Foran is good to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Star Canterbury recruit Kieran Foran on track to start 2018 after returning to full-contact training
MATT LOGUE, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
Subscriber only
STAR Canterbury recruit Kieran Foran is on track to start the season at five-eighth after returning to full-contact training.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay confirmed Foran had overcome a host of injury concerns, which forced him to spend his first month at the club in rehabilitation.

In a huge boost for the blue and whites, the former New Zealand international completed a series of contact drills prior to the Christmas break.

A fit and firing Foran resumed training on Monday and Pay has sights set on playing the ex-Manly, Parramatta and Warriors playmaker in Canterbury’s opening trial against Canberra at the Sunshine Coast on February 17.

PARTNER: Bulldogs eye Canberra’s Sezer

Foran looks set to start his career anew. (AAP Image/Daniel Munoz)
“Kieran is going really well,” Pay told The Daily Telegraph.

“He did a bit of opposed work before the break and it was good for him to get out there with the boys.

“I think he was over the rehab group and he enjoyed every minute of it. It was good signs, so now we just need to keep progressing with it.”

Pay is particularly pleased to see a smile on Foran’s face.

The premiership-winning half has privately battled for a number of years now, dating back to 2016 when Parramatta granted him indefinite leave of absence to deal with a range of personal issues.

The 27-year-old had been struggling with a relationship breakdown. He was admitted to St Vincent’s hospital after overdosing on prescription medication before being granted leave.

It’s been a tough few years for the Kiwi international. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)
Reports also surfaced that Foran was chasing Manly for $140,000 he was owed in unpaid third party agreements.

After gaining NRL approval, he signed with the Warriors last season and played 17 games before relocating to Sydney to be closer to family.

Pay says Foran looks content being back home and he hopes this enjoyment flows onto the field in 2018.

“I’m really happy for Kieran personally,” he said.

“He has had a tough couple of years, but I’ve said to him from day one we just want to make sure he gets himself fit, healthy and in the best place to play his best footy.

“I want him to get back to really enjoying his footy again. I think that has been missing over the last couple of years and he missed that enjoyment of putting his boots on and playing.

“If you are not enjoying what you are doing then you are not going to perform the best you can.”

Meanwhile, Pay expects Canterbury to perform strongly this season on the back of a strong off-season thus far.

The full Bulldogs squad, including former Wests Tigers skipper Aaron Woods, returned to the pre-season summer slog at Belmore on Monday.

“The players came back in good condition,” Pay said. “They worked really hard before Christmas, so we’ve got a good base.

“They are in good spirits and enjoyed their break, so we are looking forward to keep progressing from here.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Refreshing to listen to a coach that doesn’t talk in riddles
Good to have a coach who actually talks at all. You can't call Des' mumblings and nose whistles talking really. I have no idea how Des gets anything across to the players if he talked like he did in pressers, at training.

Good to hear Foran is scrubbing up ok. If hes fit and happy, he's a star player. And Pay's right, we are going to go well this year. I can just feel it in my bones.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm liking Dean Pay and his Media comments. Very praising of his squad. Very heartening to read. Unlike someone else that was the opposite.
A coach who speaks well, offers some insight and has a good relationship with the media will benefit us off the field. Hasler thought he was king shit and too good to talk to the media or offer anything more than short riddler style responses. Doesn’t really do well for the bulldogs brand.

Well done Pay

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good to have a coach who actually talks at all. You can't call Des' mumblings and nose whistles talking really. I have no idea how Des gets anything across to the players if he talked like he did in pressers, at training.
The "errrr" the "ummms" the stuttering would go a way to explaining how our team played

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Allthough i have no doubts since we signed him that foran would come good, im glad that he is already back to full training with almost 2 months until season kick off. Fantastic news!!!

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
YESSS !!! This is awesome news. If he's healthy & happy the form will come.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I reckon this year or next will be Forans break out year where he really shows his best.

I've noticed o social media and all team shots he seems to be smiling.

Good on the bloke.. he deserves to be happy .. and a happy player is going to enjoy playing decent footy.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon this year or next will be Forans break out year where he really shows his best.

I've noticed o social media and all team shots he seems to be smiling.

Good on the bloke.. he deserves to be happy .. and a happy player is going to enjoy playing decent footy.
I have noticed that too. I disnt want to read to much into it at first, but it does seem that he is genuinely happy at the moment.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He has a mrs and seems very settled and happy ,the club will get his body right and pay will create an environment they will love to play for him

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran will be a revelation for this team and club, exactly what we needed after years of mediocrity and the worlds worst coaching staff.
Yes injuries are a concern for every single player but this guy is tough and mentally tough as well and this is exactly the club he needed for his life and career, now the Hasbeen has gone.
We have been lucky over the years to have some greats of the game, this guy will be fantastic for us all.
Good luck Kieron, we are all supporting you (aren’t we...yes..hehe)

Status
Not open for further replies.