1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Fools Gold

Discussion in 'Bulldogs Discussion' started by bulldogfan1, Aug 12, 2018.

1. bulldogfan1

bulldogfan1 Forum Regular

The last 2 weeks had got all of our hopes up.
    Dont get me wrong, anytime we get a win it makes you happy.
    However, looking back, it seems like fools gold and some real concerns for the future.
    We jagged 2 wins against "GOOD" teams in the Tigers and the Broncos. I have no doubt in my mind, those 2 teams came to that game on a cold winters night, empty massive stadium with less atmosphere than your local cemetery at 2am.
    The Tigers had 2 big wins against quality opposition in big games.
    The first game against the Dragons at a packed Kogarah Sunday afternoon. Then smashed the Rabbits in a big game which was Suttons 300th game with a fairly big crowd.
    I have zero doubt the Tigers came to our game just thinking what they have just achieved, that they just had to turn up to win. No doubt in my mind.
    The same with the Broncos who had just flogged the Panthers and beaten the Sharks in front of big crowds.
    No doubt they also thought they had to just turn up to win.
    You see, the NRL is such a long gruelling season, that players look for any opportunity to clock off or to just relax a little bit. It is human nature.
    It seems to me, that Pay and the team RELY on the opposition to be down for us to win.
    Nothing, and i mean absolutely nothing has changed from the last few years. We defend well as we have for the past few years, but still look clueless in attack.
    People saying that Lewis missing was the difference dont have a clue.
    Lewis' MAIN asset is his defense. We did not conceed a point down that side of the field where he usually defends. Yes, he has a solid kicking game, but he is not a cretaor of points as people seem to think.
    People talking about him missing last night as if we were missing Ponga.
    Our problems stay the same. We dont have a creative bone in the team.
    That 10 mins just before half time was laughable. You get the sense when we were in the opp 20, there is no sense of ownership. No sense of "this is what we are doing, follow me". JMK and Frawley looked like headless chooks. They have no idea what they are doing. No idea.
    Manly down to 12 men and we were camped in the opp 20 and never once looked like scoring.
    Manlys right hand side has been diabolical defensively the last 3-4 weeks and we still could not create any opportunity.
    IMO, it is going to get worse than better next season.
    We lose the Morris bros. While they are getting older, they are still the BEST defensive centre and winger combo in the league that we take for granted. Once they go, that luxury will be gone.
    I cannot see Foran getting anywhere near what he used to be.
    Cogger? SMH.
    I am not doubting the teams commitment, desire and effort. You have to be proud of those.
    At this stage, i see no relief in the next 2 years in terms of getting smarts and creativity in the team.
    We are on the right path with the clean out as the team has spent too much on its cap in areas it shouldnt be.
    People here talking about Barba. SMH. Yes he tears up Super league. The defenses in that league is a joke. He will also be 30 next season.
    A win is a win, but dont get excited and think the club is on its way up when we beat teams who clearly have not turned up and come in with a frame of mind that it will be easy for them.

• Best Post Best Post x 1
  2. no1bulldog

no1bulldog Kennel Addict Gilded

fuck me there's some negative cunts on here, membership should come with a script for bipolar medication

as for lewis no creating go back and actually watch the games he has played and watch what happens off the ball and you see him directing players where to go and marshalling the forwards around so its not the same crap over and over and even when he doesn't have the ball he is directing where it has to go.....if you watch the action off the ball, we really missed direction night and fell back in to our rudderless lost directionless stuff far out calm down take a breath before you burst an ulcer mate

• Like Like x 12
    • Best Post Best Post x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. bulldogfan1

bulldogfan1 Forum Regular

Lachlan Lewis
    6 games
    1 TRY Assist.
    1 Line break Assist.
    3 Forced line drop outs

Matt Frawley
    10 Games
    5 TRY Assists
    3 Line Break Assists.
    5 Forced Line Drop outs

4. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible Super Mod Staff Member Premium Member Gilded

Donald Trump has the Great Mexican Wall.
    The Kennel has the Great Bulldogfan1 Wall of Text.

