Fishing Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alexander the Great

16 Nov 2017

A father and son from Fairfield have been ordered to pay more than $16,000 in fines and costs, after recently being found guilty of breaching a number of fishing rules and regulations while fishing in Lake Illawarra.

NSW Department of Primary Industries Supervising Fisheries Officer, Emma Corfield said the two men were convicted of exceeding the possession limit of whelks and cockles, being in possession of prohibited size blue swimmer crabs and crabs carrying external ova as well as for failing to pay the Recreational Fishing Fee.

“On Sunday, 14 February 2016, fisheries officers inspected a vessel adjacent to the Windang boat ramp and found a total of 638 whelks, 386 cockles and 42 blue swimmer crabs on board,” Ms Corfield said.

“Of the 42 blue swimmer crabs, 23 were measured below the prescribed minimum size of 6 cm (carapace shell) and 12 of the blue swimmer crabs were carrying external ova (eggs).

“Officers seized the excess catch and issued the men, aged 52 and 30, with court attendance notices.”

In August 2017, both men failed to appear before Wollongong Local Court and were convicted on all charges in their absence. A warrant for their arrest was also issued.

“Both men have since appeared in Wollongong Local Court, where they were issued with fines and costs totalling $16,589.50,” Ms Corfield said.

“The son had previous convictions of fishing offences. The father was a first time offender.

“The son was fined a total of $3,700 and ordered to pay professional costs of $5,902, while the father was fined a total of $2,700 and ordered to pay professional costs of $4287.50.”

Illegal fishing risks the sustainability of the resource for legitimate recreational and commercial fisheries. People found illegally fishing can expect severe consequences.

Anyone with information on suspected illegal fishing activity is urged to contact their local Fisheries office, call the Fishers Watch phone line on 1800 043 536 or report illegal fishing activities online.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/about-us...017/father-and-son-fined-for-fishing-offences
16k isnt enough. They should do hail2 time

A

Alexander the Great

The fish aren’t biting down here in Illawarra so better just stay up Sydney way. Especially windang bridge stay away it’s illegal
Jarvis bay this weekend was non stop sting rays and shovel nose sharks. No joke we caught over 15 between 4 blokes. :rage:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Jarvis bay this weekend was non stop sting rays and shovel nose sharks. No joke we caught over 15 between 4 blokes. :rage:
Yea, they’re always around, there. Especially around dusk.
Good for nothing though, no fight. Just like pulling in a huge bunch of seaweed.

A

Alexander the Great

Good for nothing though, no fight. Just like pulling in a huge bunch of seaweed.
5 of them were over the 20kg mark. Great runs they had but totally fucked everyone up haha

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People were flying in from interstate to go see him and when they went in, he refused to sell the gear for the prices he was advertising.

Also, in his videos he marks up the prices so that when he says he's doing a deal, he just sells it for full sticker price.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
People were flying in from interstate to go see him and when they went in, he refused to sell the gear for the prices he was advertising.

Also, in his videos he marks up the prices so that when he says he's doing a deal, he just sells it for full sticker price.
Haha haha haha classic dick move.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
16 Nov 2017

A father and son from Fairfield have been ordered to pay more than $16,000 in fines and costs, after recently being found guilty of breaching a number of fishing rules and regulations while fishing in Lake Illawarra.

NSW Department of Primary Industries Supervising Fisheries Officer, Emma Corfield said the two men were convicted of exceeding the possession limit of whelks and cockles, being in possession of prohibited size blue swimmer crabs and crabs carrying external ova as well as for failing to pay the Recreational Fishing Fee.

“On Sunday, 14 February 2016, fisheries officers inspected a vessel adjacent to the Windang boat ramp and found a total of 638 whelks, 386 cockles and 42 blue swimmer crabs on board,” Ms Corfield said.

“Of the 42 blue swimmer crabs, 23 were measured below the prescribed minimum size of 6 cm (carapace shell) and 12 of the blue swimmer crabs were carrying external ova (eggs).

“Officers seized the excess catch and issued the men, aged 52 and 30, with court attendance notices.”

In August 2017, both men failed to appear before Wollongong Local Court and were convicted on all charges in their absence. A warrant for their arrest was also issued.

“Both men have since appeared in Wollongong Local Court, where they were issued with fines and costs totalling $16,589.50,” Ms Corfield said.

“The son had previous convictions of fishing offences. The father was a first time offender.

“The son was fined a total of $3,700 and ordered to pay professional costs of $5,902, while the father was fined a total of $2,700 and ordered to pay professional costs of $4287.50.”

Illegal fishing risks the sustainability of the resource for legitimate recreational and commercial fisheries. People found illegally fishing can expect severe consequences.

Anyone with information on suspected illegal fishing activity is urged to contact their local Fisheries office, call the Fishers Watch phone line on 1800 043 536 or report illegal fishing activities online.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/about-us...017/father-and-son-fined-for-fishing-offences
We see it on a daily basis everywhere down here. The people come down from Bankstown, campbelltown, Liverpool areas and have no idea about restrictions or keeping the areas clean. It’s always middle eastern people or asian. I don’t think they’d like it if I came to there house and throw fish guts and shitloads of rubbish on their front lawns. The fisheries need to hammer these assholes harder and more often

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We see it on a daily basis everywhere down here. The people come down from Bankstown, campbelltown, Liverpool areas and have no idea about restrictions or keeping the areas clean. It’s always middle eastern people or asian. I don’t think they’d like it if I came to there house and throw fish guts and shitloads of rubbish on their front lawns. The fisheries need to hammer these assholes harder and more often
I also think more people get away with it, than actually get caught!

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also think more people get away with it, than actually get caught!
They do mate. Always just get warnings. They need to come down harder on them. I’ve fished next to people who catch small flatties, bream and even choppy tailor. Knowing they are undersized I’ll ask for a look at it looking stoked for them and throw it straight back in. What’s the point of keeping a flattie under 30cm

Last edited:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They do mate. Always just get warnings. They need to come down harder on them. I’ve fished next to people who catch small flatties, bream and even choppy tailor. Knowing they are undersized I’ll ask for a look at it looking stoked for them and throw it straight back in. What’s the point of keeping a flatly under 30cm
Honestly the best thing about fishing is the feeling and process you go through of catching the fish, I wouldn’t care if they made it illegal to keep the fish! The laws are there to make sure the fish are still around in the future, people just don’t have respect for the law! We live in the best country in the world, and people still try to take advantage of it! :(

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
5 of them were over the 20kg mark. Great runs they had but totally fucked everyone up haha
I spent three days down at Urunga this weekend. I caught nothing on day 1. Then caught my first ever shovel nose shark about 1km from the caravan park fishing an incoming tide. It was about 1.5 feet long and i probably got lucky since i just corner hooked it in the mouth, but it displayed very little fight and i let it go since i had no idea if they were legal. I found out later that they're meant to be good to eat. The next two days i caught about 15 undersized bream but had fun exploring Urunga even though I didn't catch the feed i was hoping to. I was at least catching some small stuff to keep interested. I will take my kayak down next time and hopefully get into some better fishing holes.

A

Alexander the Great

Crook

Status
Not open for further replies.