News Flanagan offered to Super League clubs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That would be ideal. Burton apprenticeship under Maloney as Cleary did, Averillo slots into that centre position.
I know that Maloney is coming back after this super league season to retire despite a year left to go at Catalans. Bit of cash might twist his arm…
Maloney is almost 36 I think his time in the NRL has passed..

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Four seasons wasn't enough of an opportunity for Lewis? He's not good enough at this level plain and simple.
Lewis didn't have a good 6 around him. His got burton and duffty to help. Im all in for him. Averillo is not a half back. He will be in the centres.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Kyle. There's no doubt he's not our answer at 7...and he's not ready for the task of steering an NRL side....but the way Barrett has treated him has been terrible. As a fan of the club, I find it embarrassing. Maybe super league would be the best option to help him regain some confidence.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel sorry for Kyle. There's no doubt he's not our answer at 7...and he's not ready for the task of steering an NRL side....but the way Barrett has treated him has been terrible. As a fan of the club, I find it embarrassing. Maybe super league would be the best option to help him regain some confidence.
Mate if it was lewis who was “treated” like he was, first of all he wouldn’t cry like a bitch that he got dropped, second of all no one would even care

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What do you mean, "the way Barrett has treated him"?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wtf are people on about!! How has Flanagan been treated terribly? Because he's been dropped ?? News flash... He was shit and needed to be dropped.. I never realized that coaches weren't allowed to drop players anymore..

Tbh I thought Barrett gave him more the enough chances considering how pedestrian he was....

We can't afford to carry his contract on our cap considering how fragile he is..

***** need to realize that we ain't st Vinnie's anymore..

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's a bit of a weird one for me with Flanagan. On the surface, I agree he hasn't been managed very well at all. He gets talked up all off season as being the focal point of our attack, we make the kid front up to the media to talk about him being dropped when it first happened, we then name him in the side a few weeks back and Barrett talks about the faith he still has in him only for him to be dropped from the squad at the 11th hour for Lewis.

Now the big unknown/variable here is his attitude which could explain a lot of the above. But if it isn't attitude related then he deserves another crack in 2022 with much better weapons in the backline and an improved forward pack. Not saying he hasn't been really poor, because he has but there are just no other obvious halfback options we have at the moment that are putting their hands up to be picked week in week out.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where got Stimson there with 1 to go and his done nothing

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Flanagan has to sit back and think where did it all go wrong...
We have to ask the question
Why didn't the Sharks try harder to keep him or the Rorters offload him and now the Bulldogs are about to ?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What do you mean, "the way Barrett has treated him"?
Signed him, placed too much expectation on him (he should have signed an established and experienced half like Benji), talked him up to the moon saying he could be the next cleary (talk about ways to unnecessarily pressure a kid who is down on confidence.) Hooked him and dropped him (fair enough, he wasn't really performing, but nor was Avo, to be honest) brought him back for one game (in which we got trounced and the whole team was to blame....especially the players who let the club down by breaching the bubble and making themselves unavailable.) Named him the next week as a media diversion. never intended to play him. The kid was already way down on himself, the last thing he needed was the unnecessary extra media scrutiny.

It's the pressure Barrett put on him and the way he treated him like a media pawn that bother me the most. Amateur hour stuff and very embarrassing as far as I'm concerned.

I find it sad to see people talking so much shit about Kyle....he may not have the makings of an elite half, but he tries his arse off, he hasn't been treated well here and it's not his fault that Barrett looked to him for solutions he was not really ready to provide.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Apparently we need to provide refrigeration for snow flakes these days..
No, we just need to treat our young talenyt responsibly and not put undue pressure on them by talking them up to the moon and placing them under unnesecary media scrutiny. It's really pretty damn simple. Trent has treated him poorly. And no evidence at all to suggest he's a "snowflake". I think you're the one who is being cold.

• Haha
Reactions: GDR

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, he might mature mentally and come good. Then try his luck again in the NRL.
We know he has potential but confidence is psychological everyone who is down on confidence won’t play freely and I stand by that. He didn’t get signed by the roosters for no reason .

