Opinion Foran - Burgess - Salary Cap relief and exemption fiasco

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The only fault I put on the club is they should have taped Forans mouth shut "Animal Kingdom" style. That's a Netflix series btw. It's awesome!! Sorry I digress.

Foran, unlike Burgess and Inglis screwed us over the moment he said he won't retire. From that moment we were never going to get him medically retired.

The question now has to be asked, come round 13 when we get the $350k grant and Foran comes out and say's the shoulder hasn't healed as expected and that he is no longer capable of playing anymore. How would that sit with everyone? I'd be pissed off big time because like everyone is saying he should be medically retired now so we can make a big name signing. Instead we have to wait a full season at least and just hope a top level player is available.
Of course my initial reaction leans heavily towards what is best for the club and not one of the worst signings in rugby league history BUT I don’t blame him for wanting to do what’s best for his family and himself. Sporting careers are short lived and once you earn that sort of income you need to do your best to maintain it.

He obviously wants to give himself every opportunity to earn another contract and not retire at 30. It’s easy for us to say but if we were in his shoes I bet most would do the same, especially those of us who need to earn a certain amount of money to maintain our lifestyle and investments

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im thinking the NRL need a rethink on this rule and it should be percentage of salary missed through injury , on a mill and half season missed 500,000 plus medical bills