Take the major playmaker (and thus direction) out of any club and they will struggle to win a game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. coach

coach Kennel Addict

Give me Lewis over Frawley any day

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. speedy2460

speedy2460 Kennel Enthusiast

One word in the above posts about the dogs is very close to the mark. That word is RUDDERLESS. The ship does not have a rudder. No one takes control and directs players.
    They all stand and wait for someone to do something. That someone is not doing anything.
    I think JJ offers more to the team as a player than anyone else. But he is not a Captain.
    Have a look at T.Lamb and see what he offered. Just a little bit of that would be welcome.
    Lewis has showed that he can direct players, but he is so young. I'm not sure the players respond to him.

7. Kelpie03

Kelpie03 Forum Regular

To me Lewis and Frawley complemented each other against the Broncos, it was our best win of the season IMHO.

8. Scoooby

Scoooby Kennel Enthusiast Gilded

We missed the prince !! There is no doubting that, his game management and last tackle options are far SUPERIOR than Wolverines and it showed.

9. dogwhisperer

dogwhisperer Kennel Enthusiast

Hey No.1 Bulldog fan, I’m not going to rubbish your post because clearly you’ve put a lot of time and effort into your post. But just want to remind you that there are always two sides to a coin. While some on here keep saying the Tigers and Broncos didn’t turn up because they a had a couple of big wins and big games before hand, how bout saying the bulldogs turned up because they had a couple of bad performances beforehand and maybe were desperate for a win and actually played well?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. no1bulldog

no1bulldog Kennel Addict Gilded

Darren Lockyer had shithouse SuperCoach stats to the point you couldn’t pick him... but there wouldn’t be a team in the NRL that wouldn’t have killed to have him in their side steering the team around the park

For all of Frawleys great stats we have a very poor record with him in the side

• Like Like x 1
  11. KLil

KLil Kennel Addict

The proof stats don't mean shit post.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. The_Chimpster

The_Chimpster Kennel Enthusiast

Fucking hell, you need an editor to work on your posts mate (and a proofreader)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kaz

Kaz Immortal

Hey, not the OP's fault their enter button isn't working.

Shame on you. :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. diddly

diddly Forum Regular Gilded x2 Premium Member Gilded

Lewis has energy and enthusiasm, as well as a great defensive game - he makes a big difference on and off the ball. The halves last night were terrible - the forward s in the first half created enough space and go forward for much more than one try!. The two players that have continued to disappoint me particularly this year are the Morris bros. Defensively still good but seem disinterested - minimal energy in attack. The club desperately needs some strong, fast, outside backs who compete throughout the game.

15. Dognacious

Dognacious Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member Gilded

Another kennel rant after a loss. Not sure of the point of it. We were better with lewis in, so it stands to reason without him we are worse, which we were. Unsure why anyone is outraged or even surprised. If i had known in time lewis was out i would have changed my tip to manly.

16. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Kennel Addict

I have no idea why people excepted miracles with the halves pairing we had last night. We did well to only lose by 12 to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lex

Lex Waterboy

Ridiculous post. You’re right that Lewis’ defence is good, but he offers far more than that. Have a look at the replays from our two wins. The kid has bucketloads of intensity, can play both sides, never shuts up, and has a great short kicking game. When you’re done there, watch JMK last night. Looks lethargic, disinterested, never says a word, and has one type of kick that he uses over and over. In fact, the only time I noticed him in the first half hour was when he fed a scrum. Even then he looked shell shocked. Add Lewis and we capitalise on our first half possession. We’re not world beaters at this point, but blind Freddy can see it is a problem with execution in the halves.

18. G_Dog_Rota

G_Dog_Rota Super Moderator Staff Member Gilded x2 Premium Member

Fool's Gold.. shit thread , but great song (stoned roses) . One of my favourites

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bull Terrier

Bull Terrier Forum Regular

Lewis for me anyday. Go the PRINCE

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  20. The_Chimpster

The_Chimpster Kennel Enthusiast

Always reminds me of lock, stock & two smoking barrels when I hear it.

Great song and one of my favourite movies