News Flanagan offered to Super League clubs

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's unfortunate but I believe it's the best thing for us to do. He just isn't FG standard. He's a slightly more talented Brodie Croft with a famous (stretching that word to the absolute max here) surname. He plays way too rigid/ structured - not just for 'this era' of the NRL - he wouldn't have worked a decade ago. He plays like he's hunting to be the one to make the play inside 20, not let his strike players around him shine. His long kicking game is bog average, he's OK defensively, and what looks like from this season, can't handle being dropped to reggies. I know it's easy for us to say being armchair experts, but he's gone through 3 different clubs in as many years and still can't quite put it together. The fact Robbo gave up on him says all you need to say about if he's worth the investment. Add in his father looming around every decision or play, helicopter coaching and now with a media role in Fox Sports sniping away from his ivory tower, he's better off at another club or in Super League for all I care.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we pay a portion of his salary does that come out of our cap being a super league team he is going to or does it come out of pokies revenue?

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is all Barrett’s fault...he desperately signed him...instead of being patient he rushed to sign him and even compared him to Nathan Cleary....seriously now he wants to get rid off him and we have to pay half of his freight....Barrett said he has to nail recruitment,,,Waddell and Flanagan?
No coach gets every recruitment right. Robinson got it wrong with Flanno and got rid of him. There are hundreds of examples like this.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I remember a young Blake Green. Had so much promise as a kid but failed miserably at a few clubs. Went to Super League, played his ass off and came back to the Nrl, a top quality player.

That's what i wish for Flanagan. Go overseas away from limelight, plays well and gains considerable experience. Then comes back in a few years ready to lead a team around.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we pay a portion of his salary does that come out of our cap being a super league team he is going to or does it come out of pokies revenue?
I thought if he leaves NRL then we don’t pay anything under the cap seeing as nrl doesn’t run or register ESL contracts.

Godsend if he leaves. But if Lewis gets an extension I’d rather he stays. If he bulks up a little, all he really has to do is defence and pass, and maybe occasionally run. Where as Lewis is a reserve grader out and out who can fill in when needed. If he runs out in the 7 jersey he should be charged with fraud.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What's the opinion on signing Milford if we get Flanno released? I think he could add something to the team. Takes a bit of pressure off Burton and adds some experience to the spine. If Wayne Bennett is open to signing him, he isn't a pile of shit. Played almost 200 games and is only 27.

He cares who wears the 6 or 7, Burton on the left controlling with his left boot and Milf/Avo on the right with the other in the 14 jersey adding spark out of dummy half when BBO or JMK need a break.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It totally makes sense. He might go OK in England, build his game and confidence at a different level to NRL and come back in a couple of years more mature and experienced eg: Jackson Hastings. We’ll have him partially on the books for 2 years but it allows both parties to get on with the future. I wish the kid well.
I was hoping it would work out with us but now feel it's a wise decision that has to be made.
Good luck to the young man, I hope a change of attitude and clubs does him a world of good !!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Club needs to do everything they can to get rid of him, clear as day that there's major issues here and he is never going to add value to the squad.

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
we should play him with a better team next year and better support and see how he goes.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It sounds like Wakeham is on the outer too after being left out of the bubble and it would be awesome if we could clear Flanagan, Lewis and Wakeham in the off season.

Assuming Averillo is going to play halfback it would leave us with BBO and possibly Kaled Rajab as back ups. Thats not much depth so maybe one of Flanagan or Wakeham will be kept or we could bring in a fresh face.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This deal makes sense. He goes to super league, a transfer fee is paid, comes off our salary cap, we move forward

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously none of you have seen the interview they gave Gus. When asked about Kyle Flanagan, Mr Gould clearly stated that he IS a part of the Dogs rebuild. So he will definately not be shipped off to England.
Obviously you haven’t seen instances when coaches say one thing and the exact opposite happens the following day. For example, when a player is rumored to be on the outer and the coach says they are going nowhere only to be released the next day

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Flanno for Maloney?
That would be ideal. Burton apprenticeship under Maloney as Cleary did, Averillo slots into that centre position.
I know that Maloney is coming back after this super league season to retire despite a year left to go at Catalans. Bit of cash might twist his arm…

Malla

Reaction score
It looks like Gould is prioritising a half back as our next signing. Would be good to get Maloney. Not sure who else is out there?