Flanagan isnt the problem

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan can’t even kick a ball properly.

Lewis and Averillo can at least kick a ball high enough to give the chasers time to reach it.

Flanagan’s bombs are like chip kicks. Absolutely useless in attacking situations.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dragons vs Bulldogs: Trent Barrett explains decision to hook Kyle Flanagan at half-time of Dragons loss

Written By
Liam O'Loughlin
(SportingNews Australia)

Canterbury Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett has admitted that he will have to speak to Kyle Flanagan this week, after the halfback was hooked at half-time on Sunday.

St George Illawarra bounced back from a disappointing few weeks to hand the Bulldogs their eighth loss of the season, as things continue to go from bad to worse at Belmore.

Flanagan was replaced by Lachlan Lewis after the first half, as the attacking issues that have plagued Canterbury all season continued.

Barrett confirmed it was a tactical decision to take Flanagan off, and didn't rule out dropping him for Magic Round next weekend.

“Yes it was (tactical)," he said.

“Probably the execution of our set ends again (was the issue). We had some opportunities early there in that first half, and it’s something we need to address.

“I think given where we are on the table, we need to make some changes where we see fit. If that’s what is in the best interests of the team moving forward, that’s what we’ll do.

"Kyle is not the only one. There are 17 blokes in the team, and we’ve all got to perform. We’ve all got different roles to play.

"If we’re not getting the job done, we have to think about making some changes.

“He was okay. He got back on there in the second half. We’ll have a chat about that through the week."

Flanagan is seen as the long-term playmaker at the club, but has been criticised plenty this season for his last tackle options and lack of creativity in attack.

But at the same time, Barrett is right in saying that it's a team effort, and realises the simple and controllable errors are becoming more costly every week.

“From a performance point of view, I thought our execution was poor. I thought our discipline was poor. Across the board, it was poor," Barrett said.

“The controllables that we spoke about last week – the individual errors coming out of yardage, the kick-offs out on the full, the concentration on last plays. There were three tries on last plays – all those things we can control.

"We’re not good enough to do that at the moment, and we haven’t been for two months and that’s concerning."

The other issue for Canterbury at the moment is their injury list, with three more players now facing time on the sidelines.

Corey Allan and Lachlan Lewis were both sent to hospital, while Ava Seumanufagai (HIA) will need to pass protocols in order to play next weekend.

Barrett admitted they are 'in a hole' in regards to injuries, and are struggling to find a way out.

“Lachlan has got a lung issue, I think he has gone to hospital. There was a bit of carnage there – him and Corey Allan are both in hospital," he said.

“On top of the performance, we’re not getting much luck at the moment with things like that.

“It’s hard – I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t. You go through the players that we are missing; I think we had seven blokes who probably make our starting side out tonight. We’re probably not in a position to be able to cover for those at the moment.

“We’re in a bit of a hole. It’s 50 per-cent of your starting side really that we’re missing and we can’t really afford to.

"We still have to be better than what we were tonight."

Reactions: ATT

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanagan can’t even kick a ball properly.

Lewis and Averillo can at least kick a ball high enough to give the chasers time to reach it.

Flanagan’s bombs are like chip kicks. Absolutely useless in attacking situations.
Spot on. Lewis came on and his kicks were ten times better. They landed on the try line and gave chasers a chance.. He even got close to a 40/20 on 3rd tackle.. Meanwhile, Flanagan tries a 40/20 on 1st tackle ten out from their line.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He should go to reserve grade.
Not to be knifed, flesh put in a bowl to make scales weigh more (saw 6) but as a learning exercise.
No one cares about nsw cup yet the standard is nearly as good as the ESL so he has an opportunity to hone his craft.
It’s not such a bad thing, like practicing away from eyes.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanagan wont be there next year.
At this rate I don't see how he can be. He'll either be moved on if another club takes a chance on him, or play Reserves.

People need to accept that he's a liability and wake up to what a massive decision it was for Barrett bench him at half time of a 6-0 game. That's from the coach who signed Flanagan, was extremely patient with him and made him his main playmaker...

So if another horrible performance and Baz hooking him, plus his post game comments wasn't a sign that he's not a long term option, I don't know what more evidence people would need.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The dud attack can be blamed on Katoa Flanagan & Averillo.. all 3 of them are lucky to be in FG..

They had enough pill in the red zone to setup somthing but did nothing..

We scored off a strip & intercept..

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He may not be the problem (it is too simplistic to say he is) but he is a big contributor to it.

I'm not a fan of Jake. Runs like is on egg shells. Rather a 5/8 with better core strength

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is one of many problems we currently have, what doesn't help is at full strength we are still a bottom 4 side but now have basically 50% of our starting side out, when it rains it pours, NOTHING is going our way at the moment

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who are the seven starting players we are missing that Baz referred too in the presser ?

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who are the seven starting players we are missing that Baz referred too in the presser ?
Heatherington, Napa, Marshall, RFM, Crichton, Okunbor. Missing one

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Starts and ends with the spine...

Fullback- awful whoever it is
5/8- Arilello is terrible
Halfback- what a laugh he’s performing daylight robbery on us paying him!
Hooker- worst in the comp

You don’t have a spine you are not winning

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If baz dropped him then no kennel member is going to convince me that I wasn’t right since we signed him. The kid is a dud and I’d be surprised if he is in the top 17 next year. If we can nab a better half then bye bye flano you can sook yourself out of contract and go play elsewhere. He is cheap enough to leave him in reserves. If he doesn’t like it find another career. I said this weeks before if baz is serious about his coaching ability then he needs to drop flano. The first half with the ample opportunities he stuffed up, if we score 1-2 tries the whole game is different.
Your forwards can’t keep going forward for donuts. Wtf is the point when your half kicks on the first out on the full or knocks on or kicks directly into the arms of the defender or runs straight into the defence line which had him covered yesterday. The guy is a fucking dud

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jake has had better touches with far more limited touches. He still isn't good enough, but at least he might be in the future. Flanagan sure as shit won't.
You just answered a question there without realising . Averillo is hardly involved , and really needs to inject himself a bit more.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only 2 reasons OP created thread:

1. He is Kyle Flanagan.
2. He backed him when first signed, and cant accept his mistake. Making himself look like a complete idiot, instead of admiting fault and moving on like an adult.

I'd say it's probably reason 2. But we all know it's definitely reason 1.

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The roosters don’t let good players slip through their fingers. Flanagan is an imposter. The roosters dumped him because they could see it. He is Moses Mbye the Second. Terrible In attack. Terrible 5th tackle options.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You just answered a question there without realising . Averillo is hardly involved , and really needs to inject himself a bit more.
Yes his involvement isn't good enough and that's on him, Flanagan and Trent. Trent made the decision very early that Flanagan was going to play on the ball and trained that way all offseason and it has backfired massively.