News Flanagan offered to Super League clubs

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Lol no way . A coach wants to get his players to rise up, just been dropped and then by all accords told this is your team lead the way .. as if it’s amateur . You want a coach to back you 100 percent, he gave him the keys and unfortunately he didn’t live up to it and now he’s sulking. So I back baz he did at the time get the halfback on the market for a good price but that individual obviously didn’t live up and own the demons of being dropped and to make matters worse the guy who took his place is now in contention for a Qld call up. So prove me otherwise cause we let him go and were stuck with waleham
Or someone else who didn’t play well then it’d be the same typical kennel shit “ why didn’t we just sign Flanagan at the time” bla bla bla
Name me one well regarded coach who you think would sign a player who has just been released a year into his contract and heap undue pressure on him by comparing him to the best half in the game? Just one. You can't. Top coaches don't operate that way. Expressing belief in a young player is one thing....comparing him to arguably the best player in the game before he has done anything to warrant that comparison is another. It's usually the media who goes in for that sort oif nonsense. Good coiaches try to express belief in young players, while also keeping them grounded. I hope Barrett learns from his handling of Flanagan, because he made a mess of it.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He clearly has areas of his game he needs to work on, but the club needs to ask some questions too....why did Barrett look to him to provide answers if he wasn't the right option? Why did Barrett draw comparisons between Kyle and nathan Cleary and then make himself and kyle look foolish by having to drop him? Why did Trent openly tell media he still believed in Kyle and publicly back him to do the job for us when he never intended on playing him? He isn't really the solution for us, but Trent's handling of him has been terrible.
You have put far too much weight into Barrett's comments..

If you want to criticize Barrett for something it should be signing Flanagan..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You look at what he said in a negative context due to the outcome of Flanagan's ability..

What Barrett said could also be taken in a positive outlook if Flanagan came out and performed well.. I.e the coach has shown belief in him and lifted him and given him self belief.. how about Flanagan taking some ownership of the shit he served up....

When you go through life without ever receiving hand outs you will have a different outlook on things.. no silver spoons in my house..
WTF are you talking about? What have handouts got to do with anything?

Flanagan didn't sell himself to the club, the club broiught into him because Trent thought he was more ready than he was. Flanagan fronted a media conference after being hooked at half time in front of his Dad. He still sits on the sideline taking notes. He is taking ownership as far as I can see.

Nobody is asking for Flanagan to receive handouts. Just for the club to handle young talent more professionally. Can you honestly imagine Bellamy coming out and mentioning a young talent in the same sentence as Nathan Cleary, regardless of the player's ability? Or naming a player who is down on confidence, publicly backing him to do the job and then not playing him? The top coaches would never do anything like that.

This has nothing to do with silver spoons or handouts. It's about professional and responsible player management.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You have put far too much weight into Barrett's comments..

If you want to criticize Barrett for something it should be signing Flanagan..
No I haven't... he put a ridiculous amount of pressure on a player who just got released from another club. I think signing him was a mistake too...but once the decision was made tyo sign him, he should have been managed better. I really don't get how people can defend barrett over some of the huge mistakes he has made in managing a young talent whose game still needs so much development.

• Haha
Reactions: GDR

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
WTF are you talking about? What have handouts got to do with anything. Flanagan didn't sell himself to the club, the club broiught into him because Trent thought he was more ready than he was. Flanagan fronted a media conference after being hooked at half time in front of his Dad. He still sits on the sideline taking notes. He is taking ownership as far as I can see. Nobody is asking for Flanagan to receive handouts. Just for the club to handle young talent more professional. Can you honestly imagine Bellamy coming out and mentioning a young talent in the same sentence as nathan Cleary, regardless of the player's ability? Or naming a player who is down on confidence, publicly backing him to do the job and then not playing him? The top coaches would never do anything. This has nothing to do with silver spoons or handouts. It's about professional and responsible player management.
Like I said... far too much weight on a Barrett press conference.. also you are probably adding in some journalist innuendo into your argument.. Id like to know exactly what was said, as opposed to what was narrated..

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see any games of Mounties but the game I went to was the second Dragons vs Bulldogs game. Kyle didn't really do anything to own the game as an organising half. I felt he should of and prove he doesn't belong there. Lewis outshone him. And I observed from other's here that Lewis was always way ahead of him in that grade. The only thing I can elude to why Kyle was recalled to the top grade then suddenly dropped for Lachlan, was the latter perhaps showed way more at training and felt he belonged in first grade.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why just super league, surely someone in the NRL might be silly enough to think they can make it work, give Ricky Stuart a call.

