Opinion Flanno v Tigers analysis

Ellie

Waterboy
Reaction score
Calm down guys his best days are ahead of him when his dad arrives ;)

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
this thread is about flanno
If you want to write about Flanno - knock yourself out! Nobody is stopping you.

For me, part of the charm of the kennel is the way the various threads wander about, going where the comments take them.

Reactions: mez

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be patient Brad... our window begins to open slightly in 2024 and beyond... by then the majority of our squad will be pricey. In my opinion its better to spread the cash rather than to blow most of it on one player. When u really think about it Munster will command 1.2 mil plus to come to the dogs, thats almost 3 starting spots in your 17 and probably guns.
We've all been patient for far too long. It would be 2 starting spots who barely make a difference to us. Both off contract after 2023. Thompson (800k) + Allan (500k) = Munster at 1.2M + 1 minimum wage player. Flano (450k) and Jackson (500K on cap) off contract same year also + a few others (Burns, Okunbor, Waddell, Cook, Ava).

Roosters are spending 3M on 3 of their spine next year. Storm paying about 3M on 3 of their spine. Cleary on 1M, Luai just under. Sea Eagles spending over 2M on 2 of their spine. Dragons 1.2M on Hunt. Raiders 1M on Wighton. Knights 1.2M on Ponga. Rabbits 2.4M on 3 of their spine. Eels around 2M on 2 of their spine. And some people still want us to spend f..k all (just over 2M) on our whole spine ? I don't get that.

Even with Munster on 1.2M and upgrades for Averillo and Burton we'd be coming in at around 3M (an average spend) for our 4 spine players

Averillo 500K
Burton 700K
Munster 1.2M
Mahoney 600K

Last edited:

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fair analysis. He was far more vocal in organising runners than he had been and was generally in position to take any linkage passes from JMK. In light of the lack of depth of real quality halfbacks, Flanno gets a pass mark and should continue to improve the rest of this year as he grows with our improved performances under Potter.
Which beggars the question. Flanno under Potter is providing direction and linkage to the attacking players. If Potter is retained as coach next year, Flanno may progress even further. It also means appointing Shane Flanagan from next year shouldn't be problematic due to the supposed reason that Gould wishes to shop Flanno, hence can't appoint his father as coach.
After Brooks poor showing yesterday, word is that he will be dropped by Kimmorley for Douie next round. Brooks had been linked to Knights, Titans, Raiders and us. For mine, I don't want him at Belmore. Flanno is doing just fine thank you.
So I see no need to be shopping Flanno at seasons end and accordingly, if not Potter, I see no impediment to S Flanagan winning our coaching appointment.
Again, we don't want Fittler, who will be a losing SOO Coach this year as Dogs coach. Potter or Flanno will do the job and both have what we need. A cool head, respected, footy nouse, and neither are rookies.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s been doing well, it makes a huge difference to all players when they are having fun and playing as a team, everyone definitely deserves to be proud of their efforts of late.!!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Our attack was always going to improve once jackson was told to stay out of the way in good ball. kyle has improved marginally but it has nothing to do with his ability or talent it's the change in our attacking structure. Bottom line is if we want to play finals football it won't be with flange at 7.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He’s ok for now, but can’t be re-signed. Our 9 and 7 are very limited in attack but at least they can contribute with their defense.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s ok for now, but can’t be re-signed. Our 9 and 7 are very limited in attack but at least they can contribute with their defense.
The 9 coming is a running, passing and kicking threat. he'll add heaps in attack. pair that with burto and to an extent averillo and its almost OK that flanno isn't a world beater, we just need someone to do the organising and throw an occasional pass to be honest

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be racing out to sign Cam Munster on big money, He is 27 - almost 28 - and has been playing at the top level for 8 or 9 years.He is approaching the age when the body starts telling you all this heavy contact is not such a smart idea. Some players start to decline, some start getting injured a lot, and others start pacing themselves, saving their best efforts for the big occasions. According to the grapevine, the Dolphins are trying to tempt him with $1.2M but the Storm have only offered $750,000. He has played all his senior football at the Storm and so you would expect them to know their player better than anyone.

