Flanagan's first outing

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Im not writing him off at all, I guess I just thought he would have more impact.
I disagree on Wakeham. I actually thought he showed a lot. The ball went to flanagan every single time in the first half, except for a few occasions, like his grubber for a repeat set.
Then, in the second half he was given the chance to get involved and looked dangerous.
Flanagans clearing kicks were solid, but his close range kicks were tereible, and we constantly went right.
All in all, i didnt take much out of the game. It looked like we played 2 completely different styles of football accross the game, and i dont think we showcased a whole lot of our new attacking structures. Baz seemed to be holding his cards close. I think we will see a lot nore come round 1.
THe first half was just keeping the game plan simple. Get to the end of your sets. Perfect when you haven't been playing a lot and are still getting familiar with each other in a game situation. Second half we were told to throw it around, you saw the energy change. Given during the season we will need to play both styles, it was a good approach.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Decent outing, I thought he defended well, great boots’n’all tackle early on when a Sharks player tried to take advantage of a gap opening up out wide.

One of his kicks was way off but outside of that, he did what he needed to do in a trial without getting injured.

The Sharks pack dominated us early on and TB is not going to be revealing all his cards in attack during a trial game so he was fairly restricted, we just need to be patient with him.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
THe first half was just keeping the game plan simple. Get to the end of your sets. Perfect when you haven't been playing a lot and are still getting familiar with each other in a game situation. Second half we were told to throw it around, you saw the energy change. Given during the season we will need to play both styles, it was a good approach.
Was this actually somethimg you were told directly? Or just an observation like mine?

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Was this actually somethimg you were told directly? Or just an observation like mine?
Just an observation. You could see that was the aim. Getting guys hitting it up getting used to contact. Keeping the play simple. There were options that could have been played to put pressure on, but they chose not to use those and just take the hit up. Second half that went out the window and we mixed it up a lot more. I feel the style we will play will be a mix of the two. More attack in that second half than I saw in the last year.

And having played footy for years, and watched too many games to count. You can tell when your playing a restrictive game plan. I'm an old fart now.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just an observation. You could see that was the aim. Getting guys hitting it up getting used to contact. Keeping the play simple. There were options that could have been played to put pressure on, but they chose not to use those and just take the hit up. Second half that went out the window and we mixed it up a lot more. I feel the style we will play will be a mix of the two. More attack in that second half than I saw in the last year.

And having played footy for years, and watched too many games to count. You can tell when your playing a restrictive game plan. I'm an old fart now.
Yeah thats exactly how i saw it too, and i also think we will play a mix of both styles throughout the season. It was definitely a game of 2 halves.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBH im really excited to watch the boys this year and think we will do well!
Hetherington is a beast, Ogden needs to be in the team.
Waddell showed aggression, Flanagan was solid and will get much better with time.
DWZ is a massive concern, Hoppa needs to get more involved.
Cotric is also a beast Im just still not convinced he is best suited for centre but hopefully he proves me wrong!

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought he was solid hes easing into it give him a break

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have no doubt he will improve. But he was a little off i thought. The ball always went to him, vut he didnt seem to do a lot with it. Even his goal kicking was a bit off.
There has been massive changes accross the team though, so it will no doubt require time for everything to click.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not writing him off at all, I guess I just thought he would have more impact.
I disagree on Wakeham. I actually thought he showed a lot. The ball went to flanagan every single time in the first half, except for a few occasions, like his grubber for a repeat set.
Then, in the second half he was given the chance to get involved and looked dangerous.
Flanagans clearing kicks were solid, but his close range kicks were tereible, and we constantly went right.
All in all, i didnt take much out of the game. It looked like we played 2 completely different styles of football accross the game, and i dont think we showcased a whole lot of our new attacking structures. Baz seemed to be holding his cards close. I think we will see a lot nore come round 1.
Got to agree i liked what Wakrham did yesterday, he kept very busy in D and looked a bit more settled than last season like he knew what was needed from him

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Got to agree i liked what Wakrham did yesterday, he kept very busy in D and looked a bit more settled than last season like he knew what was needed from him
He had some good touches, and was solid in defense.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Wakeham gets too kick happy
No offence to soccer players... but Wakeham should be playing soccer... he runs like a soccer player. He looks like a soccer player...he’s athletic but to small for league...it’s like he doesn’t want the contact just the glory

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
100% he had a role to play and he did that, flanno was the dominate half playing both sides and that wont change with Averillo coming in.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bloke didn't score three tries and set up 5 more so he is obviously shithouse!
Get a grip people, his first game in a new team and it was a trial, give the kid a break.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
The bloke didn't score three tries and set up 5 more so he is obviously shithouse!
Get a grip people, his first game in a new team and it was a trial, give the kid a break.
I think we’re so used to losing we can’t see a good thing when it lands... once flanagan gets a decent 6 beside him... look the fuck out.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We knew flanno was a game controlling half not a runner. Thats why we need avo in the halves. We need avo to compliment flannos game

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We knew flanno was a game controlling half not a runner. Thats why we need avo in the halves. We need avo to compliment flannos game
But at the same time I don't want my halfback touching the ball 70 times and running like 4...he's going to have to add more to his game otherwise he just isn't going to be effective enough, can't just rely on his halves partner or fullback.