And people are seriously saying to re-sign Lewis. You haven't learnt from Lichaa and others in their contract year. He had one decent game and cost us the second one but he's a hero becuase he tackled Walker from behind. He would stifle Burtons' game big time trying to do all the kicking. He's another one that should head over the super league.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Like I said... far too much weight on a Barrett press conference.. also you are probably adding in some journalist innuendo into your argument.. Id like to know exactly what was said, as opposed to what was narrated..
It doesn't matter exactly what was said....as soon as he mentioned Flanagan in the same sentence as Nathan Cleary, he set the kid up to fail and set himself up to look a colossal fool. All the passive aggressive laugh reacts in the world won't change that basic truth, my friend. The best coaches keep yuoung talent grounded and let their footy do the talking. Trent will hopefully learn from this and do a better job of managing players in the future. All young players feel pressure, some handle it better than others....but coaches shouldn't be adding to it by drawing even the loosest comparisons to the game's elite players....leave that sort of rubbish for the media.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see any games of Mounties but the game I went to was the second Dragons vs Bulldogs game. Kyle didn't really do anything to own the game as an organising half. I felt he should of and prove he doesn't belong there. Lewis outshone him. And I observed from other's here that Lewis was always way ahead of him in that grade. The only thing I can elude to why Kyle was recalled to the top grade then suddenly dropped for Lachlan, was the latter perhaps showed way more at training.
Flanagan was ordinary in both NSW cup games i watched - pretty much outplayed by part time players - ran/ jogged across field a lot, mediocre kicking - tackled ok

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I hope Shane is doing the commentary for us and Roosters this weekend, you can always hear how salty he is and always targets the halves. Last week he was blaming Walker's goal kicking :tearsofjoy:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter exactly what was said....as soon as he mentioned Flanagan in the same sentence as Nathan Cleary, he set the kid up to fail and set himself up to look a colossal fool. All the passive aggressive laugh reacts in the world won't change that basic truth, my friend. The best coaches keep yuoung talent grounded and let their footy do the talking. Trent will hopefully learn from this and do a better job of managing players in the future. All young players feel pressure, some handle it better than others....but coaches shouldn't be adding to it by drawing even the loosest comparisons to the game's elite players....leave that sort of rubbish for the media.
I think at this point it's clear that we will never even remotely agree on this one..

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we swap him with Leeds for Sezer please ?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One factor to consider is that he seems really close to his Dad and his family so he might not want to move to the other side of the world and be away from them, especially when he's relatively young.
Or....on the other hand it might be the making of him as a man and possibly player too.
Wish I had of gone to the UK as a young bloke, to be able to do so and make very decent coin in the process, there far worse things to do for a few years of your life imo.Meet a woman over there too etc etc and being far away from the intense spotlight.
Obviously good for us and him too if it happened.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not getting my hopes up, just hope there is a coach as dumb as Baz over there that wants the fraud daddy's boy.
So u agree assassin that Barrett was so stupid signing flanagan for 3 years ? Such a waste of cap space and now we have to find a way to get it rid off him...why fukin 3 years? Shoukd hav e at worst offered him 1 year with an option in the club's favour...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A number of Super League clubs are thought to be considering a move for Kyle Flanagan after the NRL halfback was made available.

Rugby League Live can reveal the halfback has been made available to several clubs in the competition as he looks to get his career back on track.

The 22-year-old has suffered a tumultuous period of his career, struggling to make a struggling Canterbury Bulldogs side slumped at the bottom of the NRL.

Once regarded as one of the world's brightest prospects, Canterbury are now willing to cut ties with the playmaker, and pay a significant portion of his wage to accommodate a move to Super League.

That has left several clubs considering whether to make a move for the youngster, who joined Canterbury after just one year with Sydney Roosters, who did not offer him a new deal.

Flanagan played the opening nine games of the current campaign but was hooked by coach Trent Barrett during a defeat to St George. He was subsequently dropped for the next six games before being recalled, but was soon dropped again.

With his NRL career struggling, a move to Super League could be used to rebuild his career.

A number of clubs are on the lookout for halfbacks, including Castleford Tigers, Salford Red Devils and Wigan Warriors. Catalans Dragons could be another potential suitor, with both James Maloney and Josh Drinkwater off-contract.

Flanagan would have no issue obtaining a visa given his regular appearances in the NRL.

Despite his young age he has made 40 NRL appearances to date.

Make it fucking happen!!!! Sweeten the deal with Allen.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a half who is a right foot kicker in general play. Burton and Lewis I'm not sure is a good balance. Still not convinced Averillo is the answer but is still a bit raw. Give him time.

Maloney could be the one to steer the side around and let Burton be a running half. Maloney's experience would be priceless for one year and then sign him as our halves coach and mentor.