Flanagan's first outing

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How did you all rate it? I thought he struggled to show any dominance, and didnt really shine at all. No doubt he will continue to improve, and im by no means writing him off, but i really expected big things from him given all the hype.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Goal kicking needs a truck load of work. Practice practice........ Rest of his game seemed meh but so did alot of the so-called first graders. The kids looked better to me.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
6/10 at best. If someone wanted to give Flanagan a 4 or 5/10 I wouldn't argue against it. I thought his long range kick placement was quite solid. No brain explosions like Lewis produces which is nice (I think we saw at least 2 from Lewis' short stint). I liked Flanagan's cross field plays with Allan. I think there is definitely enough there to build off. The Sharkies put a nice target on Flanagan's back (ex-teammates, Flanagan looked up to players like Graham), I think he dealt with it overall okay.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s not going to shine in his role even at his best because a lot of his work will go unnoticed. Given it was his first game without the five eighth he trained the majority of the pre season with I’m not taking a lot out of that game. It’s going to take time for everything to gel.

The only concern I’m taking out of it with Flanagan is we need variety in our kicker. Having him do the vast majority of the kicking gives the opposition way too much opportunity to put him under pressure.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Underwhelming tbh.. I could not really say anything positive about his game..

But the forwards didn't help his cause early on..

I'm sure he will settle in and get a lot better..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He’s not going to shine in his role even at his best because a lot of his work will go unnoticed. Given it was his first game without the five eighth he trained the majority of the pre season with I’m not taking a lot out of that game. It’s going to take time for everything to gel.

The only concern I’m taking out of it with Flanagan is we need variety in our kicker. Having him do the vast majority of the kicking gives the opposition way too much opportunity to put him under pressure.
Burton will bring that in spades in 2022. I can't see Averillo doing much more than a few grubbers here and there. I don't think it's that much different than Cleary and Luai at the Panthers (besides skill level).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Average. Thought he had too many useless posessions and sent us side to side too much...looked better when Wakeham got his hands on the ball.

This is potentially going to be an issue with Flanagan playing on the ball with him just handling the ball for the sake of it an exhausting himself...he needs to add more variety to his game, make better decisions and utilitise the other playmakers/runners. Could take time to build chemistry.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
5/10 did what he had to, but didn't have much help. He's an organiser / support player, needs a runner in Averillo or Burton alongside him.
Attack was sideways and slow alot... I can see what Barrett wants to do with the attack making us similar to Penrith, issue is it will take time as we aren't as fast, skilled and clinical

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Burton will bring that in spades in 2022. I can't see Averillo doing much more than a few grubbers here and there. I don't think it's that much different than Cleary and Luai at the Panthers (besides skill level).
Burton doesn’t help this year though. Api has a kicking game that can take pressure off at the Panthers as well. Flanagan was would have taken 90% of the kicks tonight and he is going to have to cope with heavy kick pressure unless someone else takes a few.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah i
Goal kicking needs a truck load of work. Practice practice........ Rest of his game seemed meh but so did alot of the so-called first graders. The kids looked better to me.
Agree. We completely changed once the reserves came through. But i dont think it was due to personel, i think we played 2 completely different halves tactics wise.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
6/10 at best. If someone wanted to give Flanagan a 4 or 5/10 I wouldn't argue against it. I thought his long range kick placement was quite solid. No brain explosions like Lewis produces which is nice (I think we saw at least 2 from Lewis' short stint). I liked Flanagan's cross field plays with Allan. I think there is definitely enough there to build off. The Sharkies put a nice target on Flanagan's back (ex-teammates, Flanagan looked up to players like Graham), I think he dealt with it overall okay.
Yeah, for sure. He wad massively targetted, but still didnt have any real imoact either, considering all the playmaking was left to him. Very different story in the second half though.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Average. Thought he had too many useless posessions and sent us side to side too much...looked better when Wakeham got his hands on the ball.

This is potentially going to be an issue with Flanagan playing on the ball with him just handling the ball for the sake of it an exhausting himself...he needs to add more variety to his game, make better decisions and utilitise the other playmakers/runners. Could take time to build chemistry.
I personally thought that wakeham had better creative touches, with far less chances tbh.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what we need to keep in mind is that Kyle would be one of the lowest paid starting half backs in the NRL. Baz has bought him on potential.

I am not criticising his performance tonight nor am I am praising it. The fact that I didn’t see the game would make that somewhat hypocritical....

I just think it’s important to keep his wage in mind when judging him. Especially when most starting halfbacks are on $700k plus

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Id give him a 6.5/10, We might have seen more if waddell didnt drop it twice in the opposition 20 early in the count.

He is a controlling half his job will be to get the ball to allan at the right time and do all the kicking.