Flanagan isnt the problem

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone actually seen Flanagan play a dominant game for any club??
I struggle to see what Barrett saw in him to sign him in the first place??
We could have made a play at Reynolds if we didnt sign this clown..
Flanno had a couple of productive games at the chooks, but was never dominant as a half. Was probably made to look better than he was among their players and fooled a few people (not Trent Robinson). Have to admit I thought he was better than he is, but he's terrible so far.

And just cause he's finally been made accountable for his shit doesn't mean the forwards aren't also shit. It's both, but Flanno has to go and have a crack with Mounties for a while. Unfortunately Lewis is our least worst half right now.

It's just so gut wrenching every time another decent chunk of salary cap looks like being meaningless for several years. Stimson, Britt, Napa, Hoppa, Flanagan, etc. And it's not just our recruitment - why doesn't any player EVER improve faster than a snail, or find a higher gear (until they join another club that is)?

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Not concerned at all, Flanno just has no speed, no agility, poor kicking, and no brains. You don't really need these attributes as a halfback.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Barrett thought he could turn Flanagan into a Cleary clone and failed miserably, strike one for Barrett

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanno has really one chance to impress if he gets a shot to do so again. Lots of hard work to do though, better knuckle down an take it to the field.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We will see this weekend if the halves make a difference

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flanagan has been a clear standout for worst player in our squad imo (honourable mention to s katoa). Whilst our pack hasn't been world beaters, they have on occasions provided good forward momentum and quick play the balls that flanagan has not once taken advantage of.

Furthermore flanagan definitely hinders our packs forward momentum with poor organisation and terrible pass selection. He has the knack of feeding the ball to the forward in the most densely defended part of the oppositions defensive line and will often telegraph it too the opposition..

His kicking game has been nothing short of disgusting in both yardage and attack. In yardage his kicks are so weak and in a traditional end over end style placing little to no pressure on the receiver and are always directed down the receivers throat.

His fifth tackle options in the red zone are by far the worst of the lot.. the countless times he received the ball on the last and shit himself, only to dump the ball off outside of him, is by far the most infuriating thing and damaging thing he does.

His lack of execution in attack is a major reason why we are having record points scored against us..

If anything this new style of game that vlandys has implemented shows that attack is the best form of defense.

If you can't get a repeat set via goal line drop out or get the ball back after scoring a try, then you are by default, giving the opposition too much ball. You give the opposition too much ball in this current game, then you will be burnt.

Finally a trend I've noticed with most teams and even with ours at times (small amount of times) that tries create momentum especially in the forwards.. most forwards in the comp are full of running right after scoring a try. It would be demoralizing as a forward to continually get to the red zone time after time, only to come away with nothing.

Not defending the forwards but definitely not giving them all the blame like a lot of people on here..

So no Flanagan is not the ONLY problem.. but is a massive problem..

P.s I think S. Katoas performances have been disgraceful and Flanagan definitely can blame some of his shitness on Katoa.. I can only imagine Trent is only running with Katoa out of necessity? But even then his use of the bench rotation has been terrible. Trent had a perfect opportunity in the dragons game to bring on Dietz when the game was in the balance 10-15 before h/t..

Mattreneeandgus

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flanagan has been a clear standout for worst player in our squad imo (honourable mention to s katoa). Whilst our pack hasn't been world beaters, they have on occasions provided good forward momentum and quick play the balls that flanagan has not once taken advantage of.

Furthermore flanagan definitely hinders our packs forward momentum with poor organisation and terrible pass selection. He has the knack of feeding the ball to the forward in the most densely defended part of the oppositions defensive line and will often telegraph it too the opposition..

His kicking game has been nothing short of disgusting in both yardage and attack. In yardage his kicks are so weak and in a traditional end over end style placing little to no pressure on the receiver and are always directed down the receivers throat.

His fifth tackle options in the red zone are by far the worst of the lot.. the countless times he received the ball on the last and shit himself, only to dump the ball off outside of him, is by far the most infuriating thing and damaging thing he does.

His lack of execution in attack is a major reason why we are having record points scored against us..

If anything this new style of game that vlandys has implemented shows that attack is the best form of defense.

If you can't get a repeat set via goal line drop out or get the ball back after scoring a try, then you are by default, giving the opposition too much ball. You give the opposition too much ball in this current game, then you will be burnt.

Finally a trend I've noticed with most teams and even with ours at times (small amount of times) that tries create momentum especially in the forwards.. most forwards in the comp are full of running right after scoring a try. It would be demoralizing as a forward to continually get to the red zone time after time, only to come away with nothing.

Not defending the forwards but definitely not giving them all the blame like a lot of people on here..

P.s I think S. Katoas performances have been disgraceful and Flanagan definitely can blame some of his shitness on Katoa.. I can only imagine Trent is only running with Katoa out of necessity? But even then his use of the bench rotation has been terrible. Trent had a perfect opportunity in the dragons game to bring on Dietz when the game was in the balance 10-15 before h/t..
The thing is our halves have been doing these exact things for years, whether it be, Mbye, Reynolds, Foran,, Wakeham, Lewis, the list goes on, we have had ordinary end of sets, unable to maintain any pressure, and unable to score points for several years, so yeah we can see Flanagan has some issues, but more the team have massive issues and to pinpoint Flanagan as the main problem, I don’t think is right

Malla

Reaction score

Great post.

And nobody has bothered to mention how the new rules have impacted us in the media. I think this is a big factor for the team and why they seem so off the pace. I think the same could be said about Raiders (not to go off topic) but look at the way they are starting well and can't finish games - just too big and not fit enough. I think we are impacted the same way, our forwards aren't fit or strong enough, our backs don't help, our hooker play may have been ok in old rules environment but new rules its abysmal. And yes Flanagan has been well below par.

Everyone should take accountability, especially Flanagan. If he does not improve from this and force his way back into our first grade team then so be it, it is what it is.

Reactions: GDR

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Flanno has really one chance to impress if he gets a shot to do so again. Lots of hard work to do though, better knuckle down an take it to the field.
Dad might get Tigers or Raiders gig the way things are going at those clubs?

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Kyle will come good his heart is in this club. If he did not care he would not have given a damn.

Look at some of the other players just laughing and carrying on when we lose. at least this guy cares about losing his position.

He needs the forwards to lay a platform then he can work off that.