News Flanagan opens up on Potter’s influence at Bulldogs as coaching call looms

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like I said elsewhere If Jr wants a extension, I'm all for it provided he earns it.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Isn’t it the general consensus around here that Anasta was a dud ? How did we win a premiership with him then ? We don’t need to gun halves, Flannos here to stay , imho I don’t see us losing another game for a looong time
i wouldn’t say Anasta was a dud
He played origin and for Australia

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't like facts? We lose Burton and the reality is we have no kicking game and no threat in the halves and Flanagan gets absolutely slaughtered. He needs to offer more.
Both the attacking kicks and the clearing kicks. He kicked one last week that went 60-70m on the fly. We were struggling to make any meters on that set and then boom. Fuck that boot is going to win us so many games (even more than Sherwin did)

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Confidence is a beautiful thing.
Amazing how many have blossomed since coach has moved on.
I’ll be happy for Kyle to extend and also Potter to stay.
Proof is in the style of footy.
It’s been a decade since we could entertain 2012 precise
And 2012 was good 1 because we had good players and 2 Des was new and it took him time to destroy us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Credit to Flanagan for playing better. He always gives his all.. He's got the right attitude and says the right things..

But if we're serious about being a finals and eventually a top 4 team, then we need someone better. Flanagan kills momentum on 4th tackle more than Tolman did. He has no running or passing game. He rarely kicks.. His defence and effort are great but they don't make up for his limitations in attack.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Isn’t it the general consensus around here that Anasta was a dud ? How did we win a premiership with him then ? We don’t need to gun halves, Flannos here to stay , imho I don’t see us losing another game for a looong time
He wasn't really a dud until he left us. Sucked in roosters.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Kyle Flanagan has opened up on how Mick Potter has turned the club around following the sacking of Trent Barrett, and thrown his support behind the interim boss to take over fulltime next year, despite the continued push for Cameron Ciraldo.

Reports have linked Ciraldo with a move to the Bulldogs in recent times, however, the Belmore-based outfit have turned a horrid start to the season around under Potter.

Playing an attacking brand of football, Canterbury have managed to win four of their last six games, scoring 24 or more points in five of those.

Potter originally had no interest in remaining in a coaching role in 2023, but recently changed his tune, and Flanagan said he would be great for the club.

"I'm not too sure if he [Potter] wants to get involved or stay involved," Flanagan said.

"I can't give any more credit to what Pottsy has done for me individually or this footy team.

"He is such a calm head and simplifies things so much for us. He just backs up and gives us confidence to go out there and play footy, and we do exactly that.

"We are repaying the faith he puts in us."

Opening up on Potter's involvement as head coach, Flanagan said that for both him individually, and for the club as a whole, Potter has played a huge role in freeing up their attack and instilling confidence into the outfit.

"I want to give credit to him [Potter], Craig Sandercock and Dave Furner," Flanagan said.

"And obviously give credit to the team that we have turned things around. We are out there putting the wins on the board, the shackles are off and we are just playing what we see.

"It's really exciting to be playing in this footy team and for myself, I'm just really enjoying my own footy and starting to love playing every weekend."

Flanagan added that the game plan being simplified was the most important part of what Potter had brought to the club, with the Bulldogs moving away from a previous structure that they had been coached into by Trent Barrett.

Barrett exited the club just over two months into the 2022 campaign after continued poor form despite an off-season signing spree.

"I think at times last year people thought we were quite a structured team, but it wasn't. That's just the way we were being coached at the time," Flanagan said.

"Now we are out there being footy players and everyone is doing their job.

"That's what is super exciting about the last couple of weeks or month that we have been building and we are looking to take that into the next five weeks."

The run of form has allowed the Bulldogs to move to 6 wins from 19 games, and escape the bottom four for the time being, sitting ahead of the New Zealand Warriors, Newcastle Knights, Wests Tigersand Gold Coast Titans on the ladder
While it's a great positive I believe there is a long way before we become a force to be reckoned with...Keep up the good work boys !!!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how next year goes. Unless a top tier half becomes available I'm happy to persist with Flanagan for this reason.
We have Reed coming, I feel he will be given more responsibility to control our sets from play 1-3. Playing with someone who wants the ball as much as Moses i think lessens reeds role at Parramatta. With us he will have more of a chance in attack which I think could work with with a half like Flanagan.
Reminds me of how Ennis game went to another level at cronulla, he's half was Townsend and then they had maloney there for creative/x-factor. We already have Burton for that, different type of player but things seems to happen around him.
The balance of Reed, Flanagan, Burton might work really well, it might not but I'm interested to see. They are all relatively young guys also so it would be nice if we could have a stable spine to build around.
I will be interested to see what plans Gus has got for the halfback going forward, but since there are no halfbacks of any significant talent available for 2023 why not give Flanagan a chance to keep on improving, if that continues he deserves to go around with us next season !

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Anasta was a very good player. Played Origin & for Australia. People only hate him because he left us for the Roosters after we lost Thurston for him.

trent_solotar7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sign @Flanagun long term. I can't bear another situation like the Thurston fiasco and have to sit there and watch him lead an opposition team to glory.

Furthermore, it's quite obvious Flanno should be the Blues half and captain of our state team but because of politics and favouritism, Cleary is being picked.
“LOL.”

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sign @Flanagun long term. I can't bear another situation like the Thurston fiasco and have to sit there and watch him lead an opposition team to glory.

Furthermore, it's quite obvious Flanno should be the Blues half and captain of our state team but because of politics and favouritism, Cleary is being picked.
Yes it's the biggest injustice since Choc was complaining he wasn't the NSW and Australian 5/8......They went with Freddie and Daley instead. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: