News Folau case may send Rugby Australia broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope Folau appeals to the courts & loses & has to pay RA legal costs.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Emphasis on "John West QC"

The reason he was there was because they had to ensure that it was a legal breach. John West is a very good barrister. If he says it's solid then it's solid. Folau won't have a leg to stand on.
its the cases that john west rejects that make john west the best

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is just the beginning... In a way it's good because it will draw a line in the sand for for all people who struggle to see where religious freedom ends.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Israel was foolish in the the way he went about getting biblical views across, BUT I would also say Raelene is just as foolish (if not more) in the way she has decided to drag this through the spotlight.

The damage this is doing to Rugby Australia is unfathomable, and that is due not to what Israel has said, but completely by the way RA has handled this saga.

Ironically, the very same thing they accuse Folau of (intentionally brining the game into disrepute via media - be it social or not) is the exact thing RA is currently doing in their public persue of Folau.

Castle is a fool and RA is her fiddle.
I think it's the other way around. Rugby Australia were forced to act because people were cancelling their memberships and threatening to boycott the game.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Will this come back to 'haunt' him.

What a difference five years makes: Folau’s gay magazine past

It seems inconceivable now, but in 2014 Israel Folau was a poster boy for the world’s leading gay rugby tournament, the Bingham Cup.

Folau and Waratahs and Wallabies teammate Adam Ashley-Cooper posed for a cover photo for the Star Observer, which claims to be Australia’s longest-running publication for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex communities.

Under the headline ‘big boys and their balls,’ the magazine cheekily suggested the duo were “getting it on for the tournament.”

untitled.png

At the time, a Bingham Cup spokesman said Folau was a “strong advocate for ending all forms of the discrimination in sport.”

What a difference five years makes as Folau again hits the headlines for his controversial religious views.

Folau’s rugby future hangs in the balance as Rugby Australia’s integrity unit reviews his latest social media posts, which stated that hell awaits “drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolators” — adding they should “repent” as “only Jesus saves.”

Is he a hypocrite.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

THAT is a direct quote.....at least so far as I can ascertain. What Folau shared was not. I don't get what is so hard to understand here. Quotes should be taken verbatim and this passage references the kingdom of God....it makes no mention of Hell at all.
But if they don't inherit the kingdom of God then ultimately they will burn ? According to scripture all sinners will purge in the lake of fire.. soooo its still from the Bible.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's the other way around. Rugby Australia were forced to act because people were cancelling their memberships and threatening to boycott the game.
No doubt they felt they had to do something... But would you say they have handled it with wisdom?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Alan Jones isn't gay.
I've heard he is. My uncle is as strong a South Sydney support as you get (so is Alan Jones). Apparently, Jones has a poster of Tricky Trindall in his office. I'm not bullshitting, this is a fact.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
This is just the beginning... In a way it's good because it will draw a line in the sand for for all people who struggle to see where religious freedom ends.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Israel was foolish in the the way he went about getting biblical views across, BUT I would also say Raelene is just as foolish (if not more) in the way she has decided to drag this through the spotlight.

The damage this is doing to Rugby Australia is unfathomable, and that is due not to what Israel has said, but completely by the way RA has handled this saga.

Ironically, the very same thing they accuse Folau of (intentionally brining the game into disrepute via media - be it social or not) is the exact thing RA is currently doing in their public persue of Folau.

Castle is a fool and RA is her fiddle.
That's right. The best thing Castle could've done is just leave him be. He has Christian views, and he is NOT hurting anyone. If some idiot at QANTAS was offended, she can simply make him ineligible to represent the Wallabies - who QANTAS sponsor.

That's why this whole thing has come this far.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No doubt they felt they had to do something... But would you say they have handled it with wisdom?
Nope. They were pretty messy about it. They tried to take action in a way that would tell the fans they are doing what the fans want, but that meant that they were going to get equal backlash from the other fans.

On the other side of the coin though, they say no exposure is bad exposure. It has people talking about Rugby again.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've heard he is. My uncle is as strong a South Sydney support as you get (so is Alan Jones). Apparently, Jones has a poster of Tricky Trindall in his office. I'm not bullshitting, this is a fact.
The gay rumour started 'cause one of his friends is gay and someone accused him of supporting his friend 'cause he was in a gay relationship with him. The rumour was quickly put to bed but... you never know.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. They were pretty messy about it. They tried to take action in a way that would tell the fans they are doing what the fans want, but that meant that they were going to get equal backlash from the other fans.

On the other side of the coin though, they say no exposure is bad exposure. It has people talking about Rugby again.
Agreed, that was my original point.... Folau was foolish in his actions, but RA even more foolish in the way they have gone about dealing with him.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not quite sure about Jones and Tricky being more than friends..but I do know he’s got him out of a few nasty situations..that was of Trindall’s own making..

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The gay rumour started 'cause one of his friends is gay and someone accused him of supporting his friend 'cause he was in a gay relationship with him. The rumour was quickly put to bed but... you never know.
Hacky..no..I have seen things with my own eyes..and from others..and I’m not confirming his gay whatsoever..it’s more complex than that..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
But if they don't inherit the kingdom of God then ultimately they will burn ? According to scripture all sinners will purge in the lake of fire.. soooo its still from the Bible.
The point - Your head_

A quote is a quote, dude....what Folau shared was NOT a bible quote. Talk about inheriting the kingdom of God (or not) is a lot less inflammatory than threatening someone with Hellfire (if you'll excuse the pun). Tone matters.....and if you're trying to convince someone to follow what you see as a righteous path, talk of what they will receive by doing so is a lot more persuasive than talk about the punishment that will be received if they don't.....maybe that's why the passage was phrased the way it was. Who is Folau or anyone else to change that?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hacky..no..I have seen things with my own eyes..and from others..and I’m not confirming his gay whatsoever..it’s more complex than that..
What youy're essentially trying to say is he's a little bit Mr Garrison? :P

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
The point - Your head_

A quote is a quote, dude....what Folau shared was NOT a bible quote. Talk about inheriting the kingdom of God (or not) is a lot less inflammatory than threatening someone with Hellfire (if you'll excuse the pun). Tone matters.....and if you're trying to convince someone to follow what you see as a righteous path, talk of what they will receive by doing so is a lot more persuasive than talk about the punishment that will be received if they don't.....maybe that's why the passage was phrased the way it was. Who is Folau or anyone else to change that?
LOL lets be real here.. and I do agree somewhat that the message doesn't come across nicely but even if he did talk purely about inheriting the kingdom of God - many will still be triggered by it and report it as offensive and oppressive towards the LGBT community.

Status
Not open for further replies.