Fittler adds Pangai Junior to Origin squad

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tevita Pangai Junior has been invited the NSW Blues’ Sydney camp next month.

NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler has added star Bronco Tevita Pangai Junior to the extended 32-man Origin squad that will attend a camp in Sydney next month.

The 22-year old must now make a call on on which team he will represent next year, the Blues or Tonga.

Fittler sent Pangai Junior the invite with the hope that he would pick NSW, but does not want to put pressure on the gun back-rower.

“For most of them it will be the first time we’ve seen them since after the series,” Fittler told Fox Sport.

“It puts a full stop on finalising the year and getting their feedback from this year’s series and also allows us an opportunity to look ahead for our defence of the shield in 2019.

Pangai Junior has previously said he wants to represent Tonga, but has also expressed a desire to play Origin.

Fittler’s squad features 19 players from the 2018 series-winning side, while adding six new names to the mix.

Pangai Junior is one of six players who have not played Origin before, along with Nick Cotric, Dale Finucane, Cameron Murray, Ryan James, Luke Keary and Jordan McLean.

SEE ALSO: Blues announce 32-man training camp squad
Extended Origin squad:
Jack Bird (Brisbane Broncos)
Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Penrith Panthers)
Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)
Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)
Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Nick Cotric (Canberra Raiders)
Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)
Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)
Jack De Belin (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Dale Finucane (Melbourne Storm)
Blake Ferguson (Parramatta Eels)
Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Wade Graham (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
Ryan James (Gold Coast Titans)
Josh Jackson (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters)
David Klemmer (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
James Maloney (Penrith Panthers)
Jordan McLean (North Queensland Cowboys)
Latrell Mitchell (Sydney Roosters)
Cameron Murray (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Tyrone Peachey (Gold Coast Titans)
Mitchell Pearce (Newcastle Knights)
Tevita Pangai Junior (Brisbane Broncos)
Matt Prior (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
James Roberts (Brisbane Broncos)
Tariq Sims (St George Illawarra Dragons)
James Tedesco (Sydney Roosters)
Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Paul Vaughan (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Aaron Woods (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)

https://www.zerotackle.com/fittler-adds-pangai-junior-to-origin-squad-38326/

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How does jack bird get picked hes been rubbish

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why do they need to have a SOO camp in December?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And thats the first step to get him to the Roosters ...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Im sick of QLD and NSW trying to claim and poach any available player for Origin. I know they can still represent their country now but it just bastardises the International game.

As if the other few hundred players Origin selectors have to choose from isn't enough?

I hope TPJ turns his back on them like Fifita did. The only way the International game will grow is if it's treated more seriously and we have more tests where nations like Tonga and Samoa get equal pay to Origin and Australian rep players.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im sick of QLD and NSW trying to claim and poach any available player for Origin. I know they can still represent their country now but it just bastardises the International game.

As if the other few hundred players Origin selectors have to choose from isn't enough?

I hope TPJ turns his back on them like Fifita did. The only way the International game will grow is if it's treated more seriously and we have more tests where nations like Tonga and Samoa get equal pay to Origin and Australian rep players.

pshh Fifita just thought he was too good / knew he wasn't going to be picked... but I agree with the other sentiments

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

The dude was born in Australia. Now if you want to talk about guys like Kaufusi and Ofahengue, both were born in Tonga and schooled in NZ different story - but TPJ is good game.

Same story for Su'a, who is Queenslander via NZ and Samoa

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The dude was born in Australia. Now if you want to talk about guys like Kaufusi, Su'a and Ofahengue all who were born in Tonga and schooled in NZ different story - but TPJ is good game.
I know he was and he was brought up around Newcastle from memory. But he's one of Tongas best players and I hope they all keep rejecting Origin and the NZ/Australian test teams so more money and exposure is given to the test arena.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
pshh Fifita just thought he was too good / knew he wasn't going to be picked... but I agree with the other sentiments
Fittler was practically begging him in the media though. He would have been picked for sure. I hate him too but he's an absolute game breaker.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The dude was born in Australia. Now if you want to talk about guys like Kaufusi, Su'a and Ofahengue all who were born in Tonga and schooled in NZ different story - but TPJ is good game.
Jayden Su'a is Samoan

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
TPJ has chosen NSW over Tonga! He will be on the NSW bench in 2019.