News Foran won’t back down from rep arena as he eyes dogs return.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kieran Foran is only weeks away from what many hope is the end of a luckless run of injuries but the latest setback hasn't wavered his stance on playing representative footy in the future.

While Foran's main priority was made clear on Thursday morning – the goal of returning to the game, playing injury-free, and to "give back to Canterbury" – any thoughts of giving up the Kiwis jersey as a sacrifice was not something he would consider.

The 29-year-old five-eighth suffered his latest shoulder injury while playing for the Kiwis in November with the Bulldogs receiving a $350,000 compensation payout from the NRL to help ease the playmaker's absence.

"I'm completely committed to Test footy," Foran said.

"Being a New Zealander, the hunger never dies away of wanting to represent the Kiwis.

"That's the top of our game and it was just an unfortunate injury I copped in that Test match.

"My love for the New Zealand jumper and my desire to represent the Kiwis hasn't died one bit. But my complete focus at the moment is to perform week-in-week-out for Canterbury."

When asked what was still driving Foran, who will notch his 200th NRL appearance when he does take the field again this season, he said the willingness to give back to the Belmore club, rather than money or the desire to earn a new deal were driving factors.

Foran's contract expires at the end of this season, while coach Dean Pay has left the door open for former Bulldogs fan favourite, Wests Tigers playmaker Josh Reynolds to return.

"I've got a lot of lost time to make up for," Foran said.

"It's been a difficult couple of years here. I've had a wretched run and the frustrating thing from my side is since I've arrived at Canterbury I've never looked after myself better, physically and mentally.

"You'd think if you were doing that you would be less of a chance with injury but unfortunately in my case the better I looked after myself the more I got injuries.

"Personally, I would say I'm in the best physical shape I've been in for three or four years, just with the sheer amount of work I've had to do in the short time and how hard I've had to go to get myself right.

"My motivation is to be at my absolute best for the club and be able to play every single week."

Foran needs to get through the next fortnight of contact training in a bid to convince the club's performance staff he's fit enough to make a return in round three, beginning on May 28.

"If all things go to plan and I get through all contact that is required I'll be ready for selection," Foran said.

"As it stands today I haven't missed a contact session. The shoulder is feeling great, obviously it's a slow process the first few months with rehab work inside the gym.

"The last couple of months I've really ramped things up and lifting a lot heavier weights in the gym and feeling really confident.

"When we first did it, I sat down with the performance guys here and in my mind I wanted to aim for round 12, that was my goal, we weren't sure if that was a bit ambitious at the time, but that was what I wanted to set out for.

"If all things go to plan, I'll have hit that goal."

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Rep footy should be the last thing on his mind. Foz needs to adjust his game like Baa did and many others have done successfully in their latter years.

Halfback is too much work for him needs to go back to 6.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as it's after the regular season because he won't be a bulldog after this season

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Please stop. I can imagine Foran n Reynolds in the halves next year and our 2 juniors going on to play some good footy elsewhere
I'm not for it, just speculating what might happen.

Who knows what the board and pay are thinking

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He should be only be concerned about playing well for the dogs!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I like this. It's this determination that makes him a good player. Endless drive and ambition. Keeps him sharp. He doesn't see this or his next contract as a retirement top up.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not opposed to sign him up on a 1-2 year deal around $400k surely his options would Be minimal and we are a much better team with him in there

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not opposed to sign him up on a 1-2 year deal around $400k surely his options would Be minimal and we are a much better team with him in there
Correct. We sign him on a modest salary.
Say to him we sign him on year to year 500k (by current salary standards) deals because of his injury history but we want him at the club for a few years to come. If he's fair dinkum he can't say no to that.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish Fozzy the best of luck for his return an rep Footy..!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How many times have we read these same articles and quotes before since Foran joined the club?

You have to laugh hearing him say "I'm in the best shape of my career" each time he returns from injury. Unfortunately too many fans believe it and think he'll magically turn into an iron man all of a sudden.

I can't believe so many people think him being in and out of the team all of the time is a good thing and that he's worth re-signing.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many times have we read these same articles and quotes before since Foran joined the club?

You have to laugh hearing him say "I'm in the best shape of my career" each time he returns from injury. Unfortunately too many fans believe it and think he'll magically turn into an iron man all of a sudden.

I can't believe so many people think him being in and out of the team all of the time is a good thing and that he's worth re-signing.
Yep cannot believe people on here want to resign him despite his fragile body....this is how desperate we have become....what makes people think he won’t break down again.....we cannot afford to take that risk anymore

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep cannot believe people on here want to resign him despite his fragile body....this is how desperate we have become....what makes people think he won’t break down again.....we cannot afford to take that risk anymore
This should be his theme song

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he gets injured again he's the unluckiest person to of lived after me, really hope he does what he does best and enjoys a long period of competitive football and proves his knockers wrong.

Reactions: DT

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that I’m being selfish but why can’t he just commit to our great club just for once.
We have paid him well and stuck through the long road of rehabilitation so many times
At least pay us back in keeping on the field and avoid unnecessary games.
Dogs first
Country a long second

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s one of the competitions finest players. A fit Foran could have us top 4. He got us within one win of the 8 last year.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please stop. I can imagine Foran n Reynolds in the halves next year and our 2 juniors going on to play some good footy elsewhere
If that was to happen it would be the VERY VERY last straw for me. After his history of injuries in the last few years, I wouldn't resign him again even if he played very game and won us the Premiership this year.