BTW - he seems to have caught everybody's attention because of the great game he played in Origin One. The thing is - he didn't! He played a great second half.
You can’t really say that Munster caught everyone’s attention because of one half of footy. He’s been consistently in the top 3 halves in the game for the last 5 years. On top of that, he delivers in the big games. I think everybody already knew how much of a great player he was.. that second half in origin just reinforced it

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can’t really say that Munster caught everyone’s attention because of one half of footy. He’s been consistently in the top 3 halves in the game for the last 5 years. On top of that, he delivers in the big games. I think everybody already knew how much of a great player he was.. that second half in origin just reinforced it
Yeah Munster is obviously a top player, problem is we need a game controlling half, we saw when Hughes was out for Storm he struggled, I don’t think Burton, Munster would work really as they are both playing similar roles

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been guilty just like many of being negative towards the guy (Flanno), SO when I watched yesterday's game again today I decided I might pay extra attention to his game to see what I come up with. I've ummed and ahhed about him like you for ages now, I wanted to get some facts to help me decide about him instead of running on emotion.

Winners are grinners and most players look good in a winning game.

So this will be long, if your not interested in this sort of thing then feel free to move on.

So if your still with me I watched him and made these notes,

* So I decided to do this after the 11th min and couldn't be bothered rewinding,
12th min
- Kick, grubber that forces a line drop out
13th min - Kicked cross field, landed 10m out from opposition tryline - causes a knock-on = our scrum
* positional play and linking very good, organising forwards during play
14th min - JMK scores from dummy half scoot in the set from scrum
* Tigers have the ball for a bit here and score from JAC's wing error
22nd min - 5th tackle, 10m from tigers tryline Flanno takes on the line, stopped 1m out. At this point the backline was a little too deep but he should have passed it as there was an opportunity and most likely a try coming.
24th min - after a tigers kick Flanno was first back to dummy half to pass the ball, showed effort to be there ready 1%er
28th min
- Prop run impacting on the line, Flanno waiting and available for the offload if needed. 1%er
29th min -
arranging forwards during play and organising
30th min - Dogs attack falters near tigers tryline and we lose 25m, Flanno is back and available for the 5th tackle kick. Bomb lands 1m from tryline, good placement. 1%er
31st min
- Dogs 1st tackle 15m out and Flanno stands as pivot, passes to JAC giving width, JAC runs 40m down field, passes to Burto who grubbers into in goal getting us a dropout. Flanno supporting inside Burto.
34th min - Allan catches kick on full and runs 40m. Dogs don't reset for attack, JMK passes to Flanno, takes the tackle and gets hurt a little 1%er
41st min
- 1st man back at dummy half after tigers 5th tackle kick 1%er
50th min -
Averillo try, Flanno first man there celebrating, Burto does the Penriff jump on group thing.
53rd min - 5th tackle kick, Flanno bomb lands 4m from tryline, good height and forces the tigers FB to jump under pressure from a screaming through Averillo.
53rd min - in defence Flanno adjusts well, makes tackle. Commentators say it's his 19th tackle so far.
54th min - Flanno does a 2 man cut out pass to Allan, Allan back inside for Kiraz to score
* Huge team celebration, JAC and Allan make intentional congrats to Flanno for the lead up pass Dogs 24 - 6.
66th min - Burto has ball on 5th tackle, switch play back to Flanno on other side of ruck. Flanno inside ball to a screaming through Averillo, AVO runs 10 to 15m before a chip/grubber that almost comes off for the dogs.
67th min - Schoupp intercept try, Flanno in support 1%er
70th min -
Dogs get a penalty, Flanno can be seen in there organising the next play
71st min - Running switch play that started on the left and went back to the right and passes to a runner. Changing angles, not just 1 out stuff.
75th min - Flanno involved with a half break with Docker-Clay and Max King from dummy half.
77th min - Tigers make a break with Little. Flanno made it back to cover on the inside at FB and help stop the play. Vaughan then gets 10 mins in the bin. 1%er
79th min
- Tamou consolation try - GAME OVER - YEAH DOGGIES 36 - 12.

I gave Flanno's game a 7/10 after watching it again. He played well.

Ok, so in conclusion to me his defence is solid and I don't think anyone can call out that part of his game.

His fitness is really high, he's always there as support runner, helping out guy's when being tackled and doing the 1%er's that you don't see unless watching for it.

So here's the question, he obviously not a massive point scoring/setting up half back but for me all we needed is/was someone to assist Burton and unlock Burto's potential. He does this quite well and one would think will get better. Flanno is on what> 450k by all reports, pretty much min wage for a halfback these days.

If I had my wish we would sign Jahrome Hughes, he's a great HB. Here's the quandary, do you go with the dominant 5/8, have a solid HB that does his job instead of breaking the bank and use that money in other areas?