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Works well for both, but we will benefit mostly .!!!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It's a bit of a weird one for me with Flanagan. On the surface, I agree he hasn't been managed very well at all. He gets talked up all off season as being the focal point of our attack, we make the kid front up to the media to talk about him being dropped when it first happened, we then name him in the side a few weeks back and Barrett talks about the faith he still has in him only for him to be dropped from the squad at the 11th hour for Lewis.

Now the big unknown/variable here is his attitude which could explain a lot of the above. But if it isn't attitude related then he deserves another crack in 2022 with much better weapons in the backline and an improved forward pack. Not saying he hasn't been really poor, because he has but there are just no other obvious halfback options we have at the moment that are putting their hands up to be picked week in week out.
Exactly...it's good tyo see someone on here understands my basic point. He could have an attitude problem.....but without having access to the club's inner sanctum, we can't know that....we certainly can't just assume it to explain the way he has been mismanaged. And the reality is, the mismanagement started before he had even completed his first training session with us.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like Gould is prioritising a half back as our next signing. Would be good to get Maloney. Not sure who else is out there?
I feel the same about Gus prioritising a half back. He definitely has his eye across the league probably more than most. I hope he has someone in his sights that would be the right fit for Burton.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Signed him, placed too much expectation on him (he should have signed an established and experienced half like Benji), talked him up to the moon saying he could be the next cleary (talk about ways to unnecessarily pressure a kid who is down on confidence.) Hooked him and dropped him (fair enough, he wasn't really performing, but nor was Avo, to be honest) brought him back for one game (in which we got trounced and the whole team was to blame....especially the players who let the club down by breaching the bubble and making themselves unavailable.) Named him the next week as a media diversion. never intended to play him. The kid was already way down on himself, the last thing he needed was the unnecessary extra media scrutiny.

It's the pressure Barrett put on him and the way he treated him like a media pawn that bother me the most. Amateur hour stuff and very embarrassing as far as I'm concerned.

I find it sad to see people talking so much shit about Kyle....he may not have the makings of an elite half, but he tries his arse off, he hasn't been treated well here and it's not his fault that Barrett looked to him for solutions he was not really ready to provide.
Lol no way . A coach wants to get his players to rise up, just been dropped and then by all accords told this is your team lead the way .. as if it’s amateur . You want a coach to back you 100 percent, he gave him the keys and unfortunately he didn’t live up to it and now he’s sulking. So I back baz he did at the time get the halfback on the market for a good price but that individual obviously didn’t live up and own the demons of being dropped and to make matters worse the guy who took his place is now in contention for a Qld call up. So prove me otherwise cause we let him go and were stuck with waleham
Or someone else who didn’t play well then it’d be the same typical kennel shit “ why didn’t we just sign Flanagan at the time” bla bla bla

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, we just need to treat our young talenyt responsibly and not put undue pressure on them by talking them up to the moon and placing them under unnesecary media scrutiny. It's really pretty damn simple. Trent has treated him poorly. And no evidence at all to suggest he's a "snowflake". I think you're the one who is being cold.
You look at what he said in a negative context due to the outcome of Flanagan's ability..

What Barrett said could also be taken in a positive outlook if Flanagan came out and performed well.. I.e the coach has shown belief in him and lifted him and given him self belief.. how about Flanagan taking some ownership of the shit he served up....

When you go through life without ever receiving hand outs you will have a different outlook on things.. no silver spoons in my house..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Flanagan has to sit back and think where did it all go wrong...
We have to ask the question
Why didn't the Sharks try harder to keep him or the Rorters offload him and now the Bulldogs are about to ?
He clearly has areas of his game he needs to work on, but the club needs to ask some questions too....why did Barrett look to him to provide answers if he wasn't the right option? Why did Barrett draw comparisons between Kyle and nathan Cleary and then make himself and kyle look foolish by having to drop him? Why did Trent openly tell media he still believed in Kyle and publicly back him to do the job for us when he never intended on playing him? He isn't really the solution for us, but Trent's handling of him has been terrible.