specific positional changes, we'll be far more suited to the modern game and WILL improve a lot.

The main changes for '21
* Hetherington for Tolman,
* Flannagan for Lewis (proper organising half also much better goalkicker),
* Cotric for Holland/Montoya/Reimis.
* Mystery player (probably Wakeham or Averillo) for Foran.

We are a mile ahead on those first three and although we've got no-one of Foran's ability, he missed so many games it's no big loss. Every one of those changes give us heaps more speed and mobility, as does Waddell for Sue. Averillo (our player with the most spark) will also play bigger minutes and probably start at fullback or 5/8.

Dummy half is still the main problem but '21 will be a really good building year, and in '22 we can be top 4. Burton is very special IMO.
In the games he played Foran was clearly our best player. Set up the majority of our tries so he will be missed.

But for me the big difference this year will be Barrett. We were clueless in attack last year and had to rely on the individual brilliance of Foran to score tries. Our attack will be a lot better under Baz. I am certain of that

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
In the games he played Foran was clearly our best player. Set up the majority of our tries so he will be missed.

But for me the big difference this year will be Barrett. We were clueless in attack last year and had to rely on the individual brilliance of Foran to score tries. Our attack will be a lot better under Baz. I am certain of that
First lesson from Baz:

You all have a part to play in constructing and executing our attack.

Here's how you do it. Do your part. Don't stand there waiting for one player to create. All bodies in motion working for a try.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First lesson from Baz:

You all have a part to play in constructing and executing our attack.

Here's how you do it. Do your part. Don't stand there waiting for one player to create. All bodies in motion working for a try.
One of the big reasons he got rid of Tolman. Great work rate but always stifled our attack by getting in the way

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I advise you all to not get too excited for next season. It will serve you far better to expect a small improvement rather than a drastic one.

Who knows, maybe we will make the 8 but I am definitely not setting myself up for that kind of disappointment. I will be happy if I see improvement in our structures and a platform to build on for subsequent years.
Exactly! We are not winning the comp so the position on the ladder doesn’t mean a lot. In saying that I hope we are winning games but we are still limited with our roster so expecting a top 8 finish is probably asking too much. It’s all about setting the ground work down in terms of structure, attitude and seeing who is part of our future long term. I think we could struggle early with TBaz’s changes and new faces in the line up and we might not play our best footy till mid way through the season. A lot also depends on who takes up the last spots on the roster.

Last edited:

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
2021 year is not about improvement on the back of newly purchased Gun players. It about getting improvement from each existing player & a more effective attack. Each year there are 1-2 teams that make move up the ladder with basically the same team- different attitude, modified game plans, less injuries each. How well will the Dogs go, its going to be difficult to assess. Even with a 10% improvement in attack, will have significant impact on results & also improve our defence. ( which is always having to defend there goal lines )
Interesting how some players will perform in 2021.
Simpson was very effective with Melbourne storm, will we see similar forms in 2021,
Elliott- move from a good player to a game influencer,
Jackson- will we see a rejuvenated performances
Wakeham/Jmk- do they have any upscope under the right coaching.
How much influence some of the new players have on the team.
If Dogs can get out of the game plan of taking the predictable 4-5 settlers in each set of six, kicking & then hoping to defend 6 tackles- then the season will be a success & improvement will
Top 8 most likely not but would not surprise me.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a really good squad going into next season that just lacks two ingredients. Creativity and unpredictability. Without this there will be no top 8 finish. If they can sign a creative spine player or two then it’s definitely a top 8 squad.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's all well and good to be excited for 2020, I definately am, but we have to be realistic with our expectations. Yes we've made some great singings, but we still have one of the worst rosters leading into 2021:

- Our spine consists of a centre playing fullback, lachlan lewis (say no more), a 22 year old with 29 games of NRL and a five eight at hooker.
- Our backline lacks x factor and our forward pack is about average in comparison to the league.
- Our coach is coming off being an assistant coach who hasn't been a head coach in 3 years and that didn't end well.
- The club is coming off one of our worst ever seasons and periods in general (both on the field and off), our attack has been on a rapid decline for 5 years. We were lucky to avoid the spoon and were saved by the worst Broncos team of all time.

