Opinion Flanagan cannot be no 7 in 2023

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I honestly believe we should have made a play for Nico Hynes when we had the chance and as much as I am a Burton fan I think Nico would have been a better option, he is killing it at the sharks, he leads by example and seems to inspire the team and gets everyone involved & we probably wouldn't be forking out so much money to keep him like we are with Burton, even Hynes goal kicking seems much better than Burtons.
A far more complete footballer at this stage...hard to fully judge Burto as yet. Nico could well look average in this team as well.

Reactions: 88

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
All the games I’ve been to I’ve noticed that before he kicks the ball, it looks like he just gets flustered and doesn’t know what to do with it. The way he drops the ball onto his leg is like a kid kicking for the first time.
Trying to put so much power into his kicks (that he doesn't possess) and he gets himself off balance, nervous and flustered.

I'm starting to feel sorry for him. His career isn't going to progress any further here, yet he could have a very enjoyable time in SL as a halfback in their structures.

Being a 7 in this team is beyond his capabilities.

He is sorta a reasonably decent player when confident but he is at a personal crossroads and should see the writing on the wall with the help and guidance of those close to him and head to UK for his wellbeing and learn to free up his play. Possibly then come back similar to the path others have taken.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every game this week is a blow out except for thursday night... roosters up 30 0 after 34 minutes
nrlol
Nrl is becoming touch footballl...when u lose the momentum and are always on the back foot it’s hard to regain control....the game is all about speed,,,,,I think we have lost the balance between entertainment and rugby league being a tough aggressive game....the mongrel is disappearing and I don’t like what the game has become

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lol at flopagun excuse. Yeh poor Lewis how he was blamed for our poor structure and now flopagun etc….

Or just maybe he was fucking putrid as is flopagun and just like Lewis, flopagun won’t get an nrl first grade contract without his old man.

Flop

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone see Buzz's sshh section in the Telecrap today. Something about us going after a gun rookie from north of the border who plays for a rival Sydney club. The drunk said he might be a handy spine acquisition.

If the Chricton rumours are true, then it must be a 7. It's not Jayden Sullivan (born in NSW) and it can't be Thomas Duffy (plays for the Cowboys) so I have NFI who he's talking about but surely he's a 7

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes harsh.

1. Brown receives better service from dummy half.

2. Brown plays with a halfback that can actually organise a team and thus allow Brown to focus on his running / passing game

3. Brown plays behind a monster forward pack that gives the halves the room to play, not constantly camped in their own red zone

Burton is being paid on potential, similar to what the Cowboys did when they bought Thurston (even though player salaries weren’t as high as they are now). It’s a risk that needs to be taken, we have seen enough to know that he has the potential to be in the top 3 halves in the game… just needs a stronger team around him so that he does not feel obliged to try and do it all on his own
Where is this top 3 potential and why is everything everyone else's fault?

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Our 7 for next year will be playing NSW cup against the Mounties at 11, stream should be on Facebook.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Use Wakeham for the rest of the year, Kyle isnt at his best.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering, other than Moses, exactly what 7 would actually complement Burto.

We are seeing some worrying flaws in his game.

Yes there's plenty of reasons why he is not looking great atm, but there's def parts missing in his 5/8 skillset.

Finding him a suitable partner to jell with his game will be difficult?
I don't think Burton's problems have anything to do with who plays 7.

A lot of his problems stem from the fact our forwards are DOMINATED on a regular basis, and we simply do not get good ball.

But with the ball he gets he is reluctant to run and refuses to take it to the line.

Worryingly for me are the amount of times he dosen't take ownership of a situation and simply shuffles it off to someone in a worse position.

Not the mindset i want in my star player.

People will say he is young, give him time, and i agree to a point, but he is 22 not 18, has won a premiership and is a SOO player. For the talent he possesses he should be performing WAY better than he is.

I thought a new position must have been created yesterday ... DESIGNATED KICKER !!!

Hopefully CC and co can get the best out of him.

In respect to your original question ....We need a half who demands the ball and is not afraid to take ownership of the team.

Unfortunately these number 7's are usually experienced, expensive and hard to come by.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't think Burton's problems have anything to do with who plays 7.

A lot of his problems stem from the fact our forwards are DOMINATED on a regular basis, and we simply do not get good ball.

But with ball he gets he is reluctant to run and refuses to take the ball to the line.

Worryingly for me are the amount of times he dosen't take ownership of a situation and simply shuffles it off to someone in a worse position.

Not the mindset i want in my star player.

People will say he is young, give him time, and i agree to a point, but he is 22 not 18, has won a premiership and is a SOO player. For the talent he possesses he should be performing WAY better than he is.

I thought a new position must have been created yesterday ... DESIGNATED KICKER !!!

Hopefully CC and co can get the best out of him.

In respect to your original question ....We need a half who demands the ball and is not afraid to take ownership of the team.

Unfortunately these number 7's are usually experienced, expensive and hard to come by.
Exactly right.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When’s Dylan Brown available. Said it a while ago, say it again.
Fuck Moses