Smart tv or android tv
That is the question.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Isn't there a smart android? Or are they basically the same?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What’s the difference? I got a Samsung frame TV and it works really wel going between Netflix, Foxtel etc. single remote for it all

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
An Android TV is a smart TV. There's other others though. Like Roku, which is similar but generally only available in the US. There's WebOS which is on LG Smart TV's. There's a few others too.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I bought a Kogan Android TV for the kids play area and it goes good.
Set up was easy, synced it with my google account and all the apps installed, passwords came across etc.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A smart TV simply means it can connect to web apps either natively (via the onboard OS) or by adding an external ‘smart’ box such as Apple TV, Roku and others. What are you trying to achieve @Fear.The.Roo?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A smart TV simply means it can connect to web apps either natively (via the onboard OS) or by adding an external ‘smart’ box such as Apple TV, Roku and others. What are you trying to achieve @Fear.The.Roo?
My old plasma needs an upgrade.
Looking at getting a 55inch.
Guy at the store said to get an android model rather than a smart tv.
Said the android version can download apps.
The smart tv can not.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
An Android TV is a smart TV. There's other others though. Like Roku, which is similar but generally only available in the US. There's WebOS which is on LG Smart TV's. There's a few others too.
Guy at the store said android can download apps, a smart tv can not.

Apparentlty?.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plasma! Holy crap how old is that? I cried when I replaced my plasma it was a really good set and that was at least 5 years ago if yours was as good I can see why you've stuck with it

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My old plasma needs an upgrade.
Looking at getting a 55inch.
Guy at the store said to get an android model rather than a smart tv.
Said the android version can download apps.
The smart tv can not.
Sounds like he’s on a commission from Google :-).
A smart TV is any internet connected TV that can accomodate apps and stream content from the web (ie: Netflix, rather than broadcast by the networks via your aerial).

A simple way to make your decision is what phone do you use? If iPhone I’d buy Apple TV, if Android you might prefer Android TV.

Just make sure if you don’t wire it with an ethernet cable that you have good Wi-Fi and you should be fine either way.

The only other decision is whether it bothers you to have an external solution for smart like Apple TV which means another power socket, another remote (although Siri or the Apple TV app can control Apple TV from iPhone too).

If you prefer everything in one unit, Android or another Smart OS might be a better solution which can connect to the interwebs and download apps such as Netflix, Stan, Prime etc.

Personally I’ve got two Apple TV 4K boxes for two different rooms but I’m an Apple whore so biased :-).

Good luck and if you have more questions, just ask.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just pissed off my 15 y old plasma and bought LG 65", mate f.......g brilliant, apple tv built in as well as a shitload of others, I still kept apple tv for library on imac, glad I got 65" I was tossing up with 55", only got a smallish tv room but 65 perfect, hope of some help

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like he’s on a commission from Google :-).
A smart TV is any internet connected TV that can accomodate apps and stream content from the web (ie: Netflix, rather than broadcast by the networks via your aerial).

A simple way to make your decision is what phone do you use? If iPhone I’d buy Apple TV, if Android you might prefer Android TV.

Just make sure if you don’t wire it with an ethernet cable that you have good Wi-Fi and you should be fine either way.

The only other decision is whether it bothers you to have an external solution for smart like Apple TV which means another power socket, another remote (although Siri or the Apple TV app can control Apple TV from iPhone too).

If you prefer everything in one unit, Android or another Smart OS might be a better solution which can connect to the interwebs and download apps such as Netflix, Stan, Prime etc.

Personally I’ve got two Apple TV 4K boxes for two different rooms but I’m an Apple whore so biased :-).

Good luck and if you have more questions, just ask.
Know what you mean, I've got everything apple, imac ipad iphone extreme wifi, had windows in business and home for years, never go back

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Plasma! Holy crap how old is that? I cried when I replaced my plasma it was a really good set and that was at least 5 years ago if yours was as good I can see why you've stuck with it
Plasma was always superior just not cost effective

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Its 15 years old.
Still works.
Just bit black in patches during dark scenes