News Foran happy to take pay cut

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
cant believe some on here doing their loads over him after 1 game against what would rate as one of the worst teams ever (even the commentators kept referring to the match as a spoon off), he's barely managed to get on to the field since in the last 6 years.... how desperate have we become that we are blowing loads over a player no other team in the comp would touch.

we need to clear the decks and he has to be one of the first to go and I can tell you now he'll be injured again before the season is over, just because we won a game that was basically the battle of the spastics don't get too carried away

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
cant believe some on here doing their loads over him after 1 game against what would rate as one of the worst teams ever (even the commentators kept referring to the match as a spoon off), he's barely managed to get on to the field since in the last 6 years.... how desperate have we become that we are blowing loads over a player no other team in the comp would touch.

we need to clear the decks and he has to be one of the first to go and I can tell you now he'll be injured again before the season is over, just because we won a game that was basically the battle of the spastics don't get too carried away
Great Avatar, clever

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am pretty sure you will find that there is no way the club will be in a hurry to re-sign him. The only chance they will offer him a new contract would be if :

a) He gets through the rest of the season without getting a serious injury and
b) We dont sign a suitable replacement

The problem is going to be if we cant sign a quality half to replace him. You wouldnt want to be going in to next year with Wakeham, Lewis and Cogger as our halves options.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
he's barely managed to get on to the field since in the last 6 years.
If you want to make a point it is best to at least check your facts. Since 2015 (ie; the last 6 years) Foran has played 70 club games out of a possible 129, which means he has played more games than he has missed. Which is rather a large difference to your claim of "barely managed to get on to the field". Of course it would be better if he played all 129 games and there is no doubt that he has had a bad run with injury, but gross exaggeration does nothing to support your argument.

Go Dogs

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No shit, your going to take a pay cut.
Any club willing to pay more than $500k for this guy is insane and can have him.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If you want to make a point it is best to at least check your facts. Since 2015 (ie; the last 6 years) Foran has played 70 club games out of a possible 129, which means he has played more games than he has missed. Which is rather a large difference to your claim of "barely managed to get on to the field". Of course it would be better if he played all 129 games and there is no doubt that he has had a bad run with injury, but gross exaggeration does nothing to support your argument.

Go Dogs
ok he's managed to play 54% of games in the last 6 years.... still shit house and to me that is barely managing to get on the field

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Foran is like a security blanket for the team.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's still crazy to me that people want to re-sign Foran after one game where he was clearly hobbled the whole time and was barely involved.

I understand the impact he has. I admire how tough and brave he is. But if anything yesterday further proved how banged up he is after years of injuries and how unlikely it is that he plays more than half of the games the rest of the season if he keeps playing hurt.

I hope I'm wrong and hope he stays healthy. He deserves to after all these years. But I certainly wouldn't want them to re-sign him unless he can prove he can stay healthy first.
The problem is how can he prove that he will stay healthy or in other words injury free
He really tries his guts out for our club which I admire but the board understands it’s just a roll of the dice as to how many games Foran plays this year or next
We won yesterday because the ball went out wide in an expansive game plan and a few decoy runners which caused overlaps

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our left edge looked crisp as well. Until Lewis got the ball.
If we had Averillo outside of Foran/Jackson last night I think we win by a lot more. Smith needs to accept the fact he’s a winger. That should be our right edge moving forward, if Averillo needs to stay on the left bring in a decent centre ffs. Our right edge looked so crisp until Smith got it.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say Ponga is the best ball playing fullback in the comp. Hoppa would be a close 2nd though. In terms of catching a high ball I'd say Hoppa is the best in the comp. Nevertheless Hoppa is a fantastic ball player. Granted we fix the havles and hooker positions. No reason why Hoppa can't be our long term fullback.
Hoppa also deserves a lot of credit, I don't think it's outrageous to claim that he's the best ball playing fullback in the comp. Just having Foz and Hoppa in the spine gives us a +2 in terms of genuine playmakers and that's obviously going to lead to much cleaner ball movement and more opportunities.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The problem is how can he prove that he will stay healthy or in other words injury free
He really tries his guts out for our club which I admire but the board understands it’s just a roll of the dice as to how many games Foran plays this year or next
We won yesterday because the ball went out wide in an expansive game plan and a few decoy runners which caused overlaps
It's a gamble I'd rather another club takes next year unless it's a bargain deal.

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd say Ponga is the best ball playing fullback in the comp. Hoppa would be a close 2nd though. In terms of catching a high ball I'd say Hoppa is the best in the comp. Nevertheless Hoppa is a fantastic ball player. Granted we fix the halves and hooker positions. No reason why Hoppa can't be our long term fullback.
I think you are right simply because outside of Teddy, Turbo, RTS and Ponga there are no superstar fullbacks going around anyway. But what we would need is genuine strike power out wide to compensate for that aka Latrell Mitchell 2019 edition. So if we could get 2 of Cotric, or Stephen Crichton (still young and untested but looks good) maybe even Rona or Koroibete? Then you've got a backline of Hoppa, Smith, Cotric/Crichton, Rona, Koroibete/DWZ and suddenly you've got strike every time you go wide.

Combine that with a mobile, hard running forward pack which we've almost already got, someone with vision out of dummy half (get Brandon Smith here now) and a good kicking game and we've got ourselves a top 4 team.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd say Ponga is the best ball playing fullback in the comp. Hoppa would be a close 2nd though. In terms of catching a high ball I'd say Hoppa is the best in the comp. Nevertheless Hoppa is a fantastic ball player. Granted we fix the havles and hooker positions. No reason why Hoppa can't be our long term fullback.
Ponga slipped my mind, he probably edges Hoppa. Yh I honestly wouldn't bother with a fullback now even though I would love is to have a fast and elusive fullback. Just need to recruit a centre and or backline is set for the year imo.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

A lot of us were saying it before that one game. Unless we can sign a top half (marquee) for 2021 I think we need Foran for another year or two and 400-500k is a fair price. If you honestly think no other club/coach would touch him then we can re-sign him for cheaper (I don't think that'll be the case tho). The longer we wait the more expensive he's going to cost to re-sign (same with Elliott).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ponga slipped my mind, he probably edges Hoppa. Yh I honestly wouldn't bother with a fullback now even though I would love is to have a fast and elusive fullback. Just need to recruit a centre and or backline is set for the year imo.
If Hopoate had pace he'd be one of the best fullback in the NRL. He has one of the best set of hands in the comp and can ball play quite well. I still think we should be after a top fullback and he shouldn't be our long term option tho. I'd like him eventually back in the centres.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Given our cap space and not being able to fill our top 30 with quality at this stage a 1 year deal with option in the clubs favour worth 350-400k is reasonable imo