Forget The Miracle - Get Ready To Be Ripped Off Again

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
When I played you knew what each ref called. You’d get a bad run but there were ways to reverse it. Calm the hot heads on your team who like to give it to the ref. Get ‘‘em ti keep quiet for a bit. Let the other team irritate the ref for a while. And the best one is just do the basics right. It’s going to be hard with our poor forward rotation at the moment. Sometimes it’s just how it goes. Really it’s about making hay while the sun is shining and put points on the board when you get in good attacking position and the ref is giving you six against/penalties. Bit like that first penalty we got in the game. We should have taken the 2 points to go ahead. It would have just been a mind fuck to parra and give the boys a little pump up that they are ahead.

now this is where reed is still learning how to do this role. I’m sure Gus has had a word about that this week to him. Gus was a captain of a team at a similar age. So I’m sure he has plenty to teach him.
Can u fck off with sensible posts? I'm in a mood tonight and I don;t need rational thinking :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Cutting down the errors will go a long way to taking the reffs out of the equation for us, That said if we get another bogus sin bin the sharts will slaughter us late in the game after we have gassed. TPJ is a real worry on this front.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
When Andrew Voss calls the ref out whilst commentating the game saying that Bulldogs supporters can feel hard done by with no 50/50 calls going our way then IMO there is some merit in what I'm saying.

If you disagree, that's fine because I respect your opinion but I urge you to go and watch the last 2 games in detail play for play again.
We have definitely had no luck with injuries or 50/50 calls but let’s hope we get them in the 2nd half of the year during our run home.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I know that complaining does sweet fuck all right now. But I still get the shits that we cop it badly. But for what it's worth, I also get the shits when I switch other games on and see that the refs favor one side or the other in games I generally don't care about. I don't have a second favourite team. So I'll get the shits on behalf of whichever team is copping the sharp end of the pineapple. And I can generally pick within about 6 minutes if a team is copping it. I'll switch off and later in the week read about the controversial decisions that cost one team the match.

I can't help but think it's down to creating favourable results for the gambling partner. In the end rules shouldn't have grey area. I'd be happier to see every suspected obstruction try disallowed even if an obstruction was obviously milked. As long as it was disallowed every time. This bullshit where it's down to referees to decide is where it makes me suspicious, because they're far from consistent and typically completely biased towards one side. It'd still piss me off seeing them milking penalties. But if it was consistent at least it'd rule out suspicion.

So I don't give a shit if people think I'm paranoid about it. It's an opinion I can't drop. I do look forward to a day when we've got a team that can overcome the refereeing bukshit calls and still win. But I think we'd have had much better results the last few years if regs were calling it down the middle.
Maybe we can have 2 x This Week Bulldogs V Opposition threads.

1. One thread for the fans who don't want to see criticism of the refs and their impacts on results.
2. One for the fans who do gets the shits when penalties/6 agains/sin bins are lop sided and who believe that refs/gambling sponsors have a worrying influence on who wins football games.

Then each cohort can avoid the thread they think is unrealistic and leave the others to vent their views in peace :grinning:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I see red every game when a 50/50 doesn't go our way, and when we have been losing for so long it only builds up and feels worse. When you throw in the current injury toll, feels like we can't catch a damn break. The inconsistency in reffing across the entire NRL game by game and week by week is concern for the game a whole.

Now I dont disagree that we havent had many things go our way for a long time and its been particularly frustrating this season so far (only rd 7)...but Ciro and the playing group clearly aren't playing victims and neither should we as fans. It's only a matter of time before we turn shit around...might not be this week or even until the backend of the season but the right attitude and application has clearly improved across the playing group.
The scores over the last two weeks don't reflect the effort and improvement across the squad. We have had moments to overcome the adversity in all of our games or at least prevent having to face the adversity in the first place, poor decision making and execution has cruelled us...but we are a young and new team.

I say forget who's reffing this week, last week's ref was a Muppet and there will be another Muppet in charge the week after this. I'll no doubt be seeing red again this weekend but I'll still fire up and back the boys, theres always fight in the dog, we shouldn't be scared of any team let alone a fool with a whistle.
Don’t we as fans do three things almost by virtue of what we’re accustomed to…
1) expect most tries to undergo a video ref review where the on field decision is of course “no try”.
2) expect any 50/50 to go the way of our opposition.
3) refs and video refs use “discretion” of rules against us and sometimes even make sh!t up along the way.

We literally expect the above 3 things, stock standard.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don’t we as fans do three things almost by virtue of what we’re accustomed to…
1) expect most tries to undergo a video ref review where the on field decision is of course “no try”.
2) expect any 50/50 to go the way of our opposition.
3) refs and video refs use “discretion” of rules against us and sometimes even make sh!t up along the way.

We literally expect the above 3 things, stock standard.
Exactly. Watch any game pre-2004. We actually get penalties for opposition discretions and the game actually flows. You see incidents and think wow that wasn't pulled up and play on for both teams. It was a true contest. The game was much better to watch and not tainted like it is now.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that complaining does sweet fuck all right now. But I still get the shits that we cop it badly. But for what it's worth, I also get the shits when I switch other games on and see that the refs favor one side or the other in games I generally don't care about. I don't have a second favourite team. So I'll get the shits on behalf of whichever team is copping the sharp end of the pineapple. And I can generally pick within about 6 minutes if a team is copping it. I'll switch off and later in the week read about the controversial decisions that cost one team the match.

