Flanagan consolidated thread.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As a Roosters fan, I’m not disappointed to see the back of Flanagan. Keary was playing on his own in the halves from about round 12 onwards. Flanagan needs a dominant number 6 which Canterbury don’t have. You need a half to at least threaten the line. He doesn’t do that. He is an outstanding goal kicker but it ain’t enough.
Hodkinson 2.0 for us then.

Wild Robbo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Very true. Would be extremely smart of the club to sign up both of them immediately. Time will tell though but having Baz and his team in place already should provide that trust in the direction we're going in.

Also, neither of them should cost mega bucks I'd imagine. Would you bring in Marshall this year to help Flano a bit?

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mail is that sbw pissed a few players off who busted their ass preseason and played 80% of the season or more so the gun for hire could walk back in a grab another ring without much effort.
100%. The way they did this to their squad was not only BS from a salary cap perspective but so disrepectful for their squad.
They made a huge racket about Aubo's 300 games (As they should) but it was only a week or two later he was not in the 17 to make way for $BW. Only through an injury he was recalled and got to play - Some way to treat your so called club hero...

Pappydog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
100%. The way they did this to their squad was not only BS from a salary cap perspective but so disrepectful for their squad.
They made a huge racket about Aubo's 300 games (As they should) but it was only a week or two later he was not in the 17 to make way for $BW. Only through an injury he was recalled and got to play - Some way to treat your so called club hero...
Seems like Uncle Nick put the order in to Robertson: play SBW (thinking it’s his best chance for a 3 peat and place in rugby league immortality). Try as hard as you want uncle Nick, you’ll never be Bullfrog

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘Exactly what they need’: Why Dogs and Flanagan are a match made in heaven
Matty Johns believes a potential move to the Bulldogs would be the best decision for Kyle Flanagan’s long-term development.

Flanagan moved to the Roosters from Cronulla to replace Cooper Cronk as the club’s halfback.

However, the club failed to make a third straight grand final and Flanagan has appeared as a potential scapegoat.

Foxsports.com.au revealed on Tuesday that Canterbury’s new coach Trent Barrett is a big fan of the Roosters half, and Johns believes going to the Bulldogs would help further his career.

“It surprised me to pick him up and let him go after 12 months, I think it’s a tough call,” Johns told Fox League’s NRL360.

“He’s still a young player, it’s like the English Premier League when they signed you to go Manchester United. They would say it’s a big ask for young players to go there as opposed to playing at some of the smaller clubs.

“I actually think going to a club like that where the expectation is lower would suit him.

“[Barrett] He’s done a good job with Nathan Cleary [at Penrith] this year.

“They’re a club on the build that’s for sure. The Bulldogs will be good for him.

“For him to go to a club where they’re trying to go three in a row is a big ask because there’s big expectations but he was playing against opposition teams who want to beat the premiers, that’s tough on a young player.”

Flanagan has played just 29 games in his short NRL career and Mark Geyer shared a similar view to Johns that a move for the playmaker makes sense.

Speaking on Triple M, Geyer argued that the move would benefit Flanagan as much as his signing would help the Bulldogs.

“It’s brutal. At the moment it’s all speculation but it’s so brutal on young Flanagan, but unfortunately it’s business,” Geyer said. “The Roosters obviously don’t see him in their long-term plans. Flanagan might not want to be a long-term Rooster either. He could be a Bulldog by November 1.

“He is perfect for them, a goalkicking halfback. That’s exactly what they want. That’s exactly what they need.

“He’s a baby and he’s only going to get better, buddy. He’s only going to get better Kyle Flanagan, I rate him. I rate him a lot.
Ok
I know it won't be popular but I'm worried if we sign him. I don't rate him as highly as others on here.

He is a goal kicker and Keary's assistant but that's about it.

Also the Roosters never release good players IE Crapa and Smith come straight to mind.
Cooper Cronk was mentoring him all pre-season and throughout season 2020. Flanno is also playing in and around perhaps the best club system and processes in the entire NRL.
He had everything available to him to fit into the Roosters culture and succeed.
While I am not a fan of Kyle he is still above and beyond anything we have in our club atm. Kyle would be a good short term fix for the club for perhaps a season or two.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Ok

Cooper Cronk was mentoring him all pre-season and throughout season 2020. Flanno is also playing in and around perhaps the best club system and processes in the entire NRL.
He had everything available to him to fit into the Roosters culture and succeed.
While I am not a fan of Kyle he is still above and beyond anything we have in our club atm.
Can't argue with that, especially your last sentence.

I just don't want to end up with another passenger, especially now we have got rid of some.

Just to clarify I'm not saying he is shit or even I don't want to sign him, just a bit weary that's all.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can't argue with that, especially your last sentence.

I just don't want to end up with another passenger, especially now we have got rid of some.
Bro he had the red carpet treatment available to him, best coaches and coaching staff, a premier number #7 in Cronk and facilities unlike any other at his peril.
I don’t think he’ll ever be a great half back and instead be a settler much like Blake Green has been throughout his career.
He really struggles in defence and he isn’t a attacking #7.
He has a tiny frame much like Keary but the speed of a tortoise and the strength of a chipmunk.
Again, he is still better then any options we have at this club atm so unless we’re considering Benji on a ONE year deal you can’t not sign Kyle.
Also he had a dominant and athletic pack at the Roosters he was playing behind. How would be travel behind a lesser pack like the Dogs?

