News Foran. Canterbury bulldogs withdraw offer.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Source ; https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

"Other bonuses – Any other bonus contained in a player's contract will be calculated in the Salary Cap if the NRL Salary Cap Auditor expects him to achieve the bonus based on his prior year's performance."

The above is the problem with contracts containing "bonuses", for example playing X amount of games. Even the player doesn't end up being paid the Cap auditor will still include the bonus in our Cap. We have plenty of cash, it's Cap space that's the issue and contracting bonuses doesn't help with that.

I don't see anything wrong with including a clause regarding compulsory medical retirement in the case of any injury greater than say 25% of the season. That way we would not be exposed to having the full contract value in our cap if Foran is injured again. The NRL has set the precedent with
Inglis and SBurgess regarding medical retirement, but it is us after all which means we are subject to the NRL screwing us yet again.

Go Dogs
So based off of the official NRL rule that you have been banging on about, If Foran is on an incentive based contract (games played) then his full potential contract WONT be included in the cap, only the guaranteed amount. Why were you going On Saying the entire amount is included for the last month in every thread?

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton has played a couple of games and shows promise. Barrett has had a good look at him and the club should know how hard they need to go for him. If that is Barretts intention. Just can't see us getting him for next year.
We need someone for next year. If Foran or even Cogger aren't signed we are even thinner in the halves next year than now.
Could get ugly.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He will get another shot at some point and I think Baz will be a good coach for him. I always said it will be a lot harder for Wakeham to transition to NRL because of his physical limitations and lack of running game...pretty much all coaches would rather a youngster with a running game that's more physically gifted just because it's easier to ease them in and add to their game over time.

Will be interesting to see what happens..Wakehams extension was officially announced after the Baz announcement..was that because the club held back on announcements or because the club waited on Baz to make the call?
It would have been Barrets call, imo.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He will get another shot at some point and I think Baz will be a good coach for him. I always said it will be a lot harder for Wakeham to transition to NRL because of his physical limitations and lack of running game...pretty much all coaches would rather a youngster with a running game that's more physically gifted just because it's easier to ease them in and add to their game over time.

Will be interesting to see what happens..Wakehams extension was officially announced after the Baz announcement..was that because the club held back on announcements or because the club waited on Baz to make the call?
I totally agree baz will get the best out of wakes

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
6 - Averillo
7- Burton

The problem is experience and we're praying we can sign Burton. If we end up with playing a combination of the other three (if we can't sign Burton), that alone is probably enough for us to not make the eight next year.

I'd be re-signing Foran, I'd just feel a lot more comfortable, but that's just me.
One thing i dont get is people thinking we will be challenging for the trophy next yr... I have been saying it for 2 yrs now 2022 will be the year we actually put a dent in the comp. Next yr will be another trial year focusing on sorting out the squad.

I wouldnt be riding Wakeham off at all tbh, kid has the goods, has just struggled with the transition and cant blame the kid considering. SG should really be giving Brandon and Avo a run in the halves considering that combo might be an answer instead of going shopping at all.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe not so much these days
I dunno, wounds could always mend but it was pretty evident Hastings does not like Barrett especially after the fact the kid had to go across the world to continue his trade.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
One thing i dont get is people thinking we will be challenging for the trophy next yr... I have been saying it for 2 yrs now 2022 will be the year we actually put a dent in the comp. Next yr will be another trial year focusing on sorting out the squad.

I wouldnt be riding Wakeham off at all tbh, kid has the goods, has just struggled with the transition and cant blame the kid considering. SG should really be giving Brandon and Avo a run in the halves considering that combo might be an answer instead of going shopping at all.
I don't think we'll be contending for a premiership until ~2024. I do think we can assemble a roster to be in or around the eight for next year tho. It has already been ~three years this can't go on any longer (the main reasons aren't going to be there anymore).

I wish Wakeham was given almost every game this year (tbh just a real shot) but from what I've seen and how he's been treated I can't be confident in him for next year. I do think he needs another year in reserve grade. I'd just feel a lot more confident keeping Foran if we want to make the eight, just imo tho.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think we'll be contending for a premiership until ~2024. I do think we can assemble a roster to be in or around the eight for next year tho. It has already been ~three years this can't go on any longer (the main reasons aren't going to be there anymore).

I wish Wakeham was given almost every game this year (tbh just a real shot) but from what I've seen and how he's been treated I can't be confident in him for next year. I do think he needs another year in reserve grade. I'd just feel a lot more confident keeping Foran if we want to make the eight, just imo tho.
2024 should be the year we are short favorites.
|
We should be around the 8 next yr regardless tbh.. Having a more settled line-up, new faces, uninjured faces, more experienced faces and a decent coach will make a massive difference. Yes Foran is a big out but his also a massive liability, how many times has he gone down when we needed him the most.... Cant be bothered for that shit anymore.