I can't help but think it's down to creating favourable results for the gambling partner. In the end rules shouldn't have grey area. I'd be happier to see every suspected obstruction try disallowed even if an obstruction was obviously milked. As long as it was disallowed every time. This bullshit where it's down to referees to decide is where it makes me suspicious, because they're far from consistent and typically completely biased towards one side. It'd still piss me off seeing them milking penalties. But if it was consistent at least it'd rule out suspicion.

So I don't give a shit if people think I'm paranoid about it. It's an opinion I can't drop. I do look forward to a day when we've got a team that can overcome the refereeing bukshit calls and still win. But I think we'd have had much better results the last few years if regs were calling it down the middle.
Well said. I've been noticing the bias a lot lately watching other games as well. I was listening to Chris Sutton giving it to one side only last weekend (forget the game) and thought I really hope we don't get him anytime soon, seeing we seem to get his dickhead brother every couple of weeks.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. One thread for the fans who don't want to see criticism of the refs and their impacts on results.
2. One for the fans who do gets the shits when penalties/6 agains/sin bins are lop sided and who believe that refs/gambling sponsors have a worrying influence on who wins football games.

Then each cohort can avoid the thread they think is unrealistic and leave the others to vent their views in peace :grinning:
The big question here is which thread Nasheed will be loitering in.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We are the most penalised team in the comp with 55 penalties conceded. The closest to us has conceded 49. Combined penalty counts are 55 against and 34 received after 7 rounds.

On average each team has had 2.5 players sin binned so far this season, we’ve had 4 players binned in 7 games (1.5 above the NRL average), and we’ve only seen 1 player sin binned against us in 7 games.

Obviously plenty of penalties are warranted, we are our own worst enemies sometimes, but looking at this objectively, we’ve definitely had the rough end of the stick on multiple occasions. It’s pretty obvious some teams get better treatment than others, we aren’t alone in that, but at present, we are the worst affected by it.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
By now everyone on this forum would be well aware of my extreme dislike and distrust of the Sutton Brothers. As an ex junior league referee I should not be distrusting of any referee, but when I see them run onto the field for our games, I fear the worst.

Our record under both of them is diabolical.

I’ll just remind all that the last time we played the Sharks at Homebush, Chris Sutton was the ref, and we received ZERO, repeat zero penalties from him in the entire game.

In modern football it is almost impossible to be always back ten metres, always square at marker, and not getting caught for lying on the tackled player. Yet he found no fault with the Sharks on that day.

I am 100% convinced that since Good Friday 2015 when the controversy broke out with Gerard Sutton that both brothers have tried their very best to make it as hard as possible for us to win games under their stewardship.

These two are the biggest impediment to us winning the Premiership in the immediate future, and it is long overdue the club calls for a sit down meeting with the referees boss and the two of them, to get to the bottom of it.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By now everyone on this forum would be well aware of my extreme dislike and distrust of the Sutton Brothers. As an ex junior league referee I should not be distrusting of any referee, but when I see them run onto the field for our games, I fear the worst.

Our record under both of them is diabolical.

I’ll just remind all that the last time we played the Sharks at Homebush, Chris Sutton was the ref, and we received ZERO, repeat zero penalties from him in the entire game.

In modern football it is almost impossible to be always back ten metres, always square at marker, and not getting caught for lying on the tackled player. Yet he found no fault with the Sharks on that day.

I am 100% convinced that since Good Friday 2015 when the controversy broke out with Gerard Sutton that both brothers have tried their very best to make it as hard as possible for us to win games under their stewardship.

These two are the biggest impediment to us winning the Premiership in the immediate future, and it is long overdue the club calls for a sit down meeting with the referees boss and the two of them, to get to the bottom of it.
Wow not one penalty against sharks…that is outrageous…we also got NRL giving it to Gus trying to subdue his voice…this should be done by John Koury lodge a formal grievance?.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Then each cohort can avoid the thread they think is unrealistic and leave the others to vent their views in peace
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGT. As if that will stop us posting in both threads. :grinning:

Bulldogdoove

Waterboy
Reaction score
I see red every game when a 50/50 doesn't go our way, and when we have been losing for so long it only builds up and feels worse. When you throw in the current injury toll, feels like we can't catch a damn break. The inconsistency in reffing across the entire NRL game by game and week by week is concern for the game a whole.

Now I dont disagree that we havent had many things go our way for a long time and its been particularly frustrating this season so far (only rd 7)...but Ciro and the playing group clearly aren't playing victims and neither should we as fans. It's only a matter of time before we turn shit around...might not be this week or even until the backend of the season but the right attitude and application has clearly improved across the playing group.
The scores over the last two weeks don't reflect the effort and improvement across the squad. We have had moments to overcome the adversity in all of our games or at least prevent having to face the adversity in the first place, poor decision making and execution has cruelled us...but we are a young and new team.

I say forget who's reffing this week, last week's ref was a Muppet and there will be another Muppet in charge the week after this. I'll no doubt be seeing red again this weekend but I'll still fire up and back the boys, theres always fight in the dog, we shouldn't be scared of any team let alone a fool with a whistle.
Agree. It is also worth noting also how we have been in games for so long and short lapses/ patches have absolutely killed us;

vs Eels - 21st to 28th min x 3 tries
Vs Rabbits - 31st to 38 min x 3 tries / 63 to 68 min x 3 tries

so 9 tries - 54 pts (assumed they were converted) in 19 mins of play out of 160 mins total.

Need some maturity in the side to stop these patches during the game and turn momentum. Ref will have almost fuck all say in the result then.