It can be hard to see through the optomist but realistically our expectations for the year should be between 10-14. It's gonna take abit of time for Barrett to build the roster he wants and get them playing the way he wants to. And even then, there's still no guarantee of success. We'll probably follow a similar trajectory of the Titans in 2020 when they brought in Holbrook; first few weeks will be adjusting to the new regime and will be more steady by the end of the season and will string together some wins.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Wondering which 4-5 teams you feel have a worse roster than us?
Doesn't always matter. Broncos had a better lineup than most of the bottom 8 in 2020

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We still lack players with a bit of x factor.if we play boring structured footy we are going to struggle.
At least the titans played some attractive footy and with AJ Bronson at fb he was barba circa 2012 like at times.
I hope baz can turn it around I don't want to cop another crap season . I can take a few years of mediocrity but this has gone on too long .We are a big club we deserve more success as fans ..

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Close to top 8 if we get Burton next year...

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this is ludicrous?
The new signings, plus our existing players and new coaching staff + the new fresh set-up with training facilities..
I think our team looks nicely balanced, I'd be shocked if we finished below 9th.
Am I being too ambitious?
With some of the close losses we had this year, put Flanagan in our side for his kicking alone and we probably finish closer to tenth. So, no your not too ambitious and I predict we will be fighting for seventh or eith this year.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I predict Fox will go into receivership by the end of 2021. If they can come up with that crap so can I. I certainly see an improvement coming with all the changes from the board down and lets hope the Dogs finish between 8th and 12th

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arch rivals to clash in historic GF, Sharks to get the spoon: 20 BOLD predictions for 2021 NRL season
NRL PREMIERSHIP

Mark St John

John Morris is under pressure at the Sharks.
John Morris is under pressure at the Sharks.Source: Getty Images
It is a little over three months out from the start of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership race and diehard fans will already be dreaming up different scenarios of how the season pans out.
Eight teams will be looking to break into the top eight, while eight teams will want to stay there and all 16 will have their eyes on the top prize, premiership glory.
Foxsports.com.au brings you 20 bold predictions to whet your appetite for the 2021 NRL season.

1. BULLDOGS TO MAKE THE TOP EIGHT

They may have finished second last in 2020, but it won’t be the same Bulldogs side that runs out for Round 1 next season.
Canterbury have had one of the biggest recruitment drives in the NRL with Nick Cotric, Kyle Flanagan, Corey Wadell and Jack Hetherington all joining the club with a point to prove.
The Bulldogs also have a new coach in Trent Barrett and High Performance Consultant and former All Blacks coach Steve Hansen to help mould the squad into a premiership force again.
Barrett’s impact on the Panthers can’t be underestimated given that he helped the team to a 17-game winning streak and minor premiership in 2020.
MORE NRL NEWS
SORRY TIGERS: Bulldogs offer fresh $2m plus deal for Addo-Carr
TAKING CONTROL: NRL set to crack down on players breaking contracts
UNDER PRESSURE: Five NRL coaches in the firing line in 2021

New Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett.
New Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett.Source: News Corp Australia
2. TITANS TO MISS THE FINALS
They have been one of the most talked about teams in the NRL heading into 2021 after a recruitment drive that has netted David Fifita, Tino Faasuamaleaui and Herman Ese’ese.
However these three players are all forwards and the Titans have still lost Origin star Jai Arrow to the Rabbitohs.
The club are still lacking a real strike centre and Mitch Rein while solid at hooker is not in the calibre of some of the better rakes in the competition.
Ash Taylor and Jamal Fogarty were a handy halves pairing in 2020 and while they are bound to improve under Justin Holbrook, it remains to be seen if they have the class to match it with some of the best in the competition.
Titans halfback Ash Taylor.
Titans halfback Ash Taylor.Source: Getty Images
Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now >
4. BLUES TO WIN ORIGIN 3-0

