Foran finally fit and raring to bark for Bulldogs

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fo...ing-to-bark-for-bulldogs-20180927-p506cn.html

Canterbury star playmaker Kieran Foran is in such a good place physically and mentally, he is counting the days until the start of pre-season training.

And with skipper Josh Jackson scooping the Dally M back-rower of the year award on Wednesday, things are finally starting to look up at Belmore.

In the same week the NRL suspended half of the $250,000 fine for the Bulldogs' Mad Monday antics, news of Foran's health and Jackson's gong will come as a welcome boost for a support which has had precious little to cheer in 2018.

All smiles: Kieran Foran.

Photo: AAP
The Herald can reveal Foran has confided in teammates about how determined he is to deliver. After Canterbury shed Aaron Woods, Moses Mbye and the Morris twins to relieve some salary-cap pressure, supporters will be almost demanding their $3 million playmaker, who weds next month, stays on the park and justifies his price tag.

Belmore's 2019 finals hopes will be largely dependent on Foran and his fitness and how well he combines with rookie half Lachlan Lewis. Christian Crichton, Corey Harawira-Naera, Jack Cogger, Nick Meaney and Jesse Sue have all been recruited.

"I spoke with 'Foz' the other day and he's feeling good, everything has been cleaned out, he's had all his surgeries and excited to get back to training,'' international prop David Klemmer said.

"He's got that smile on his face and he wants to play footy again. He was like that at the start of this year but his body still wasn't right. He's had a good break now and he's ready to go.

"He's an international player, on his day he is one of the best halves in the game. I'm glad he's with us. He's in a good head space.''

Foran lasted 12 games before a toe injury forced him out of the back half of the season. He also underwent wrist surgery while back issues will continue to receive round-the-clock treatment for the remainder of his career.

Hungry for action: David Klemmer, who has partnered with Deliveroo to launch the 'Klemmer Burger', available over grand final weekend.

Photo: Chloe Paul

Klemmer was disappointed with how the end-of-season celebrations at the Harbour View Hotel were captured by a Sydney newspaper without their knowledge. He said it had been a ''big learning curve'', and things would have been different had they known photographers were secretly watching their every move.

Klemmer also defended coach Dean Pay for attending Mad Monday, and spoke about why he was the man to drive the club forward.

"He's good with the players, he backs us and we found the style of play we want to play with next year,'' said Klemmer, who has combined with Burger Project and Deliveroo this weekend for a one-off 'Klemmer Burger'.

As for Jackson, the unsung hero who missed out on Origin selection this season - but whose inclusion in the Dally M Team of the Year sparked plenty of debate - Klemmer said: "Everyone will have their say but Jacko did a lot of things people didn't see but those who know football did see.

"He had a real captain's knock for us this year. He dug deep, he did the one-per-centers, he was always the first person on the kick chase and covering tackles.''

Klemmer will feature in the PM's XIII clash against Papua New Guinea before being one of the first props picked for Australia's two Tests against New Zealand and Tonga next month.
Reading between the lines, it’s a veiled “fuck you!” To club management who made every effort to medically retire him. He will never be 100%, Pay & co have a huge task in reinventing our game plan & processes both in attack & defence now that we’ll have new L/R centre/wing combinations. Massive challenge for our coaching staff.

Last edited:

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran to dominate

Daly M halfback of the year go Foz!!!!

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran last played well 4 seasons ago. At 1 million a season I just cant correlate "worth" with his performances. Prove me wrong mate but i don't think you will.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Any key to keeping on field has to be stopping him being first receiver. I wonder if Lewis taking over 7 and Foran more the 5/8 is the way to go?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Gees theres some harsh as fuck people on here.

I'll just repeat what I've already said a few times on here in hope it sinks in for once.

1. Forans wrist injury was carried with him from his Warrior days. They fucked up the injury management and he SHOULD have had it operated on way before he even signed with us. Instead their medical staff completely fucked it and assumed the issue would heal without surgery. First or second game for us he reaggrevated it, and that fucked his ability to handle the ball better. Surgery was a clean out and I believe a bone shave to get it fixed AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE.

2. The toe injury was a new one picked up a few games in. Completely made a mess of his toe and required (I believe) a few ligaments to be surgically reattached. Thus why he was hobbling in games.