We have Kikau and Mahoney next year, Burto, JAC, Averillo smashing it at FB, TPJ, RFM all adding to attack. That's not including the young blokes showing good things and Alamoti in the future, Is it an advantage having a solid HB and freeing up space for other area's of the salary cap?

Thank you for getting to this part if you made it. Hope this made sense.

Thoughts?
Time well spent GrogDog or should I call you Flano Snr :laughing:
On a serious note I like what Jnr has done in the past few weeks, back to basics and needed be, importantly can Jnr take his game to the elite level required to win a premiership ?
Yes we've had two great wins but Let's not forget Parra had players backing from SOO and we certainly surprised them, and as for the Tigpies need I say anything ?
The overall assessment of his game didn't say much about him taking on the line, one of if not the most important necessities for a halfback, in time he may fix the problem, might !

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Should have brought my popcorn.... lol.

Good on you for taking the time to do this. I may not be a superstar, but I am doing more things right than wrong lately. The constant, over the top negativity towards me is sad to see. I'm a bulldog for the time being and I'm the best we've currently got, so put down your pitchforks, Negative Nellies. I am nowhere near as bad as you say.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Should have brought my popcorn.... lol.

Good on you for taking the time to do this. I may not be a superstar, but I am doing more things right than wrong lately. The constant, over the top negativity towards me is sad to see. I'm a bulldog for the time being and I'm the best we've currently got, so put down your pitchforks, Negative Nellies. I am nowhere near as bad as you say.
If there's one thing in his game that I love, it's his defense. He will do for now. But just for now lol

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wasn't implying he went from an unknown to a World class player in one half of footy. He went from being a player valued realistically by the kennel (which would still be good money) to one that had to be signed regardless of what damage it did to the cap.

If you pay too much for one player, there is a bit less to be distributed among the rest of your team. The best teams do not over pay for anyone. I have absolutely no doubt the Storm could find a way to keep him if they really wanted to (move somebody else on, perhaps), but they realize the Dolphins are desperate enough for a marquee player to pay way over the odds, and Storm don't want to compromise their future position by joining in a bidding war.

Neither do we!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If there's one thing in his game that I love, it's his defense. He will do for now. But just for now lol
Not saying we should sign him up for a 5 year contract....just wish people would stop hating on the guy.....he's going alright. If he wasn't, the team would not be firing.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wouldn't be racing out to sign Cam Munster on big money, He is 27 - almost 28 - and has been playing at the top level for 8 or 9 years.He is approaching the age when the body starts telling you all this heavy contact is not such a smart idea. Some players start to decline, some start getting injured a lot, and others start pacing themselves, saving their best efforts for the big occasions. According to the grapevine, the Dolphins are trying to tempt him with $1.2M but the Storm have only offered $750,000. He has played all his senior football at the Storm and so you would expect them to know their player better than anyone.

BTW - he seems to have caught everybody's attention because of the great game he played in Origin One. The thing is - he didn't! He played a great second half.
Yup, for every Cam Smith, Terry Lamb, and Steve Menzies, there are about 500 top class players who got to 150+ games and not much further. If he gets a big pay day good on him, but it will be a gamble for any club that offers it, they might get 150 games for their money, or they might barely get 50.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeah Munster is obviously a top player, problem is we need a game controlling half, we saw when Hughes was out for Storm he struggled, I don’t think Burton, Munster would work really as they are both playing similar roles
Burton is a game controlling half.

Malla

Reaction score
It is Flanagan's fault, go back on Kayo and have a look if you have it. Jake wanted the ball the play before and came across from the left and created an overlap on the right yet Flanagan over called him and took the ball left. Jake was then screaming for the ball after that happened and instead of Flanagan getting the ball to him he then decided he wanted to carry the ball into the line for the first time all game when all that was required was a quick pass because the space and numbers already existed.

This is one of the big issues with Flanagan, his combination play with his halves and outside backs is awful. He plays very structured, so much so that we can have an entire set on the line and he handles the ball four times while his halves partners and backs don't touch the ball a single time.
I just watched it back.

1. On the 4th play, Avo ran from left to right behind the ruck but it was too early. There was no overlap.
2. On the last as pictured below, We could argue either case for the last however Kyle was looking to pass and he was expecting Averillo to push up, he didn't and so he held it. He should have still passed either way.

I personally believe that Averillo should have pushed up and hit that hole outside Seyfarth. He scores under the posts as Seyfarth is flat footed. He should have still passed either way, but I think they close the gap as Averillo is standing too deep, Seyfarth would have recovered and they have a couple more in cover defense.

In summary, we are both right.

1655858965232.png