Before NSW were humiliated 2-1 by the so-called worst side in Origin history this season, this might not have not been such a bold prediction.
However the Maroons have stormed back into relevance after Wayne Bennett inspired them to a first series win since 2017, so a 3-0 Blues whitewash at this stage looks a little far-fetched.
However the Blues will welcome back a number of stars in 2021, including possibly Latrell Mitchell and Tom Trbojevic to fill the troubled centre positions.
That would push Dally M Medallist Jack Wighton to No.6 alongside Nathan Cleary and if Boyd Cordner can return from concussion issues the Blues are looking pretty tough to beat on paper.
Blues halfback Nathan Cleary.
Blues halfback Nathan Cleary.Source: Getty Images
5. LATRELL TO WIN THE DALLY M MEDAL
The Rabbitohs star was one of the success stories of the 2020 season before it was cruelly cut short by a hamstring injury against the Eels.
Mitchell is reportedly already back doing light training with South Sydney in a bid to get himself fit and firing for Round 1.
Before his injury Mitchell had blossomed from a world class centre into an exciting fullback with a different style aimed at creating opportunities for his teammates with his silky passing game.
Mitchell has the athletic ability to score plenty of tries and set them up for his team and Souths should win plenty of games next season, which won’t hurt his cause in the hunt for Dally M Medal points.
Rabbitohs fullback Latrell Mitchell.
Rabbitohs fullback Latrell Mitchell.Source: News Corp Australia
6. RABBITOHS VS ROOSTERS GRAND FINAL
The foundation rivals have never faced off in an NRL Grand Final, but 2021 looks as good a shot as any for making it happen.
The Roosters will be smarting from their straight sets finals exit in 2020, despite being back-to-back defending premiers and Trent Robinson will have them primed for a revenge mission next year.
The Rabbitohs have made three successive preliminary finals and in his last year as coach Wayne Bennett will be hellbent on pushing for what could be the last premiership of his illustrious career.
On paper the Rabbitohs and the Roosters have two of the best squads in the NRL and if they can stay fit then Bennett and Robinson will know how to get them to the last game of the season, if the draw and the stars align in the finals.
The Roosters will be motivated for revenge in 2021.
The Roosters will be motivated for revenge in 2021.Source: Getty Images
7. PANTHERS TO MISS THE TOP FOUR
The reigning defending premiers will be hoping to go one better next season, but consistency from one year to the next is usually reserved for clubs like the Roosters and the Storm.
The Panthers have lost two of their best in 2020, with skipper James Tamou joining the Tigers and Josh Mansour told to look elsewhere or risk playing reserve grade.
Jack Hetherington has also joined the Bulldogs with Matt Burton to follow him in 2021 to link with Trent Barrett.
Backing up from a Grand Final season is never easy, especially when you have won 17 games in a row and the Panthers will be hunted by every team next season, which will make it difficult for them to again make the top four.
Nathan Cleary and Ivan Cleary.
Nathan Cleary and Ivan Cleary.Source: Getty Images
8. SEA EAGLES TO MAKE THE TOP FOUR
After finishing one game off the preliminary final in 2019, the Sea Eagles had a disappointing 2020 to finish 13th.
However Des Hasler coached Manly sides almost always make the finals and he will have them ready to bounce back next season.
The Sea Eagles will be boosted by the return of Tom Trbojevic after a wretched run with injury and will be hopeful star hooker Manase Fainu can play a part next season.
Kieran Foran has been reunited with Daly Cherry-Evans and the pair played in two grand finals together and won a title in 2011 and Dylan Walker will also relish a return to the centres where he has played his best footy in first grade.
Tom Trbojevic will be back on deck next season.
Tom Trbojevic will be back on deck next season.Source: Getty Images
9. BRONCOS TO FINISH NINTH
It would be a mighty effort for the Broncos to rise from a historic first ever wooden spoon to finals footy, but we have them just missing out in ninth spot.
New coach Kevin Walters hasn’t got enough credit over what he did with the Queensland Origin side and while he doesn’t have quite as a good a team at the Broncos he has plenty to work with.
The departures of Joe Ofahengaue, Jack Bird and Matt Lodge should give the Broncos plenty of room to move to improve the balance of their squad when the right players become available.
