Flat screen TV question

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are oled / uled tv prone to vertical banding? My Samsung cop it within the first 6 months of ownership, Samsung said they wouldn't do anything about it.

Moral of the story is Samsung's are POS

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Are oled / uled tv prone to vertical banding? My Samsung cop it within the first 6 months of ownership, Samsung said they wouldn't do anything about it.

Moral of the story is Samsung's are POS
I haven't noticed it at all while watching or gaming with it. Do have a dead pixel but that's something I don't notice and don't really want to run the risk of getting a worse panel back in return. I'll leave it for a year and claim through my warranty and hopefully get a free upgrade because there's no stock left lol.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My LG screen developed lines 2 years after we bought it. Fortunately LG said that they'll still repair even though it's out of warranty. After a few months of back and forth they advised that they can't get parts to repair it so they're effectively giving us a full refund. Time to look for a new TV.

Have the Sony x9000h as my second TV and I love it. Thinking of getting another one of those but I may wait until the new Sony's and Samsung's come out.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@DinkumDog @Hacky McAxe yo why the fuck my Prime stream dropping to potato quality with 250mbps internet and plugged directly into the router? Is the Prime app poo poo or something?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bloke in JB HI sold me a Palsonic (yeah never heard of them either) 85cm flat screen in 2007 and we only just two months ago got rid it, not because it'd stopped working but because we got a bigger one. This thing was a Trojan.
Sorry to hear they hoodwinked you. Did you think you were getting a Panasonic until a few months later when. Someone made it clear to you?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My LG screen developed lines 2 years after we bought it. Fortunately LG said that they'll still repair even though it's out of warranty. After a few months of back and forth they advised that they can't get parts to repair it so they're effectively giving us a full refund. Time to look for a new TV.

Have the Sony x9000h as my second TV and I love it. Thinking of getting another one of those but I may wait until the new Sony's and Samsung's come out.
See that's what a quality manufacturer does. Stands behind the product on the unlikely event there are issues

But Those fat guys that buy a bauhn TV from aldi get real angry soon after when their big screen goes pear shaped. When they go back to Aldi, they get told to f**K off by management. But next time there is a aldi special buy on tv they buy another one :grinning:

Process repeats every 6 months.

Just buy a proper tv for God's sake

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
@DinkumDog @Hacky McAxe yo why the fuck my Prime stream dropping to potato quality with 250mbps internet and plugged directly into the router? Is the Prime app poo poo or something?
Your Prime app is native to the TV and TV plugged directly into the router via Ethernet?

I’m not sure about specific settings in that case as I have Prime via Apple TV, but I found a trick via the Prime mobile app, so if not already, install that on your phone and log in to your account. Go to ‘My Stuff’, click the Settings cog (top right) then select ‘Streaming and Downloading’ then ‘Streaming Quality’. It defaults to ‘Good’ but you can choose ‘Better’ or ‘Best’. This affects your whole account no matter which device you use Prime on (once you change this you might have to log out of your account and log back in on your TV to ensure the account changes apply to that device).

In terms of internet I think you said you’re with Superloop? So you’ve taken advantage of the free speed upgrade and you’re on 250/25? Assume those offers are also unlimited data - just check they’re not throttling you after using a certain amount of data - but I’d say the issue is more the app setting than your ISP.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Your Prime app is native to the TV and TV plugged directly into the router via Ethernet?

I’m not sure about specific settings in that case as I have Prime via Apple TV, but I found a trick via the Prime mobile app, so if not already, install that on your phone and log in to your account. Go to ‘My Stuff’, click the Settings cog (top right) then select ‘Streaming and Downloading’ then ‘Streaming Quality’. It defaults to ‘Good’ but you can choose ‘Better’ or ‘Best’. This affects your whole account no matter which device you use Prime on (once you change this you might have to log out of your account and log back in on your TV to ensure the account changes apply to that device).

In terms of internet I think you said you’re with Superloop? So you’ve taken advantage of the free speed upgrade and you’re on 250/25? Assume those offers are also unlimited data - just check they’re not throttling you after using a certain amount of data - but I’d say the issue is more the app setting than your ISP.
Yes. I'll give that a go with the mobile app and see if it make a difference. Now that I think about it I don't think I had the drop in quality when I streamed via my Shield so many it could just be the App on the TV.

Yh been with Superloop for a while, was going to switch to Aussie Broadband but then they offered the free upgrade the other day so I might as well stay for another 6 months.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes. I'll give that a go with the mobile app and see if it make a difference. Now that I think about it I don't think I had the drop in quality when I streamed via my Shield so many it could just be the App on the TV.

Yh been with Superloop for a while, was going to switch to Aussie Broadband but then they offered the free upgrade the other day so I might as well stay for another 6 months.
Yeah see if you can bring up the ‘Streaming Quality’ setting on the TV app. It doesn’t appear on the Apple TV app that’s why it’s done via the iOS mobile app but native TV app may be different. Let me know how you go, I’m curious to see if it makes a difference. I also just upgraded with Superloop, was on 100/40 but giving 250/25 a go for 6 months to see if any noticeable difference as I do a reasonable (not crazy) amount of uploading too. Worst case will revert back.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No idea. Mine runs perfect. I would uninstall then reinstall and see if that fixes it.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know when the new 2021 TV'S will be landing in Aus? Im holding of
buying a new Sony till they arrive.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah see if you can bring up the ‘Streaming Quality’ setting on the TV app. It doesn’t appear on the Apple TV app that’s why it’s done via the iOS mobile app but native TV app may be different. Let me know how you go, I’m curious to see if it makes a difference. I also just upgraded with Superloop, was on 100/40 but giving 250/25 a go for 6 months to see if any noticeable difference as I do a reasonable (not crazy) amount of uploading too. Worst case will revert back.
I'll give it a go tomorrow when watching The Expanse. It only happened last night while watching Coming 2 America...could've just been that a lot of idiots that tuned in to watch that rubbish at the same time, soooooo bad :tearsofjoy:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No idea. Mine runs perfect. I would uninstall then reinstall and see if that fixes it.
I think it might just be because I'm using the LG webOS. I'll just use the shield if it doesn't improve, never noticed it when using that before.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'll give it a go tomorrow when watching The Expanse. It only happened last night while watching Coming 2 America...could've just been that a lot of idiots that tuned in to watch that rubbish at the same time, soooooo bad :tearsofjoy:
:tearsofjoy: Thanks for the spoiler/warning.
Was going to watch it tonight.
Had a feeling it would be a massive let down compared to the original.
Two hours of life you can never get back?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
:tearsofjoy: Thanks for the spoiler/warning.
Was going to watch it tonight.
Had a feeling it would be a massive let down compared to the original.
Two hours of life you can never get back?
Lol not even comparable to the original movie...i.mean it's a complete rip off of the the original but entirely shit at the same time. Some funny moments but really it's probably one of the worst movies i've seen in years.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hisense Harvey Norman
I bought one $1199 58 inch smart 4k cant believe the picture quality! i watch a lot of older movies and fark me they dont look the same just unbelievable quality and great sound as well, i have a surround system and i dont turn it on.