Fittler as coach if Barrett doesn't work out ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus has a big opinion of Fittler as a potential NRL coach.

If Barrett proves unsuccessful with us next year I'd think Gould would have Fittler next in line IF he's still available by then

I'm no big fan of Fittler but I think he'd make a better coach than Barrett simply because he isn't shy of making hard calls. He doesn't shy away from telling players the truth about poor performances or from dropping underperforming players either.

Another option would be to get rid of Furner and bring in Marc Brentnall as an assistant coach but for attack. Brentnall is the son of our 1980 Premiership winning fullback Greg Brentnall. Currently an assistant coach to Craig Bellamy. Throw him a bit more money and he can replicate the Storm system.

I'd even consider bringing back Pay maybe as our defensive coach. I remember a period under Pay when we had the best defence in the comp. Would make a good PR story too after he was sold a shit sandwich by the club. Barrett might not be thrilled with this idea but he hasn't really earned the right to pick his own staff has he ?

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus has a big opinion of Fittler as a potential NRL coach.

If Barrett proves unsuccessful with us next year I'd think Gould would have Fittler next in line IF he's still available by then

I'm no big fan of Fittler but I think he'd make a better coach than Barrett simply because he isn't shy of making hard calls. He doesn't shy away from telling players the truth about poor performances or from dropping underperforming players either.

Another option would be to get rid of Furner and bring in Marc Brentnall as an assistant coach but for attack. Brentnall is the son of our 1980 Premiership winning fullback Greg Brentnall. Currently an assistant coach to Craig Bellamy. Throw him a bit more money and he can replicate the Storm system.

I'd even consider bringing back Pay maybe as our defensive coach. I remember a period under Pay when we had the best defence in the comp. Would make a good PR story too after he was sold a shit sandwich by the club. Barrett might not be thrilled with this idea but he hasn't really earned the right to pick his own staff has he ?

Yeh like that one time he put Braith Anasta at fullback.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No. The only coach I can currently see as a replacement is Flanagan and he'll be off the market soon. Also it's a massive cluster F changing coaches (different coaches fancy different players), we need to hope it doesn't get to that point.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nah Fittler us a fuckwit... Has always taken shots at us on the sunday footy show... He also always has a cry about how the roosters are so hard done by, absolute flog... Oh and did I forget to mention he's a shit origin coach who lost NSW the unloseable series due to his shit selections

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
All these suggestions are sideway moves at best and aren’t worth the upheaval of making sackings if these are your replacements. You say your no big fan of Fitler but want him as coach? You’ll be making another impulsive thread after 2 weeks wanting him sacked.

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely not. We have, as a club been regressing, and the regression has to stop.
Appointing this guy is the most stupid suggestion yet.
Any success he had at Origin level was because of the input from Craig Fitzsimmons.
He is not a top grade coach.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What's your definition of successful?
Barrett should be given another two years before we think about changing horses again. We're not even 12 months into the long term plan.
Patience is not in the vocabulary of many in this place. Short term gratification should be directed towards other pursuits not building a successful nrl club.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn’t do it. He’s so biased to the roosters and seeing as his last NRL match was spoiled by the Bulldogs in the 2004 GF this bloke still hasn’t let it go. You can just hear in his voice he hates Canterbury and every time someone does something to one of those Eastern Suburbs fairies on the field he gets staunch. You should’ve seen how defensive he got of Tedesco when he gets hit high. If Tedesco is gonna run and crouch at the same time I say tough shit you deserve to get caught round the head.