Flanagan consolidated thread.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Jai field signed with wigan
He will do really well over there, happy for him. More smaller kids like him should go over to the super league more and just have fun and learn things without added pressure. Meaney is another one that could benefit greatly from the move if he wanted too.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
My question is by your own description, what makes him better than say, Aiden Sezer or even Jake Cogger ?

I wouldn't mind Jai field as he can run.
I would not of let go of Cogger but obviously Barrett doesn't see Cogger as capable of delivering us to the top of the competition...so that's his call.
Interestingly, I haven't seen any other Clubs rushing to pick up the players we have just let go, except of course our player of the year Foran.
I also would of kept Sezer.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I would not of let go of Cogger but obviously Barrett doesn't see Cogger as capable of delivering us to the top of the competition...so that's his call.
Interestingly, I haven't seen any other Clubs rushing to pick up the players we have just let go, except of course our player of the year Foran.
Yeah, but it's not like there were a whole list of clubs clamouring for Foran either. Just Des the idiot

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I thought a Cogger and Burton partnership would have been great but not to be sadly

Donkey Slayer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just fuck no to Flanagan belongs at the sharks

Fucking roosters bunch of tospots keep the ****

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's not like there were a whole list of clubs clamouring for Foran either. Just Des the idiot
Des would've gotten a commission out of the deal !
He can't be that stupid...Can he ???

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns blasts Kyle Flanagan critics amid Canterbury Bulldogs links

Rugby league immortal Andrew Johns has leapt to the defence of Sydney Roosters halfback Kyle Flanagan following reports he's unwanted at the club beyond 2021.

The 22-year-old felt the heat of the NRL microscope over the weekend as he was harshly blamed for the loss against Canberra that ended the club's dreams of a premiership three-peat.

Nine's Danny Weidler revealed earlier this week that the young playmaker now faces an early exit from his contract at Bondi.

And it appears rival clubs are already lining up for Flanagan's signature with the Bulldogs showing strong interest, according to a report from NRL.com.

Johns said Flanagan would be a "really good" fit with the Bulldogs, but took aim at pundits for criticising the former Shark.

The legendary Newcastle Knights halfback urged critics to go back and watch footage of himself, Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk when they were younger, so they could understand the journey it takes to perfect the No.7 position.

"Everyone knocking Kyle Flanagan, I think he had a really strong year," Johns told Wide World of Sports' Freddy & the Eighth.

"Go and watch Johnathan Thurston when he was 20, watch me when I was 20, go watch Cooper Cronk – he was coming off the bench playing dummy-half.

"It takes so long to try and master the halfback position.

"People are being too tough on Kyle Flanagan.

"The people being tough don't know what they're talking about."

Roosters great Brad Fittler added that, "It was a long season for (Flanagan)".

"I think when you look at the Roosters, there was fade and fatigue there – Canberra just ran over the top."

Johns added that Flanagan was a victim of the injury to young star Victor Radley, who went down earlier in the season with an ACL injury.

"When Victor Radley got hurt, Radley was their link in the middle of the field," Johns added.

"When he went, Kyle Flanagan took on a lot more responsibility.

"Also, Luke Keary had those head knocks. I don't understand it."

But should the Roosters move on Flanagan, Johns said he expects 22-year-old Lachlan Lam to start at halfback, while teenager Sam Walker continues to develop as he eyes a spot in the halves.

"Who should replace Flanagan? I think Lachlan Lam will be halfback to start," he said.

"Sam Walker – too early, he's only a baby, let him develop and play lower grade.

"Make errors. This is where you learn your trade, out on the field making errors.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The main thing to come from this is Flanagan has a giant chip on his shoulder and extra motivation to prove the Roosters/his critics wrong.

Whoever signs him hopefully sees the best of him. It all depends on how strong he is mentally and how much he's willing to work on his game to take it to the next level. The good players come out of these situations better players. Others can't handle the pressure. Hopefully if we sign Flanagan, he's got that drive and determination to prove everyone wrong.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The main thing to come from this is Flanagan has a giant chip on his shoulder and extra motivation to prove the Roosters/his critics wrong.

Whoever signs him hopefully sees the best of him. It all depends on how strong he is mentally and how much he's willing to work on his game to take it to the next level. The good players come out of these situations better players. Others can't handle the pressure. Hopefully if we sign Flanagan, he's got that drive and determination to prove everyone wrong.
Apparently he played through injury the last few games and needed needles during breaks which could explain why he probably didn’t take the line on or inject himself like people expected him too

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Apparently he played through injury the last few games and needed needles during breaks which could explain why he probably didn’t take their on or inject himself like people expected him too
There'd definitely be a lot of factors. Being dumped mid season when he was playing pretty well would have rocked his confidence. I don't think playing with a team full of stars who need the ball a lot helps either. Maybe that's why Flanagan deferred so much as he didn't know his role and was happy being a link player.

When he was at Cronulla I remember him being the dominant playmaker and running it a lot more. I'm sure if Barrett gets to coach him, he'll work on Flanagan's flaws and have him playing with much more confidence.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There'd definitely be a lot of factors. Being dumped mid season when he was playing pretty well would have rocked his confidence. I don't think playing with a team full of stars who need the ball a lot helps either. Maybe that's why Flanagan deferred so much as he didn't know his role and was happy being a link player.

