Fitness is a major concern

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In our last 3 games, in the final 20 of all games, we hit a wall.

I notice that it effects our attack the most. It seems very very lethargic in this final phase. Doesnt matter if we are winning or losing.

Today in the final 20, the possession was 70-30 our way yet we just had no energy when attacking on the try line. Same with the Saints game.

The team hits a brick wall in the final and our training is not good enough for the new rules.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Completely disagree
Our fitness is far better than most teams and was the reason we stayed in this. Our contact and strength is very weak always giving yardage easier than most in Defence and getting muscled too easily coming out from our end.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
In the last 15-20 mins in the last 3 weeks we've come up with a crucial last tackle error.
Dragons - Lewis kicks the ball in McInnes head.
Knights - Lewis kicked the ball into someone can't remember who.l
Eels - Lewis instead of kicking hits Montoya short for him to kick out on the full.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the last 15-20 mins in the last 3 weeks we've come up with a crucial last tackle error.
Eels - Lewis instead of kicking hits Montoya short for him to kick out on the full.
Whats the common denominator in all those examples???

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
No urgency is more of a concern atm. Every single play, every tackle is just going through the motions. The differences between their warm ups and actual gameplay are not that far apart.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I think it’s speed rather than fitness. Watch Lewis or JMK take off... their legs move but they don’t go anywhere . Their like cartoon characters... !!!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In our last 3 games, in the final 20 of all games, we hit a wall.

I notice that it effects our attack the most. It seems very very lethargic in this final phase. Doesnt matter if we are winning or losing.

Today in the final 20, the possession was 70-30 our way yet we just had no energy when attacking on the try line. Same with the Saints game.

The team hits a brick wall in the final and our training is not good enough for the new rules.
We totally outplayed them in the second half and pushed them until the very end. Fitness is not our deficiency, lack of potent attacking players is. Last week we competed at 91%, if we were unfit there is no way we would havebeen able to comlete like that.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Needed Cogger on for Lewis in the last 15. Lewis was buggered.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If our halves were smart we should be putting the ball in goal along the ground more often and if we dont score we get a repeat set. We dont play with patience and attempt to tire the opposition instead we tire ourselves by handing the ball over cheaply and having to tackle more than we should be.

Anyway I should have stopped this rant when i mentioned if our halves were smart.

Last edited:

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
4 to 2 overlap it was the right play from Lewis
And against the knights Wankham was the one fucking up because Lewis one offf the field

Move along

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Lewis hit Montoya with an overlap on the last it was a gutsy play and the right one considering we were chasing points. The problem was Montoya didn't know what to do with it. Harsh blaming Lewis on this occasion for trying to be creative which we have all been asking for.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
When Lewis hit Montoya with an overlap on the last it was a gutsy play and the right one considering we were chasing points. The problem was Montoya didn't know what to do with it. Harsh blaming Lewis on this occasion for trying to be creative which we have all been asking for.
Obviously Montoya should have done better there... But Lewis is so unorthodox and doesn't talk or organise good enough. I know every says expect the ball, but it's a lottery everytime he's got it.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don't think it is fitness. More like Foran and Lewis not standing up to the task. Lewis failed to close the game vs Dragons without Foran on the field. Foran took a back seat in the last 20 versus Knights and Wakeham almost lost us the game. Today, Foran just didn't step up. He passed a ball to Napa on the 5th and he got tackled. Otherwise, Lewis directed the team which shouldn't happen in such a situation when you are losing and have an experienced Half.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Completely disagree
Our fitness is far better than most teams and was the reason we stayed in this. Our contact and strength is very weak always giving yardage easier than most in Defence and getting muscled too easily coming out from our end.
As someone mentioned in another thread, the refs were getting us back more than ten metres for most of the game. It gives Parras forwards more time to wind up for runs and means we're easier to tackle due to having less momentum. Regardless of that, we dominated in the second half. Unfortunately the area we failed in was finishing up the set with tries. I counted six line dropouts. Even one of those resulting in a try wins us the game. But our backs didn't capitalise.

If our halves were smart we should be putting the ball in goal along the ground more often and if we dont score we get a repeat set. We dont play with patience and attempt to tire the opposition instead we tire ourselves by handing the ball over cheaply and having to tackle more than we should be.

Anyway I should have stopped this rant when i mentioned if our halves were smart.
As I mentioned above I counted six kicks into the in goal that resulted in dropouts. I don't know if it's a communication issue or just that we lack some quality in the backline that saw those opportunities go begging. I tend to think it's a combination of both. But this was probably the only game I recall in recent years when we've applied prolonged pressure in this manner. It was a positive sign for me. Hopefully it continues in coming weeks and our backs are more switched on for these opportunities.