In the meantime Walters has one of the best young packs in the competition and if he can get his side’s defence right and his spine led by Anthony Milford and Andrew McCullough clicking again then a mid-table finish is a real possibility.
Broncos coach Kevin Walters with Tom Dearden.
Broncos coach Kevin Walters with Tom Dearden.Source: Getty Images
10. SHARKS TO GET THE SPOON
There is turmoil at the Sharks stemming from player unrest after coach Josh Morris had some brutal conversations with some popular players.
Morris reportedly told Matt Moylan to look elsewhere and Andrew Fifita to consider medical retirement, which did not go down well with their teammates.
History tells us when there is dissension in the ranks off the field it rarely translates into on-field success and they are also without their star playmaker Shaun Johnson for an extended period.
The Sharks are entering their fifth year since a maiden premiership title in 2016 and unless you are the Storm or Roosters that usually means it is time for a rebuild.
Are the Sharks in for a tough year?
Are the Sharks in for a tough year?Source: Getty Images
11. V’LANDYS TO STEP DOWN
ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys has done an amazing job to help the game through undoubtedly its toughest period ever and has effectively ensured its survival.
However with hopes high that the coronavirus pandemic is coming to an end next season the game can hopefully return to normal sooner rather than later.
V’landys, who also holds a position at Racing NSW has been on record as saying he owes rugby league a debt and when that is paid and the game is in good shape he will happily walk away.
With new NRL CEO Andrew Abdo going from strength to strength it is not hard to see V’landys handing the future of the game to him as early as next season.
Peter V’landys at the Dally M Medal night.
Peter V’landys at the Dally M Medal night.Source: Getty Images
12. HARRY GRANT TO BEAT COOK TO KANGAROOS NO.9
Blues rake Damien Cook has been the Kangaroos hooker for the last two years before the pandemic cancelled the international calendar in 2020, but he could be usurped by a Queensland rival in 2021.
The 29-year-old has been a mainstay of representative sides over the last three seasons, playing nine Origins for NSW and four Tests for the Kangaroos over that time.
However he was outplayed in two of the three Origin games in 2020, first by Jake Friend in the series opener and then by Harry Grant in the decider.
Grant looks set for a full season at the Storm if Cameron Smith retires and if he can keep Brandon Smith out of the starting side then he has a real chance to push his claims to partner Cameron Munster in the Australian spine.
Harry Grant scores for the Maroons.
Harry Grant scores for the Maroons.Source: Getty Images
13. BEN HUNT TO REDISCOVER HIS BEST FORM
The former Broncos Grand Final halfback has struggled to recapture his form from his Brisbane days in his first three seasons at the Dragons.
Hunt has been playing a style that has not suited his game as a halfback and been chopped and changed between hooker, five-eighth and No.7.
However new coach Anthony Griffin is renowned for instilling strong defensive structures, which should give Hunt plenty of front-foot ball to return to his strengths.
Griffin has coached Hunt at the Broncos and whether he plays hooker or halfback if anyone can get the best out of Hunt then Hook can.
Dragons halfback Ben Hunt.
Dragons halfback Ben Hunt.Source: Getty Images
14. SBW TO JOIN ROOSTERS COACHING STAFF
His playing days in the NRL look to be over as he plots a career in boxing, but Sonny Bill Williams is unlikely to be lost to the game.
Williams joined the Roosters late in the season for one last shot at premiership glory and fell two games short of another grand final.
However since his deal with Toronto has fallen through, Williams is expected to settle in Sydney and train for a series of boxing bouts next year.
His close ties with the Roosters and Nick Politis is sure to lead to the possibility of a coaching position at the club, given the strong influence he had on the side’s training when he was a player in two stints at the club.
Sonny Bill Williams and Jake Friend.
Sonny Bill Williams and Jake Friend.Source: Getty Images
15. EELS TO RELEASE FERGUSON MID-SEASON
After a sub par season in the blue and gold the Eels decided to part ways with Blake Ferguson effective at the end of the 2021 season.
Ferguson fell out of favour at the club after a poor season in 2020 that saw him struggle to score tries and he was not at his metre-eating best.
