Fishing and your fishing set up.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright fisho's I need some sound advice. Been fishing lately with some soft plastics. Just estuary fishing with a mate to get onto anything that bites. I've found the soft plastics to be a bit crappy, my mate only uses worms and is catching a few bream and whiting on the last outing and I was empty handed. I've tried a few different setups with 1/4 to 1/8th jigs and 2.5" to 3" zman softies, also tried a few techniques with retrieving. Any advice from those experienced or should I go back pumping yabbies and sourcing worms?
Cheers

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Alright fisho's I need some sound advice. Been fishing lately with some soft plastics. Just estuary fishing with a mate to get onto anything that bites. I've found the soft plastics to be a bit crappy, my mate only uses worms and is catching a few bream and whiting on the last outing and I was empty handed. I've tried a few different setups with 1/4 to 1/8th jigs and 2.5" to 3" zman softies, also tried a few techniques with retrieving. Any advice from those experienced or should I go back pumping yabbies and sourcing worms?
Cheers
Hey TG I've been using soft plastics all my life cause most bait makes me crook as. Anyway if you are chasing bream you might have to go to a lighter jighead like 1/16th and try gulp softies. I use gulp nemesis in nuclear chicken as go to lure,slow ur retrieve right down because bream will quite often pick it up off the bottom when it's just sitting there. Fatties go 3 or 4 inch curl tail,prawn,nemesis or shad style on 1/4 to 1/8th jig head depending on tide etc. Z Man softies in motor oil gold are also a five colour. Happy fishing and tight lines bro!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Been practicing some casting with my Diawa Laguna bait caster reel at work lol

Fair few birds nests

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cheers
Stick with the plastics mate, most versatile thing out there,
1/4 to heavy for my liking for bream, flathead fine
Also what pound line are you using and what type of line
Bream are pretty smart and if your using to heavy of line especially in clearer water you will struggle to get a bite
I love the gulp crabbys for bream, but those z mans are great too
Remember clear water lighter or translucent plastics
Dirty water darker plastics as a rule of thumb but not a golden rule’
And fish structure, oyster leases, pylons, tree lay downs, a pile of rocks amongst sand and vice versa. Anything different to the surrounding water
Good place to start

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
You will get outfished most times lures vs bait unless you are targeting flathead and tailor

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Friend I was fishing with caught 4 school jew on nippers and I caught 1 just last weekend. Incredible bait

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cheers
Tried and failed big time with soft plastics. I find that you can't beat the dirty old prawns in salt water. I use hard body lures in freshwater or the humble worm. Been getting great results on worm at my local fishing hole. Caught ten redfin last outing in a couple of hours. Nothing exciting in terms of size. But I use two rods when I fish bait and it's nice when you get double hook ups.

Best thing lately is that I don't need to dress like a fucking eskimo to get out fishing.

Been practicing some casting with my Diawa Laguna bait caster reel at work lol

Fair few birds nests

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
received_844826463199919.jpeg
received_807755713754037.jpeg

Just caught this stonker trevally on savage gear black and gold curl tail 3 inch.
Plus 2 flatty in 30 mins. Couldn't catch shit on lures this past outings weekend but that's standard lol

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Plus 2 flatty in 30 mins. Couldn't catch shit on lures this past outings weekend but that's standard lol
An uncle of mine got me hooked on fishing when i was about 10. He gave me two great pieces of advice, you wont catch fish sitting in your loungeroom talking about it and fish dont read books.

Its always amazed me that sometimes you can go fishing at the perfect time and tide, the best bait/gear and conditions and catch absolutely nothing. And yet I have gone other times late after sleeping in drunk, flat seas with no white wash, shit bait and an even worse attitude and caught stonker Salmon and Tailor one after the other...

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
An uncle of mine got me hooked on fishing when i was about 10. He gave me two great pieces of advice, you wont catch fish sitting in your loungeroom talking about it and fish dont read books.

Its always amazed me that sometimes you can go fishing at the perfect time and tide, the best bait/gear and conditions and catch absolutely nothing. And yet I have gone other times late after sleeping in drunk, flat seas with no white wash, shit bait and an even worse attitude and caught stonker Salmon and Tailor one after the other...
Exactly all of that. I have had many cracking sessions where I thought I'd cracked the code but try and recreate it with the same conditions and it barely ever happens. Best time to go fishing is when you feel like it.

The tailor I posted earlier in the thread was mid morning after I dropped my kid off to school and fucked around. Mid tide, flat seas and stuff all white wash

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have been doing most of my fishing on tinder recently following the breakdown of my most recent tryst. Mostly netting whales so far fuck sake
As long as your not catching crabs mate……..