Foran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
No it doesn't. What it tells you is that having stars in your team is no guarantee of success. What you have to have is complimentary skills that maximises the value of each. It's why the Storm are so good. Smith/Cronk/Slater all compliment each other. It's also why teams like the tigers and panthers won't win a comp. They have individually brilliant players but they don't maximise the strengths of each other. At some point they will work out that Clearly and Moylan can't play in the same team and them win the comp. they work against each other.
As the late, great, Rex Mossop said - "A champion team will beat a team of champions every time".

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At two thirds of the price, based on potential and without any injury or personal baggage I'd rather sign Watson.

If he weren't at the Roosters where they have so much depth, he'd have been playing regularly from last season.

He can play four or five positions and has been very good almost every opportunity he's received.

What has Foran done this season to justify his pricetag and reputation? And it's not solely because of the Warriors.

Simon Mannering stands out amidst that rabble year after year so it is possible to play well on a losing team.
We need a proven playmaker, not some unproven rookie who isn't known for having a great passing or kicking game. Foran may not be having a standout year but hes proven his worth just about every year since he debuted without question

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it doesn't. What it tells you is that having stars in your team is no guarantee of success. What you have to have is complimentary skills that maximises the value of each. It's why the Storm are so good. Smith/Cronk/Slater all compliment each other. It's also why teams like the tigers and panthers won't win a comp. They have individually brilliant players but they don't maximise the strengths of each other. At some point they will work out that Clearly and Moylan can't play in the same team and them win the comp. they work against each other.
Good point. Theres something about the warriors culture as well as to why they constantly underperform. All im saying is i don't think foran has lost what has made him one of the best halves around. What made him great was his ability to play direct and go right to the line and wear a hit. I can't remember a time when our halves went to the line and put our second rower into a gap. Can't be a coincidence tony williams played his best footy playing off foran

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole team was good which is why they won the comp. same with Hasler he had a good team. Individually they are very over rated. Recent results show that. Hasler won fuck all and Foran winning fuck all.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We should be able to try before we buy or discard him if he doesn't live up to expectation.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Good point. Theres something about the warriors culture as well as to why they constantly underperform. All im saying is i don't think foran has lost what has made him one of the best halves around. What made him great was his ability to play direct and go right to the line and wear a hit. I can't remember a time when our halves went to the line and put our second rower into a gap. Can't be a coincidence tony williams played his best footy playing off foran
I agree with you. I think Foran, once he has the off season to get his health back to 100% and in a team that has a bit of toughness about it he will do pretty well.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Foran is better than any half we have now at the club so big step in the right direction.
Plus he's hard as nails on the field, something we need.

chriso

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Everyone on her been blowing loads over Foran for 18 mths now. Now he's here yas worried his a dud...
Always said I didn't want him here, he's unstable and it shows on the field. One of the most hot/cold players in the comp.
Was never a good fit for our club.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Foran is better than any half we have now at the club so big step in the right direction.
Plus he's hard as nails on the field, something we need.
I think this is all it comes down to. He may implode, he may be inconsistent, but he's still better than anything we have.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Stephen Kearney is a dud. There are few coaches in the comp I wouldn't happily trade Hasler for in a heartbeat. Kearney is one of them.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The half the Tigers got at 200k seems a lot smarter buy, and we could have kept Reynolds maybe.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The half the Tigers got at 200k seems a lot smarter buy, and we could have kept Reynolds maybe.
Which one was that? Not Brooks - he's on double that. Not Lolohea - he would be on more than $300k.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which one was that? Not Brooks - he's on double that. Not Lolohea - he would be on more than $300k.
Lollohea, and surely he's not on more than 250k.

Still 500k better than paying that dud Mybe or wasting money on Woods!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lollohea, and surely he's not on more than 250k.

Still 500k better than paying that dud Mybe or wasting money on Woods!
Lolohea is/was the next big thing in NZ. I think he would be on a decent earn over here. Don't give up on Mbye yet, he's only 23 and still finding his way. I think he is a much better footballer than either of the tigers halves. He just has to be in a settled lineup in the right spot.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lolohea would be on decent coin. They hired him to be their long term fullback.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lolohea is/was the next big thing in NZ. I think he would be on a decent earn over here. Don't give up on Mbye yet, he's only 23 and still finding his way. I think he is a much better footballer than either of the tigers halves. He just has to be in a settled lineup in the right spot.
250-300k is decent coin, doubt he'd be on more than that. I still don't get why on earth we were going after Woods when this bloke could have replaced our halfback and we'd save money in the process.

Mybe is okay, but he's never going to be 800k a season "okay". Overpriced waste of money. If he signed for 300-400, sure, I could cop that.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
250-300k is decent coin, doubt he'd be on more than that. I still don't get why on earth we were going after Woods when this bloke could have replaced our halfback and we'd save money in the process.

Mybe is okay, but he's never going to be 800k a season "okay". Overpriced waste of money. If he signed for 300-400, sure, I could cop that.
I can't help but think that Eastwood and Graham won't be there next year. One or both of them have the medical retirement look to them and that just leaves Klemm and Woods as our props. Oh and Tolman of course. That's a pretty good combination and if Mbye ends up at 9 (or even Brown), then we have a pretty good front row. With Jackson/RFM/Elliott/Martin/Fualolo hanging around the backrow and Tualau and a couple of others on the bench it looks a bit more mobile and hopefully has a few more offloads in it. Don't forget Mbye is only getting half what Hunt is getting next year so it's all relative.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't help but think that Eastwood and Graham won't be there next year. One or both of them have the medical retirement look to them and that just leaves Klemm and Woods as our props. Oh and Tolman of course. That's a pretty good combination and if Mbye ends up at 9 (or even Brown), then we have a pretty good front row. With Jackson/RFM/Elliott/Martin/Fualolo hanging around the backrow and Tualau and a couple of others on the bench it looks a bit more mobile and hopefully has a few more offloads in it. Don't forget Mbye is only getting half what Hunt is getting next year so it's all relative.
Even if those retire, surely it's time to bring some juniors through and stop paying 500k for every prop. We have way too many props. The game has gone past using heavy packs. I saw getting a prop as the biggest waste of money. We need points, not blokes who get metres. We are getting in position enough to score points but we have overpaid for a fullback who is hopeless and went overboard with Mybe. Even if Mybe becomes decent, is he Cam Smith level? That's basically what he's being paid! Hunt's signing is terrible and one the Dragons will feel for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.