Opinion Fittler as coach?

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bro there’s all crack heads on here straight out I can’t believe what I read sometimes on here
Just how long have YOU followed the team or club out of interest.

You sound like someone with a very large chip on their shoulder who only sees things in black and white, certainly NOT blue and white.

I've followed the Club since the late '70's when we were the 'Berries. I want to see what is best for the club and that's only my opinion.

You don't like it, fine but don't get yourself all worked up over something that you don't agree with.

Makes you sound very immature.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad Fittler coaching highlights:

- Played Anasta at fullback
- Dropped JAC, Jake Turbo and took an L
- played a debutant centre on the bench in origin
- Made players walk around barefoot on the grass
- had the most star studded blues team in 20 years and still managing to make origin look difficult, lost the 2020 series to the worst qld team ever on paper

Sign him up Gus

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

- had the most star studded blues team in 20 years and still managing to make origin look difficult, lost the 2020 series to the worst qld team ever on paper

Sign him up Gus
I actually don't mind going with an outside back on the bench who can cover 1-5, ideally 1-7, but hard to find (probably need to also have a forward that can cover hooker too). With HIA's/injuries in theory it's the best way to set-up your team/bench imo. The biggest problem was starting Wighton over Crichton imo, but Wighton had a good game I guess.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget working for Gus, can they handle us. They will get ripped apart within 5 games. Good luck to the successful sucker candidate.
You are absolutely right, someone on TK will start a sack the coach thread as soon as he is announced.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sign him up Gus
I saw some similarities to our attack last night, from the Blues. Same silly errors in early tackles, and same loss of direction when attacking the line.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with you.
Im a qld supporter but I also felt the game was very good and very close. Could have gone either way. NSW had 2 tries (correctly) disallowed while QLD butchered a couple.

I cant blame Fitler. His halves just didn't get the job done. They were quite poor meanwhile QLD halves along with Val Holmes were exceptional.

My initial criticism of Fitler was that maybe Chrichton should have started with Wighton as utility on bench but that was quickly justified with the first try.

The one thing NSW needs to look at is how much of a difference Harry Grant makes to getting QLD over the ad line, while Cooky is less threatening.
Good summary of the game. I thought the halves on both sides were about equal, but the defence from Holmes was outstanding. Tedesco was OK, but had nowhere near the impact that Turbo would have brought to the attack, and Ado Carr's speed was missing.

The Blues couldn't settle, and began to push passes rather than play to their structure; and it resulted in some sloppy errors. The Maroons played a very different game once they took the lead. There was more confidence and more aggression.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s a theory:

Fittler has gotten an interest in being an NRL coach again after all the media hype. The only club he would suit is the roosters. He takes over from Robinson and robbo comes to the dogs. Gus knows he needs a big name coach. Robbo is arguably the third biggest name currently. He isn’t going that great currently at the roosters. They bring in Fittler who is a club legend and can coach a team full of stars which the roosters will have as long as Uncle Nick is alive.

It’s crazy, but it kind of makes sense.
People talking up Robbinson should not forget that in the background the Rotters have Politis, who can pull any string he wants in the NRL.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Fittler should not be touched by the dogs... Wighton in the centres, chrighton in the bench.......

Players playing out of position is what we have had to put up with for the past few years...

After tonight, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Billy Slater as coach of the dogs... Unsure if he would be interested and haven't read further back to see if anyone had spoken of him...

But I think you would get the buying ability that came with Barrett (able to attract star players)... But has the Melbourne mentality and should be able to put in the similar structures around the place as Melbourne... Mix that in with what Gus can do, and probably have a well run club within a couple of seasons...
Slater would be OK, if he brought the Qld team with him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Sign him up Gus
You forgot - Won the spoon with the Roosters

That hadn't happened at the Roosters for years before or come close to happening since. Says a lot about how bad Freddy was.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As bad as his selections are, his coaching of the team and tactics are just as bad. He has all of that talent and they play one out footy the whole game. There was no plan B when they fell behind..

Everything was one out and then a block play on tackle 4. Queensland figured it out all game but Supercoach Freddy never made an adjustment.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just how long have YOU followed the team or club out of interest.

You sound like someone with a very large chip on their shoulder who only sees things in black and white, certainly NOT blue and white.

I've followed the Club since the late '70's when we were the 'Berries. I want to see what is best for the club and that's only my opinion.

You don't like it, fine but don't get yourself all worked up over something that you don't agree with.

Makes you sound very immature.
I was born in the early 80s 81 in fact so pretty much since then I’m far from worked up to be true seems like your the one who’s all worked up cause your the one who wrote this Fittler shouldn’t even be thought of his name shouldn’t even be mentioned like I said anyone who thinks otherwise has a serious problem not my fault you can’t take little sledges

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Slater comprehensively out maneuvered Fittler in all aspects of the game.
Even with the QLD injuries he managed the team very well. Fittlers use of the bench was abysmal as well.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You forgot - Won the spoon with the Roosters

That hadn't happened at the Roosters for years before or come close to happening since. Says a lot about how bad Freddy was.
1966 was the last time the Roosters won the spoon before he led them to one in 2009.

Freddy makes Baz look like Craig Bellamy.

Reaction score
As bad as his selections are, his coaching of the team and tactics are just as bad. He has all of that talent and they play one out footy the whole game. There was no plan B when they fell behind..

Everything was one out and then a block play on tackle 4. Queensland figured it out all game but Supercoach Freddy never made an adjustment.
that sounds just like another 5/8 turned coach we all know

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I personally think our club can do better than signing the Supercoach.