Flanagan's first outing

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love all the optimism,we have to remember we are coming back up from a very low base,our attack over the last 3 years,was terrible,it is going to take some time for us to get these combinations to work together,the signs of improvement are there,round 6 onwards we will have a better idea of where we’re at.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought we went to him too much. Would of preferred to use Wakeham’s edge more.

As someone mentioned earlier he’s not the sort of player that’s gonna stand out anyway

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I personally thought that wakeham had better creative touches, with far less chances tbh.
He defenitely did and we probably would've scored another try or two if he got on the ball more. Him and Flanagan just didn't work well enough together for large periods of the game.

TrioBench 1995

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Flanno was fine for first game with us, Averillo / Burton will take more pressure off him.

I noticed flanno straightened attack, then passed it to wakeham and he runs his outside men into touch ‍♂
Probably the best game I seen wakeham play but it was only a trial as for Lewis he tried to hard saying that he had to wait for the second half and looked good in stages and we did win the game with him on the field maybe if people realise it’s early and we do have to combine as a TEAM that includes the supporters , yeah that’s us !

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He defenitely did and we probably would've scored another try or two if he got on the ball more. Him and Flanagan just didn't work well enough together for large periods of the game.
Tbf. Its their first proper hit out together. I dont see why they couldn't work together given some time.

Cronk and Keary took a few rounds to gel. Yes, i know cronk is a future immortal and Keary is a great player.

But you know what i mean. I would want to give them 5-10 rounds

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As he was the only player in our team with a long kicking game, he was the only one they needed to target.
For mine, he is going to have to stand a lot deeper on the last tackle to make the kick a decent one - as Bennett coached Soward to do at the Dragqueens.

As for his general play, it seemed as if he was trying to do what he thought he had to do rather than play eyes up what's in front of you footy.
But that will come with time & once combinations mold over game time with those around him.

But I am confident that - It wont happen over night, but it will happen.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tbf. Its their first proper hit out together. I dont see why they couldn't work together given some time.

Cronk and Keary took a few rounds to gel. Yes, i know cronk is a future immortal and Keary is a great player.

But you know what i mean. I would want to give them 5-10 rounds
Yes early days, just thought it was a little underwhelming and thought the halves would've linked up a bit more. Guess we will see how Jake goes instead in round 1 with Flanagan.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes early days, just thought it was a little underwhelming and thought the halves would've linked up a bit more. Guess we will see how Jake goes instead in round 1 with Flanagan.
See. I prefer wakeham over averillo

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I thought the Sharks pack totally owned us in the first half and while I’m not overly concerned about it yet I hope it’s not a sign of things to come. We struggled to get out of our own end and we couldn’t dominate the ruck at all. The Sharks had some big bodies that stopped our pack in its tracks but that’s going to happen sometimes when we are using a smaller and mobile pack.
I thought our defence was ok but the initial contact was weak.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
New spine, new forwards and a shuffled backline, I thought he went ok. I can see us winning more games than losing this year!

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm not going to put shit on flanno it was his first game with us. But those saying heaps better than what Lewis usually does is taking the piss.
I didn't think any of the halves showed much. Wakeham didn't really put his hand up made a couple of nice round the leg tackles. And Lewis through a couple of loose passes but I think he was trying to impress to much. Was tackling everything that moved in the last couple of sets. Flanno's short kicking game was off and looked a little lost but the combinations will hopefully come.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm not going to put shit on flanno it was his first game with us. But those saying heaps better than what Lewis usually does is taking the piss.
I didn't think any of the halves showed much. Wakeham didn't really put his hand up made a couple of nice round the leg tackles. And Lewis through a couple of loose passes but I think he was trying to impress to much. Was tackling everything that moved in the last couple of sets. Flanno's short kicking game was off and looked a little lost but the combinations will hopefully come.
Lewis ran sideways , didn’t straighten up the attack then threw a hospital pass. He is hopeless.
In contrast under pressure wakeham hit allan beautifully to set up the first try.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started trying to read some of the comments but started getting shitty. Yes some nerves and yes some things to improve on but I think its pretty difficult to judge him when both his DH and 5/8 that he had been training with all pre-season weren't there. Yes it will take time to click with the team but for fucks sake he probably only had a few opposed sessions with Katoa and Wakeham.

He had a few last tackle options that could have been better, but if you compare him to the 'Halfback' that came on to replace him in the second half fark...

Give him at least 4 games with a consistent spine and then we can start judging him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Started trying to read some of the comments but started getting shitty. Yes some nerves and yes some things to improve on but I think its pretty difficult to judge him when both his DH and 5/8 that he had been training with all pre-season weren't there. Yes it will take time to click with the team but for fucks sake he probably only had a few opposed sessions with Katoa and Wakeham.

He had a few last tackle options that could have been better, but if you compare him to the 'Halfback' that came on to replace him in the second half fark...

Give him at least 4 games with a consistent spine and then we can start judging him.
Another thing to consider is we have no idea what Tbaz instructed Flanagan and the side to do last night. They might have just been using the game to get miles in the legs and get used to contact again rather than getting clinical in attack and those instructions could change through out the game too. It’s fools gold reading too much into what happens in a trial.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nah man look at Flanagan for our first try. He knew the play and played short not overplaying his hand as he knew we had the numbers.
Lewis gets that wrong 9/10 times by either a shit short ball which we saw later in the game, or a shit cut out pass to no one.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
You blokes have no idea. He's not a rep halfback but he's a major improvement for us. After our trial I watched the Penrith v Parramatta game and the Charity shield....to compare our side to these teams. While Cleary did exactly the same things Flanagan did, the Penrith forwards ran off Cleary and dummy half with much faster leg speed than we did. Cleary was no better than Flanagans first outing for us. Seriously. The Penrith 5/8 scored their first try himself. Moses did nothing as Parramatta looked tired early. reynolds for Suffs was engaging ...going to the line and linking with his outside backs well who were ALL standing much deeper than we were and had numerous double block plays with bad reads in D by St Merge giving Suffs lots of space.
The takeaway for me is Flanagan was fine, but we must develop far more creative attacking plays and stand deeper and support him in numbers so he can go to the line with options.
For mine Flanagans first outing was fine. Other players need to look at themselves.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You blokes have no idea. He's not a rep halfback but he's a major improvement for us. After our trial I watched the Penrith v Parramatta game and the Charity shield....to compare our side to these teams. While Cleary did exactly the same things Flanagan did, the Penrith forwards ran off Cleary and dummy half with much faster leg speed than we did. Cleary was no better than Flanagans first outing for us. Seriously. The Penrith 5/8 scored their first try himself. Moses did nothing as Parramatta looked tired early. reynolds for Suffs was engaging ...going to the line and linking with his outside backs well who were ALL standing much deeper than we were and had numerous double block plays with bad reads in D by St Merge giving Suffs lots of space.
The takeaway for me is Flanagan was fine, but we must develop far more creative attacking plays and stand deeper and support him in numbers so he can go to the line with options.
For mine Flanagans first outing was fine. Other players need to look at themselves.

When i watched penrith and souths play i was thinking wow we are so so far behind our forwards are so shit compared (penriths go forward was just on another level) Then it hit me that were missing thompson, Napa and Rfm(As shit as napa has been we def cant afford to let him in 2021), I believe we are a hooker away from being a side that can compete for a spot in the 8.