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a Roosters fan, I’m not disappointed to see the back of Flanagan. Keary was playing on his own in the halves from about round 12 onwards. Flanagan needs a dominant number 6 which Canterbury don’t have. You need a half to at least threaten the line. He doesn’t do that. He is an outstanding goal kicker but it ain’t enough.
100% spot on. The exact words I told my brother who's a Chooks fan. Flanagan just throws repeatedly predictable passes 10m backwards to a player running into faces not spaces. Non existent running game. The Chooks attack is single point dependent on Keary setting up the tries and line breaks for the backline.

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I swear it’s a lot of fans who write off young halves, not everyone is Nathan Cleary or a prodigy at half like he is, halves is one of the toughest positions to truely learn and excel at and honestly one of the only ways to improve is for game time so with less than 30 games under his belt means he’s barely got his feet wet.
Some will argue that he’s in a roosters camp where he’s meant to really shine but the pressure could be getting to him, or maybe he’s not being able to play the game he wants to because there’s too much strike around the park that get first dibs over him. If I was the dogs and I could get a decent price I’d swoop him up

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flanagan with possibly Burton as well next year or year after (Doubt Burton can afford to waste another year behind Cleary and Luai) and B Smith or Grant although Grant unlikely now with JAC at fullback isn’t too far a fetch at this point now.
1. JAC
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
9. B Smith
Looking pretty good.
According to the collective rumours on the Kennel this could be the team next season
1 Allen............................Meaney
2 JAC..............................Crichton
3 Cotric.........................Schoupp
4 Hopoate
5 DWZ...........................Okunbor
6 Burton.......................Averillo
7 Flanagan..................Wakeham
8 Thompson...............Napa
9 Grant..........................JMK / Katoa
10 Hetherington..........Ogden
11 RFM............................Waddell
12 Elliott.........................Stimson / Britt
13 Jackson.....................To'omaga / Smith

Could the rumours become true ???

_blue_n_white_

Waterboy
Reaction score
Dope. Learn to read, where did I blame him?

He simply didn't display anything in a back to back premiership side. That's not blaming dope.
You said he's shown nothing in a roosters side. What did u want a 21 year old with 15 games under his belt to do? Take the side under his wing? You are at least part blaming him into why the roosters failed this year u flog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
According to the collective rumours on the Kennel this could be the team next season
1 Allen............................Meaney
2 JAC..............................Crichton
3 Cotric.........................Schoupp
4 Hopoate
5 DWZ...........................Okunbor
6 Burton.......................Averillo
7 Flanagan..................Wakeham
8 Thompson...............Napa
9 Grant..........................JMK / Katoa
10 Hetherington..........Ogden
11 RFM............................Waddell
12 Elliott.........................Stimson / Britt
13 Jackson.....................To'omaga / Smith

Could the rumours become true ???
There are Allan rumours? He's been quite impressive at the Rabbitohs filling in for Latrell.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swear it’s a lot of fans who write off young halves, not everyone is Nathan Cleary or a prodigy at half like he is, halves is one of the toughest positions to truely learn and excel at and honestly one of the only ways to improve is for game time so with less than 30 games under his belt means he’s barely got his feet wet.
Some will argue that he’s in a roosters camp where he’s meant to really shine but the pressure could be getting to him, or maybe he’s not being able to play the game he wants to because there’s too much strike around the park that get first dibs over him. If I was the dogs and I could get a decent price I’d swoop him up
Flanagan has no running game, no vision, no creativity and didn't perform under pressure. As a half he and Keary gets the ball BEFORE the strike players around them. The strike players rely on the halves to create the opportunities. The difference is that Keary threatens the defence and sets up tries and Flanagan does not. Why recruit him on a halfback's salary when he lacks all the mandatory criteria required for a half.
I wouldn't call Nathan Cleary a prodigy. He was a below average half for years riding off his father's name until this year with TB hand holding him he's improved considerably. Prodigies don't need to be spoon fed because they already have natural ability and star quality. Baa was a star already in his first year in first grade when he was 19. Turvey was ripping the Dogs apart as an amateur playing for Riverina when he was 19. Those two are real prodigies.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flanagan has no running game, no vision, no creativity and didn't perform under pressure. As a half he and Keary gets the ball BEFORE the strike players around them. The strike players rely on the halves to create the opportunities. The difference is that Keary threatens the defence and sets up tries and Flanagan does not. Why recruit him on a halfback's salary when he lacks all the mandatory criteria required for a half.
I wouldn't call Nathan Cleary a prodigy. He was a below average half for years riding off his father's name until this year with TB hand holding him he's improved considerably. Prodigies don't need to be spoon fed because they already have natural ability and star quality. Baa was a star already in his first year in first grade when he was 19. Turvey was ripping the Dogs apart as an amateur playing for Riverina when he was 19. Those two are real prodigies.
300k for Flanagan is a risk worth taking if we can't get Burton for 2021.