"Hungry for action: David Klemmer, who has partnered with Deliveroo to launch the 'Klemmer Burger', available over grand final weekend."
3. As mentioned previously, Klemmer has a TPA pull out when the board changed guard. This was the "working it out", and I'm glad it came good. James Hooper was full of shit with his article.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most interesting snippet for me was the bit about Pay finding the style of play the players wanted to play. A good coach can adapt their playbook to the players they are given and builds the team and their performance. Other coaches just have a pre-conceived one size fits all playbook. Time will tell whether Delano is a coaching gem or otherwise, but anything was better than what the team was delivering under Dessie the last two years. As for Kieran Foran, unfortunately none of the ex-Manly duds have proven their worth and we still have a couple that on past performances should be let go ASAP.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Any key to keeping on field has to be stopping him being first receiver. I wonder if Lewis taking over 7 and Foran more the 5/8 is the way to go?
Well he can't run so he will be fucking useless at 5/8.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When Foran is fit, he is probably the best in the business. However, he should be played as second receiver, so he can organise the plays.
First receiver has been a target for the defence, and Foran needs to play wider as second receiver.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have faith! I'm excited about his return next season, he showed a lot of involvement considering his injuries

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think it’s evident forans best days are behind him. And it was a very very poor recruitment by the club based on the last 2-3 years of performances.

No matter what he will never be 100% again and it’s naive to think these bouts of surgeries will change the fact the guys hasn’t played a full season since 2013. His speed is gone and is a defensive liability. Ok he is a brave player but so was Reynolds. And neither is worth anything close to 1 mill let alone over it.

People who keep on banging on about he will come good. The guy has been involved in something like 8 wins in the last 21 games he played. I know the team this year had way more wins without him. We finished like 4/6 or 4/7 or something?

Anyways I really do hope the guy comes good because he will be the reason we won’t be competitive. But it’s naive to think this year will be any different to the last 4-5 years when these articles come about again.....

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he is firing on all cylinders in 2019, but if he doesn't I think we have enough talent to cover his loss.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I've always thought that the best time to be fit was between when your team finished all it's games for the season and round 1 the next year.
And then Rounds 2 to ?.....recommence your surgeries and million dollar rehab.

If that happens again with the majority of the season recovering then surely the guy knows how that affects his team mates and will medically retire.

It would be the last proof needed that he is way over paid and that any club no matter who, can't justify a player incapacitated for consecutive seasons in their salary cap.

Wish him well and if he could get back to his best, and healthy, then he would be a good signing but it looks dicey atm.

He has been to several clubs for one reason or another and sustained injuries. They may not have been managed correctly but he owes the club, his employer, performances consistent with his high salary and only has one original injury sustained when playing for us as far as we know.

He would be out highest paid player? so needs to be on the field or off the roster this year.

Hope he gets healthy and contributes to the team.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Reading between the lines, it’s a veiled “fuck you!” To club management who made every effort to medically retire him. He will never be 100%, Pay & co have a huge task in reinventing our game plan & processes both in attack & defence now that we’ll have new L/R centre/combinations. Massive challenge for our coaching staff.
Hope they've clearly and professionally spelt it out.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly feel the recruitment of CHN is based around Forans direct running and playing late at the line. Our back row will be 11. CHN 12. RFM 13. Jackson.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gees theres some harsh as fuck people on here.

I'll just repeat what I've already said a few times on here in hope it sinks in for once.

1. Forans wrist injury was carried with him from his Warrior days. They fucked up the injury management and he SHOULD have had it operated on way before he even signed with us. Instead their medical staff completely fucked it and assumed the issue would heal without surgery. First or second game for us he reaggrevated it, and that fucked his ability to handle the ball better. Surgery was a clean out and I believe a bone shave to get it fixed AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE.

2. The toe injury was a new one picked up a few games in. Completely made a mess of his toe and required (I believe) a few ligaments to be surgically reattached. Thus why he was hobbling in games.

3. As mentioned previously, Klemmer has a TPA pull out when the board changed guard. This was the "working it out", and I'm glad it came good. James Hooper was full of shit with his article.
All Foran’s injuries (wrist,foot,hamstrings, neck) as a result of his lower back - his signing was a glaring lack of due delingence on the Club’s behalf no contact made with the Warriors’ medical staff etc .Having a background in sports injuries & a warts all summary from an Eels staffer who was gobsmacked not only that we had signed him, but the terms of his contract!!!
I’m hoping for the best.........

Last edited:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Honestly feel the recruitment of CHN is based around Forans direct running and playing late at the line. Our back row will be 11. CHN 12. RFM 13. Jackson.
I'll be bringing RFM off the bench as a impact player and giving him about 50-60 minutes a game. We need a good bench as well