When he was at Cronulla I remember him being the dominant playmaker and running it a lot more. I'm sure if Barrett gets to coach him, he'll work on Flanagan's flaws and have him playing with much more confidence.
He’ll get his opportunity to shut up all the naysayers .. let’s hope he chooses to train hard and apply him self and not wallow in self pity. Seems like a good kid with his head switched on. Would like to see what he could do working with TBaz who has done wonders for Cleary.

Last edited:

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett would work wonders for this kid.

There is no doubt cleary's development this year has been enormous and no doubt Barrett has been a massive key to this.

He's got more chance of reaching his potential under Barrett than Floginson. That myth has been made to look successful by the Sombrero and Cronk.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Same thing happened last year, no club picked up Lichaa, Danny Fuallolo etc. Just shows why our roster needs a major overhaul

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan breaks silence on son Kyle Flanagan’s demise at Roosters
Paul Crawley, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
October 15, 2020 6:19pm

Shane Flanagan has broken his silence on his son Kyle’s shock demise at the Sydney Roosters, conceding “he is gutted” but determined to fight to save his career.

Clearly upset at unfair criticism Kyle has copped, Flanagan opened up about how Kyle had no clue he was on the outer at the Roosters until he met coach Trent Robinson on Tuesday morning.
That post-season review came on the same day as the club’s presentation night, and just five days after the 21-year-old played 50 minutes with a serious grade three AC joint shoulder injury that required painkilling injections at halftime during the semi final loss to Canberra.

It is highly unlikely he will be at the Roosters next season with Canterbury the front-runners to sign him.
“He had no idea of it,” Flanagan said.
“Yes, he was gutted.
“For me he had a really good season and he played well in that last game.
“He had to go and get painkillers at halftime with an AC joint. They told him he shouldn’t go back but he played the whole game.
“I had a couple of (grade three injuries) this year at the Dragons and they didn’t come back.
“It is a pretty nasty injury and he did well.
“He is a tough kid.
“I thought he busted his arse for his first year of NRL this year.

“If you play halfback at the Roosters you are going to get criticised sometimes.
“But I just thought it was a little bit unwarranted.”

Criticism of Kyle Flanagan’s form has been “unwarranted”.
The Bulldogs have already publicly revealed their interest while Flanagan said other clubs have also expressed interest.
Great news if Rorter$ let him go.. i see alot of positives in Flanagans game and he can only improve..

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Roosters proving themselves as ***** again by throwing him under the bus. I didn't see Flanagan missing the ball that let the game winning try be scored.

I'd take a punt on the kid and I would assume he wouldn't be on the much when it comes to the money. He definitely better than any halves we have at the moment.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd take a punt on the kid and I would assume he wouldn't be on the much when it comes to the money. He definitely better than any halves we have at the moment.
Plus he's got more up side then any other half on the market. He could be a dud but I think he is worth rolling the dice on.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns blasts Kyle Flanagan critics amid Canterbury Bulldogs links

Rugby league immortal Andrew Johns has leapt to the defence of Sydney Roosters halfback Kyle Flanagan following reports he's unwanted at the club beyond 2021.

The 22-year-old felt the heat of the NRL microscope over the weekend as he was harshly blamed for the loss against Canberra that ended the club's dreams of a premiership three-peat.

Nine's Danny Weidler revealed earlier this week that the young playmaker now faces an early exit from his contract at Bondi.

And it appears rival clubs are already lining up for Flanagan's signature with the Bulldogs showing strong interest, according to a report from NRL.com.

Johns said Flanagan would be a "really good" fit with the Bulldogs, but took aim at pundits for criticising the former Shark.

The legendary Newcastle Knights halfback urged critics to go back and watch footage of himself, Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk when they were younger, so they could understand the journey it takes to perfect the No.7 position.

"Everyone knocking Kyle Flanagan, I think he had a really strong year," Johns told Wide World of Sports' Freddy & the Eighth.

"Go and watch Johnathan Thurston when he was 20, watch me when I was 20, go watch Cooper Cronk – he was coming off the bench playing dummy-half.

"It takes so long to try and master the halfback position.

"People are being too tough on Kyle Flanagan.

"The people being tough don't know what they're talking about."

Roosters great Brad Fittler added that, "It was a long season for (Flanagan)".

"I think when you look at the Roosters, there was fade and fatigue there – Canberra just ran over the top."

Johns added that Flanagan was a victim of the injury to young star Victor Radley, who went down earlier in the season with an ACL injury.

"When Victor Radley got hurt, Radley was their link in the middle of the field," Johns added.

"When he went, Kyle Flanagan took on a lot more responsibility.

"Also, Luke Keary had those head knocks. I don't understand it."

But should the Roosters move on Flanagan, Johns said he expects 22-year-old Lachlan Lam to start at halfback, while teenager Sam Walker continues to develop as he eyes a spot in the halves.

"Who should replace Flanagan? I think Lachlan Lam will be halfback to start," he said.

"Sam Walker – too early, he's only a baby, let him develop and play lower grade.

"Make errors. This is where you learn your trade, out on the field making errors.

Joeys been reading the kennel, i said the same thing yesterday about jt.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree , if he's gonna be a long term 6 then why not blood him there from now. Or if he is gonna be a fullback, might as well work out all the kinks from now too. If we do get burton that then puts a question mark over Averillo at 6 long term, maybe TB puts him at FB but it doesn't seem like there's been indication thats where his first grade career lies. Alot of it will depend on who we get and the plans of TB.
AVERILLO is not physically ready for the NRL