News Flanagan opens up on Potter’s influence at Bulldogs as coaching call looms

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Kyle Flanagan has opened up on how Mick Potter has turned the club around following the sacking of Trent Barrett, and thrown his support behind the interim boss to take over fulltime next year, despite the continued push for Cameron Ciraldo.

Reports have linked Ciraldo with a move to the Bulldogs in recent times, however, the Belmore-based outfit have turned a horrid start to the season around under Potter.

Playing an attacking brand of football, Canterbury have managed to win four of their last six games, scoring 24 or more points in five of those.

Potter originally had no interest in remaining in a coaching role in 2023, but recently changed his tune, and Flanagan said he would be great for the club.

"I'm not too sure if he [Potter] wants to get involved or stay involved," Flanagan said.

"I can't give any more credit to what Pottsy has done for me individually or this footy team.

"He is such a calm head and simplifies things so much for us. He just backs up and gives us confidence to go out there and play footy, and we do exactly that.

"We are repaying the faith he puts in us."

Opening up on Potter's involvement as head coach, Flanagan said that for both him individually, and for the club as a whole, Potter has played a huge role in freeing up their attack and instilling confidence into the outfit.

"I want to give credit to him [Potter], Craig Sandercock and Dave Furner," Flanagan said.

"And obviously give credit to the team that we have turned things around. We are out there putting the wins on the board, the shackles are off and we are just playing what we see.

"It's really exciting to be playing in this footy team and for myself, I'm just really enjoying my own footy and starting to love playing every weekend."

Flanagan added that the game plan being simplified was the most important part of what Potter had brought to the club, with the Bulldogs moving away from a previous structure that they had been coached into by Trent Barrett.

Barrett exited the club just over two months into the 2022 campaign after continued poor form despite an off-season signing spree.

"I think at times last year people thought we were quite a structured team, but it wasn't. That's just the way we were being coached at the time," Flanagan said.

"Now we are out there being footy players and everyone is doing their job.

"That's what is super exciting about the last couple of weeks or month that we have been building and we are looking to take that into the next five weeks."

The run of form has allowed the Bulldogs to move to 6 wins from 19 games, and escape the bottom four for the time being, sitting ahead of the New Zealand Warriors, Newcastle Knights, Wests Tigersand Gold Coast Titans on the ladder

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Confidence is a beautiful thing.
Amazing how many have blossomed since coach has moved on.
I’ll be happy for Kyle to extend and also Potter to stay.
Proof is in the style of footy.
It’s been a decade since we could entertain 2012 precise

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No way…

B-Town Lad

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Unfortunately he hasn’t yet managed to improve your game Kyle but that said it is a titanic ask.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm happy to re-sign Flanagan as I worry if we did let him go, we may not have a suitable replacement or depth in that position.

It's not like we have a plethora of better half backs to choose from within our squad or on the market.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No need to extend as yet... Yes confidence is a beautiful thing and you can see it in his footy last week. More runs on the ball, getting to the right spots more often and his defence has been where it needs to be. Though his kicking is still awful and his game management is too subdue for a HB who doesnt kick.

If he can really start threatening the line with his runs and his kicking game improves to the point were he is doing 50% of the kicking then he might be worth a look in because apart from passing and D he is still behind the 8 ball in my opinion.

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don’t mind if he extends only if we see more of him setting up tries without Burton because at the moment I’m not sure if it’s likely score tries like how we are currently without Burton hand in the play

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Kyle Flanagan has opened up on how Mick Potter has turned the club around following the sacking of Trent Barrett, and thrown his support behind the interim boss to take over fulltime next year, despite the continued push for Cameron Ciraldo.

Reports have linked Ciraldo with a move to the Bulldogs in recent times, however, the Belmore-based outfit have turned a horrid start to the season around under Potter.

Playing an attacking brand of football, Canterbury have managed to win four of their last six games, scoring 24 or more points in five of those.

Potter originally had no interest in remaining in a coaching role in 2023, but recently changed his tune, and Flanagan said he would be great for the club.

"I'm not too sure if he [Potter] wants to get involved or stay involved," Flanagan said.

"I can't give any more credit to what Pottsy has done for me individually or this footy team.

"He is such a calm head and simplifies things so much for us. He just backs up and gives us confidence to go out there and play footy, and we do exactly that.

Opening up on Potter's involvement as head coach, Flanagan said that for both him individually, and for the club as a whole, Potter has played a huge role in freeing up their attack and instilling confidence into the outfit.

"I want to give credit to him [Potter], Craig Sandercock and Dave Furner," Flanagan said.

"And obviously give credit to the team that we have turned things around. We are out there putting the wins on the board, the shackles are off and we are just playing what we see.

"It's really exciting to be playing in this footy team and for myself, I'm just really enjoying my own footy and starting to love playing every weekend."

Flanagan added that the game plan being simplified was the most important part of what Potter had brought to the club, with the Bulldogs moving away from a previous structure that they had been coached into by Trent Barrett.

Barrett exited the club just over two months into the 2022 campaign after continued poor form despite an off-season signing spree.

"I think at times last year people thought we were quite a structured team, but it wasn't. That's just the way we were being coached at the time," Flanagan said.

"That's what is super exciting about the last couple of weeks or month that we have been building and we are looking to take that into the next five weeks."

The run of form has allowed the Bulldogs to move to 6 wins from 19 games, and escape the bottom four for the time being, sitting ahead of the New Zealand Warriors, Newcastle Knights, Wests Tigersand Gold Coast Titans on the ladder
I'll stand by a comment I made a few weeks ago, Kyle will be a top 5 HB and even though he copped a lot of flack he has improved and he'll keep improving.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanno tries hard but has shown little over the last 3 years at roosters and dogs to convince anyone he is worthy of a contract extension. Put him in the same category as cashconverter Lewis - defence A, kicking game F-, game management F-, creativity F-, running game F-. Will never win a premiership with him in the 7 jersey.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I assume Kyle is now buying potter the coffees?
WTF? Flanno was making doppios for Trent - now he's making FW's with 3 sugars for Potts. Dude is one of the best baristas in the game.

If only his running, organisation, leadership, kicking and defence were the same. Sigh....

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how next year goes. Unless a top tier half becomes available I'm happy to persist with Flanagan for this reason.
We have Reed coming, I feel he will be given more responsibility to control our sets from play 1-3. Playing with someone who wants the ball as much as Moses i think lessens reeds role at Parramatta. With us he will have more of a chance in attack which I think could work with with a half like Flanagan.
Reminds me of how Ennis game went to another level at cronulla, he's half was Townsend and then they had maloney there for creative/x-factor. We already have Burton for that, different type of player but things seems to happen around him.
The balance of Reed, Flanagan, Burton might work really well, it might not but I'm interested to see. They are all relatively young guys also so it would be nice if we could have a stable spine to build around.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been 42 years since the "real" entertainers.

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Im not falling for it!
The guys been trash ever since he started @ the Roosters,& I still don't understand why Wakes hasn't been given a go under Harry?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Barrett was sacked? When did this happen?