News Four NRL players including son of Super League legend offered to clubs

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Super League clubs have received notice of four more NRL players who are open to offers ahead of 2023, including Taane Milne. Rugby League Live understands the quartet, who are all thought to be represented by senior NRL player agent Tyran Smith, were made available to clubs earlier this month.

Fiji international Milne is the standout name on the list, with the 27-year-old off-contract at the end of the year. Milne, who has scored five tries in 10 NRL appearances for South Sydney Rabbitohs this season, has made a total of 41 NRL appearances since his debut in 2016.

Milne struggled for regular NRL action early in his career but since joining South Sydney in 2021 has impressed, averaging more than a try per game. He had previously played for St George Illawarra Dragons and New Zealand Warriors.

The other three players are Jackson Topine, Dean Hawkins and Kayal Iro. Canterbury Bulldogs back-rower Topine made his breakthrough last year, debuting as a teenager and making eight appearances during 2021. Now 20, he has been an unused interchange twice this season. He starred for the club's NSW Cup team last week, scoring and making over 200 metres in their 42-0 win over the Magpies.

Dean Hawkins has previously been offered to Super League clubs and the same applies this year. The Rabbitohs halfback, 23, made three NRL appearances and it's unclear whether he would be able to obtain a visa given his lack of first-grade experience. He has played 10 games for the Bunnies reserve grade side this year and has notched an impressive 17 assists.

Finally, the name Iro will ring bells with many Super League fans, and there is indeed a family connection. Cronulla outside back Kayal is the son of former Wigan Warriors, Leeds Rhinos and St Helens ace Kevin Iro, who was a star of the British game during the nineties.

Primarily a centre, Iro can play anywhere in the outside backs and has already represented Cook Islands despite being 20 years of age. He has yet to make his NRL debut but has been a star performer for Newton Jets in the New South Wales Cup this year, scoring six tries in ten appearances. The Jets are currently second in the competition.

Out of the UK paper

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn’t blame him. Another victim of Bulldogs’ poor player development and management.
Covid didn’t help a lot of juniors obviously, but selecting some others that were repeated under-performers over him is mind boggling

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
While I don't think Topine would ever be a player that would come back to haunt us in terms of being a star or rep player, I still don't understand why he hasn't had more opportunities in FG with us. I'd rather see him get more games in FG before a decision is made on his future.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
As will I.. but seems we go from thinking we landed a BIG fish, to maybe letting go of great young talent. Fucked up business this nrl is lol.
Yeah man it pisses me off, a gun junior who loves the club... How can we have faith we will get juniors right in future when we can't even give Topine proper coaching and development

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah man it pisses me off, a gun junior who loves the club... How can we have faith we will get juniors right in future when we can't even give Topine proper coaching and development
100% it’s hard going.. said it too many times feels like. Can only get better !!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
don't you dare lose Topine, perfect bench player/17.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what shits me with this fekked up club.

Without warning, without reason, the club just shits on a player who most fans think deserves a chance in first grade, after he showed promise a couple of years ago.

At the very least the club should play him in firsts just so the fans can see where he is at and if it fails, then at least most fans won't be disappointed if he is moved on.

But not giving any reason is like shitting on the fans.

Im sick of the BS this club seems to do behind closed doors

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did Topine piss the club off?
He seemed like a solid developing talent.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t get why he hasn’t gotten a run this year. He’s still only young. Don’t ship him off to England. Give him another 2 year deal on minimum wage. He’s a local junior who loves the club.