Opinion Flanagan cannot be no 7 in 2023

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see a big clean out coming at seasons end.
Probably not as big as the end of next season when a LOT of our players come off contract. There will be a few more let go by years end but can see a major overhaul during next season and at the end of season '23.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
bahaha mate get over moving him to centre. You are off your head if you think he signed with us to play centre.
Agree with what you have said. But, simply put, Burton is not playing like a 5/8 should.
The coach should sit him down and let him watch some Terry lamb videos. Let him learn from the best.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What if, during the off-season, we make Flanagan fight TPJ once a week until he's the hardest c*** in the NRL and isn't afraid to take the line on? :P
I like this. Every second day that way TPJ can fight Avo the other days.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben Hunt can negotiate as of November 1st for the 2024 season & I think is our best option if our sights are set on an established Top 5 Half Back.

We have plenty of cap space for 2024 & I would say that we are much closer to being a top 4 prospect with him in the team compared to most of his other options which in my opinion would be - Dragons, Dolphins, Tigers, Knights, Warriors & Titans.

We know from Gus's history that he likes to have an experienced half to partner his young gun as was the case with Maloney & Cleary.

We also know that we have the third party deals that could tip any deal in our favour.

He will probably win this years Dally M and has single handedly been carrying the dragqueens for years now.

Even though he will be 33, he has had a relatively low rate of injuries in his career.

I think a lot will depend on who else we can sign after Nov 1st, & if they are top line players then that will also be enticing.

I still think we land Haas, & that could be enough for Hunt to seriously consider us as every Halfback needs a strong forward pack.

Hass, TPJ, Kikau, RFM, Mahoney is a pretty strong pack to want to play behind.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started reading all the comments to see what was said but eventually gave up too much of the same thing be said over and over. So I will add my own flavour... to the same discussion. We are struggling with our kicking game because we either get a good kick away through Burton or we get some shit that is misdirected and short that it puts us under pressure immediately.

We need someone that can at least get a long kick away, doesn't have to be a high kick like Burton but need to get distance otherwise we will continue to have shit field position. Burton needs to have some backup maybe Reed kicking from DH will do some of that but we also need another kicking option that doesn't result in just effectively handing the ball over.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Ben Hunt can negotiate as of November 1st for the 2024 season & I think is our best option if our sights are set on an established Top 5 Half Back.

We have plenty of cap space for 2024 & I would say that we are much closer to being a top 4 prospect with him in the team compared to most of his other options which in my opinion would be - Dragons, Dolphins, Tigers, Knights, Warriors & Titans.

We know from Gus's history that he likes to have an experienced half to partner his young gun as was the case with Maloney & Cleary.

We also know that we have the third party deals that could tip any deal in our favour.

He will probably win this years Dally M and has single handedly been carrying the dragqueens for years now.

Even though he will be 33, he has had a relatively low rate of injuries in his career.

I think a lot will depend on who else we can sign after Nov 1st, & if they are top line players then that will also be enticing.

I still think we land Haas, & that could be enough for Hunt to seriously consider us as every Halfback needs a strong forward pack.

Hass, TPJ, Kikau, RFM, Mahoney is a pretty strong pack to want to play behind.

Ben Hunt unfortunately is a cracking hooker. But really comes back to the pack at halfback.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ben Hunt unfortunately is a cracking hooker. But really comes back to the pack at halfback.
You jest right? Has been killing it for the Dragons at times a one man band virtually carries them.
I'm not saying sign him due to facts including cost and he is getting on in age, nevermind the fact I think he is going to extend at St merge..
And we're likely getting Sullivan if the mail from a kenneller yesterday is accurate...

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
You jest right? Has been killing it for the Dragons at times a one man band virtually carries them.
I'm not saying sign him due to factory including cost and he is getting onnin age, nevermind the fact I think he is going to extend at St merge..
And we're likely getting Sullivan if the mail from a kenneller yesterday is accurate...
Then it gets back to have a young guy on the field and developing him. This is the biggest problem. It would be great if we could find someone experienced to plug in. They don't have to be a world beater, just someone solid while a young player develops behind him.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Then it gets back to have a young guy on the field and developing him. This is the biggest problem. It would be great if we could find someone experienced to plug in. They don't have to be a world beater, just someone solid while a young player develops behind him.
I honestly don't know who would best serve the team and release Burto but it sure isn't Flanagan.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I honestly don't know who would best serve the team and release Burto but it sure isn't Flanagan.
That's where someone like Sezer if he wanted to do 1-2 yr knowing that he would be making way in year 2 of the contact. Player swap with a ESL team?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Started reading all the comments to see what was said but eventually gave up too much of the same thing be said over and over. So I will add my own flavour... to the same discussion. We are struggling with our kicking game because we either get a good kick away through Burton or we get some shit that is misdirected and short that it puts us under pressure immediately.

We need someone that can at least get a long kick away, doesn't have to be a high kick like Burton but need to get distance otherwise we will continue to have shit field position. Burton needs to have some backup maybe Reed kicking from DH will do some of that but we also need another kicking option that doesn't result in just effectively handing the ball over.
Noticed the last 2 weeks JMK has been kicking out of dummy half. The Warriors game Flanno, JMK and Burton were kicking but we were so shit and got monstered it amounted to nothing. I dont remember Flano kicking at all last week, what a surprise.
Surely Potter is trying to change up our kicking game, even Burtons kicking for field position has improved.
Avo can short kick but he is inconsistent like JMK.
Can Reed short kick, grubber etc? I havent paid any attention to his attributes.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not saying sign him due to facts including cost and he is getting on in age, nevermind the fact I think he is going to extend at St merge..
Want me to get the video of the last time he was in. a GF? At least the Cowboys love him I guess lol! Bloke is okay but he's never been a million dollar halfback?

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you that he is a better Hooker than Half back, but the lack of quality depth at 7 in the comp puts him in the top section of half backs in the comp.

But the biggest point I wanted to make was based around which established half back could we bring to the club in the next 2 seasons to make an immediate impact as did Reynolds at the Broncos.

The ability to bring them in the next 2 seasons is strictly based upon who is of contract for 2023 or 2024.

IMO, of all halfbacks available for 2023 or 2024 Ben Hunt is the best available option.