Time will tell if there is more to the Eels’ decision, but the relationship between club and player rarely improves when the player feels unwanted.
If the Eels struggle in the early part of the season and Ferguson doesn’t improve then the club may look to offload him to free up cap space and move in another direction sooner rather than later.
Blake Ferguson is on the outer at the Eels.
Blake Ferguson is on the outer at the Eels.Source: Getty Images
16. JOHN MORRIS TO BE THE FIRST COACH SACKED
If the Sharks are to get the wooden spoon next season then it would make sense than John Morris is the first coach to be sacked.
It would be a harsh call given that Morris has taken the Sharks to the finals in each of his only two seasons in charge to date.
However reports of player unrest and rumours that Shane Flanagan has been linked to a return to the club in 2022 won’t go away.
Morris was denied a contract extension and if the Sharks struggle early then it is hard to see him seeing out the season if there is no hope of extending his contract beyond 2021.
John Morris is under pressure at the Sharks.
John Morris is under pressure at the Sharks.Source: Getty Images
17. BELLAMY TO JOIN THE BRONCOS
Given the Storm coach is already weighing up offers from the Broncos and the Storm about his future beyond 2021, this prediction might not be too bold.
However it is still very hard to see Bellamy leaving the only club he has ever coached in the NRL to join one of their fiercest rivals.
The 61-year-old is keen to move home to Queensland to be closer to his family and has said that 2021 is likely his last year coaching first grade.
However the Storm are keen to offer Bellamy the same coaching director role that he would get at the Broncos, so if Brisbane’s offer blows theirs out of the water then the super coach could be headed to Red Hill.
Storm coach Craig Bellamy is entering the final year of his deal.
Storm coach Craig Bellamy is entering the final year of his deal.Source: Getty Images
18. DAVID FIFITA TO NOT LIVE UP TO HIS HEFTY PAY PACKET
There is no doubting David Fifita’s talent as a back-rower, but given the sheer size of his contract it is hard to see the Titans getting value for money.
Historically players that have signed deals of over $1 million a season have struggled to justify the price tag, which creates all sorts of issues for the balance of a roster.
Of the 10 players earning over $1 million last season only James Tedesco and Nathan Cleary were consistent performers, while players like Anthony Milford, Ben Hunt, Kieran Foran, Michael Morgan and Ash Taylor have failed to deliver under the weight of their contracts.
The fact that Fifita plays a position that doesn’t see him handle the ball regularly will make it difficult for him to justify being one of the highest paid players in the game.
David Fifita has a big task on his hand to justify his price tag.
David Fifita has a big task on his hand to justify his price tag.Source: News Corp Australia
19. STORM TO MISS THE TOP FOUR
A strong club like Melbourne won't be sliding too far down the ladder after a premiership, but the predicted loss of Cameron Smith has got to sting.
Smith is expected to retire or move to the Titans for one more season and while the Storm have ready-made replacements in Harry Grant and Brandon Smith, they are not Cameron.
Craig Bellamy is on record as saying Smith is the best coach Melbourne have because he does his coaching from a player’s perspective on the field.
Smith will be the last member of the big four to leave the club after Greg Inglis, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater and no matter how good they are, playing without all four will take time to adjust to.
Storm five-eighth Cameron Munster.
Storm five-eighth Cameron Munster.Source: Getty Images
20. REUBEN GARRICK TO BE THE TOP POINT-SCORER
If the Sea Eagles are to make the top four in 2021 as predicted then Reuben Garrick should get plenty of opportunities to kick some goals.
The Manly winger scored 16 tries and 194 points in his first season of first grade in 2019, but like his team had a let-down of a year in 2020 to finish with just four tries and 98 points.
However with Tom Trbojevic back from injury setting Garrick up for tries and Kieran Foran conducting play in the halves with Daly Cherry-Evans there is no limit to this side’s attack.
Provided they can fill the dummyhalf role then Dylan Walker and Moses Suli should form a devastating centre pairing that is sure to set up heaps of tries for Garrick to score and convert.
Reuben Garrick kicks a goal for Manly.

NRL 2021: 20 bold predictions, Rabbitohs vs Roosters Grand Final, Sharks wooden spoon, Latrell Mitchell, NSW Blues | Fox Sports