News Flanagan wants to bring success to Belmore

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kyle Flanagan is a new face to Belmore having signed a three-year deal with the club from the Sydney Roosters until the end of 2023.

His arrival, along with a number of key recruits as well as a new-look coaching staff is a new beginning at Canterbury, with improvement on everyone’s radar.

Joining The Jimmy Smith Show on 1170SEN today, the halfback spoke about the pre-season and looked ahead to season 2021.

“We want to improve. We want to make the top eight, that’s our goal this year. We don’t want to pump ourselves up too much, but we’re pretty excited about our trial this weekend,” said Flanagan.

Having a former half at the helm of the Bulldogs, the 22-year old was glowing in his praise of Barrett when asked to describe the Head Coach.

“Confident in his players. I feel like the boys believe him and all the boys respect him. My relationship with him so far has been really good. I love going to training every day and seeing his face, he’s always upbeat, it’s exciting,” he added.

After a season at the Roosters and two with the Sharks, the son of premiership winning coach Shane Flanagan is ready to take his game to another level in the blue and white.

“Obviously I have only played 30 first grade games, but I really want to take my game to the next level. Be a bigger factor in games and being a halfback you need to be a dominant player. I can’t wait for that opportunity at the Bulldogs. That’s all I want to do, is bring success to the Bulldogs and keep improving on my own path,” Flanagan said.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed.
He speaks well too which is good.
Also good that he will be playing in the middle and not pinned on one side.
We haven’t had a genuine game managing halfback since Hodko so I’m pretty keen to see what he can do. I’m not expecting that many spectacular plays from him but if he can get us around the park it will be a massive step forward.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We haven’t had a genuine game managing halfback since Hodko so I’m pretty keen to see what he can do. I’m not expecting that many spectacular plays from him but if he can get us around the park it will be a massive step forward.
That’s all we need from him and a solid kicking game. I don’t even know how his kicking game is. Hoping he can reasonably defend also

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good to hear, how’s his overall defence from what you’ve witnessed
He has average defence. He won’t stop anyone in their tracks but he’s not on Mitch Moses levels of getting steam rolled. He gets his body in front and that’s all you can really ask of a half.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Good to hear, how’s his overall defence from what you’ve witnessed
In regards to his defence lets ignore opinions and looks at the facts, "According to Champion Data, no other half who has played 10 games or more this season has been targeted as regularly as the 22-year-old Flanagan, who has had to make an average of 25.5 tackles a game. It clearly outweighs the defensive work Luke Keary (16.6 tackles a game) has had to shoulder this year and surpasses the amount of tackling Cronk (18.4) had to do during his final season in 2019. But in news that will no doubt please coach Trent Robinson as he tries to find a fix to the club's leaky defence, Flanagan ranks third in tackle efficiency among all halves at 91.5 per cent, behind only Parramatta's Dylan Brown (93.9 per cent) and Newcastle's Kurt Mann (92.6 per cent)."

Go Dogs

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
The whole club’s behind Flanno. Can’t expect miracles straight away though. So good to have a game managing half. It’s what we’ve needed for years. He has something to prove too and that’s what excites me the most.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really impressed with his answer about the Roosters stuff! I'm glad he's moved on and focusing on the Dogs.
Yeah it was time to show some maturity and move on from whatever happen in the east.
Life is all about swings & roundabouts
He is at the perfect age to really step up and take ownership of this team,make a real name for himself as a standout half back

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I want him to STFU and just show us he is the guy. I think he can but he doesn’t need any added pressure, just get in and own it.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want him to STFU and just show us he is the guy. I think he can but he doesn’t need any added pressure, just get in and own it.
He has the perfect mentor in TB
With a good attitude and some decent players around him just who knows
I watched him play throughout his junior years,was in a very good team and always backed himself amongst some decent competition