Flanagan now fighting for relevance when Burton arrives

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Malla I can't recall anyone saying he wants to play half. Except here on TK. Has he ever played half? I'm sure he could but I dont understand why a lot on the kennel want our players to play in different positions. They are shit in their own positions, all the experiments so far have failed miserably.
Apparently Burton himself has been saying he wants to play 7. This is the mail we've been getting from the bearded Assassin so I take it as fact. At the very least Burton has to do all the kicking because Flanno's kicking game is trash. I dont doubt for a second Burton could be a great 7

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You are spot on about Hoppa, DWZ is a good winger but his wage is the problem and will be difficult to offload him.
Personally I wouldn't give up on Flanagan to be in next years team, he needs a real halfback to coach him, TBaz was a 5/8.
The solution...Bring in NODDY as Flanagan's coach and other halves in the club !!!
Lol what? Do our players need their own personal coaches now? LOL. Flanagan just isn't good enough and the Roosters cut him loose within a year after working that out. I still think back to that Broncos game, FOUR tries he bombed because he refused to hit Allan/Jake out the back. They were clear cut opportunities and he bombed all of them, it just isn't good enough.

Malla

Reaction score
Apparently Burton himself has been saying he wants to play 7. This is the mail we've been getting from the bearded Assassin so I take it as fact. At the very least Burton has to do all the kicking because Flanno's kicking game is trash. I dont doubt for a second Burton could be a great 7
Loolllll OK

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I also posted this multiple times, from a Penrith sports journalist.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are spot on about Hoppa, DWZ is a good winger but his wage is the problem and will be difficult to offload him.
Personally I wouldn't give up on Flanagan to be in next years team, he needs a real halfback to coach him, TBaz was a 5/8.
The solution...Bring in NODDY as Flanagan's coach and other halves in the club !!!
I don't rate DWZ period. He has way too many stupid brain farts in his game that he's not worth it at any price.

I like the idea of a halves coach if Baz is too busy to do it. I've always liked Noddy so I'm fine with that. Maybe you should pass that idea on to your sources

The issue I have with Flanno is that he is NO threat to opposition teams so next year teams will just gang up on Burton because they know Flanno won't do shit. At least if Avo is playing next to Burton he is a threat with the ball.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In my opinion we must persevere with Flanagan this year,
If he doesn't improve I would plan to have this setup for next season !
1 JAC
2 DWZ unless we offload him
3 Allen
4 Naden
5 Cotric
6 Averillo
7 Burton
9 Smith
14 Flanagan

Last edited:

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Am I the only one not completely sold on Burton yet? We are certainly pinning a lot of hope on the guy.
Without giving a reason, that’s just a sentence.

He’s 21, he kicks, he passes, he runs, he tackles. All very good to exceptionally.

So what exactly are you looking for?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Without giving a reason, that’s just a sentence.

He’s 21, he kicks, he passes, he runs, he tackles. All very good to exceptionally.

So what exactly are you looking for?
No doubt he's a good (great?) player, and hopefully will only get better, and he shits on what we have... but he also isn't even a starting half at his own club. So many here are pinning our future on him like a drowning person clinging to a life raft. I just hope it all pays off that's all.

Edit: i really should put in this disclaimer - I don't watch a lot of Penrith's games beyond highlights, so am quite possibly talking out of my arse.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol what? Do our players need their own personal coaches now? LOL. Flanagan just isn't good enough and the Roosters cut him loose within a year after working that out. I still think back to that Broncos game, FOUR tries he bombed because he refused to hit Allan/Jake out the back. They were clear cut opportunities and he bombed all of them, it just isn't good enough.
Which part do you find amusing ?
1 You obviously haven't heard of former great halves coaching young halves at different clubs !
2 The fact that the Rorters can afford 2 first grade teams and miraculously stay under the cap, it allows them to sack who ever and when ever they want !
3 The fact that Flanagan is plying in a team without a proper 1, 6, 9, and struggling props and no strike power in the back row !
Great clubs are great because of their ability to solve individual problems as well as major ones

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
“Sometimes, if you can’t create momentum, as a young halfback, you need to learn how to create momentum.” - Brett Kimmorley

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
no... I think Burton wears 6 next year for us and will be the dominant half with Flanagan as a complimentary player
That works as long as they can work in a complementary fashion. Doesn't really matter which jersey the "half" is wearing.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What's so hard for people to understand? Burton will play mostly first receiver, dominate the touches and do all of the kicking.. He'll drift all over the field. He's the most creative half we'll have, will get the most try assists and constantly take on the line running the ball..

Plus he's a great support player. And he's ten times better than Averillo, Flanagan or whoever else will partner him.. So how will he be anything but the dominant half? Whether he wears 6 or 7 on his back, he'll be the main playmaker. That's all there is to it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What's so hard for people to understand? Burton will play mostly first receiver, dominate the touches and do all of the kicking.. He'll drift all over the field. He's the most creative half we'll have, will get the most try assists and constantly take on the line running the ball..

Plus he's a great support player. And he's ten times better than Averillo, Flanagan or whoever else will partner him.. So how will he be anything but the dominant half? Whether he wears 6 or 7 on his back, he'll be the main playmaker. That's all there is to it.
*note to self to start watching more Penriff games

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Which part do you find amusing ?
1 You obviously haven't heard of former great halves coaching young halves at different clubs !
2 The fact that the Rorters can afford 2 first grade teams and miraculously stay under the cap, it allows them to sack who ever and when ever they want !
3 The fact that Flanagan is plying in a team without a proper 1, 6, 9, and struggling props and no strike power in the back row !
Great clubs are great because of their ability to solve individual problems as well as major ones
Jake is more of a 6 than Flanagan is a 7. **** is shit and you lot need to stop making excuses because the same excuses apply for pretty much everyone else in the squad. We have enough staff on board, not to mention the whole narrative with Baz was how amazing he is offensively and how well he worked with the halves, yet your saying we need another halves coach? LOL.

Flanagan right now is just another flop of a recruit like Hetherington, Waddell and Allan. The only thing Flanagan has going for him is that he's young and there's a shortage of halfbacks in the game and that will buy him some more time.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree 1000% with everything Noddy said (except for Hoppa and DWZ being at the club next year)

Ideally Flanno is gone next year but in the worst case scenario he needs to play second fiddle to our REAL star recruit
If Noddy had've been listening to Baz last week, he'd know that the aim is for Alamoti to be in FG; together with Naden that leaves nowhere for Hoppa.

Dal will still be under contract, and Meaney off contract: if only one i to be retained, the easy play is to let Meaney go. Personally I'd keep Meaney, and let Dal go at the end of his contract next year with one or both playing reggies/fill ins for injuries.